Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Also, since the card is linked to your MileagePlus number, your United account will recognize that you have a United card for the purposes of enhanced award availability. That may happen prior to your receiving the physical card.

However, to use the card as a payment method like you asked, you need the physical card for that.[/QUOTE]

thank you, I should have been clearer...that the card is available in my mileage plus account for enhanced award availability and to use for purchase of United tickets. Now I am just trying to figure out when the card becomes electronically available for United purposes only, as I wait for the snail mail delivery.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question How to be sure I'm past the 24 month period for 5/24?

I believe that I am past the 24 month period for the 5/24 rule and that if I apply for a card (say, Hyatt) I'll qualify for the initial spending bonus. But I have not kept good enough records to be certain. A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to check this by simply calling the card application number, and have the CSR check it for me?
2. If the answer to the first question is no, or if I'm applying for my wife (I usually handle her cc applications) and the CSR understandably might not give me the info for her over the phone, is there an alternative way of being sure about this?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Feb 9, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I believe that I am past the 24 month period for the 5/24 rule and that if I apply for a card (say, Hyatt) I'll qualify for the initial spending bonus. But I have not kept good enough records to be certain. A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to check this by simply calling the card application number, and have the CSR check it for me?
2. If not possible under #1 , or if I'm applying for my wife (I usually handle her cc applications) and the CSR understandably might not give me the info for her over the phone, is there an alternative way of being sure about this?

Thanks for any help.
It might be a little tedious, but if you've paid all of your credit-card bills from the same checking account for the past couple of years, you can probably determine this by carefully going through your check register to figure out when you started making payments to a new credit card.

You could also order your annual free credit report from one or more of the credit-reporting agencies to see when your most recent cards were opened. More info on obtaining the free credit reports here, courtesy of the FTC:

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-pro...-credit-report
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Generally speaking, 5/24 has always applied to business credit cards. If you are already at 5/24, you would not be approved for a Chase Business card. However, business cards (generally speaking, with a few exceptions) do not count towards 5/24. So, for example if you were at 4/24 and applied for a business credit card and got approved, from Chase's perspective you would still be at 4/24, the new business card does add to your 5/24 count. Make sense?

So in your case, already being at 5/24, you got the expected outcome.

Regards
Thanks bud. I went crazy last Nov and got 5 credit cards within 3 weeks LoL. It's going to be a long 21 more months.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Check your credit report for the number of cards you've opened in the last 24 months. There are many ways to do that, I use the free Experian app.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Pop into a Chase bank branch and have them check.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:55 pm

Csp. I was an authorized user . Now I applied and approved for card myself . Am I eligible for welcome bonus ? Thank you
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Yes, You're eligible for the Welcome bonus since you never receive the bonus as an A/U.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:23 am

2. If the answer to the first question is no, or if I'm applying for my wife (I usually handle her cc applications) and the CSR understandably might not give me the info for her over the phone, is there an alternative way of being sure about this?

Thanks for any help.
It's impossible for Chase to know what your 5/24 count is unless they pull your credit, so that's a non-starter.

Simply check your credit reports, use Credit Karma and/or the Experian app. It's all free. Count the cards that have an Open Date that's less than 24 months. Make sure you also include any cards that may be closed.
RNE likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:08 pm

Footnote to my denied in branch preapproval:

I heard from Chase "branch escalation" agent who basically said nothing could be done. Also talked to business reconsideration rep who said same thing. Lesson: in branch preapproval does not bypass 5/24, at least in this case.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex
I applied to a Chase Business card (United Business) 10 days ago. I received confirmation email.
I have one Chase business card a few Chase personal cards but just 4/24. (not 5/24 or more)
But 'Application Status' in my Chase online account has been showing "No Application Activity" in my online account.

Should I be concerned? Is there any way to check my application status online?
I don't want to contact a rep since I don't have a "real" business.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by guv1976
It might be a little tedious, but if you've paid all of your credit-card bills from the same checking account for the past couple of years, you can probably determine this by carefully going through your check register to figure out when you started making payments to a new credit card.

You could also order your annual free credit report from one or more of the credit-reporting agencies to see when your most recent cards were opened. More info on obtaining the free credit reports here, courtesy of the FTC:

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-pro...-credit-report
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Check your credit report for the number of cards you've opened in the last 24 months. There are many ways to do that, I use the free Experian app.
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Pop into a Chase bank branch and have them check.
Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's impossible for Chase to know what your 5/24 count is unless they pull your credit, so that's a non-starter.

Simply check your credit reports, use Credit Karma and/or the Experian app. It's all free. Count the cards that have an Open Date that's less than 24 months. Make sure you also include any cards that may be closed.
A belated but big thanks to all for the useful replies.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by linaseta
Have applied for the united explorer card 2 weeks ago and it still says we will be notified in 30 days. Should I call them to inquire or keep waiting? How long should I wait before taking any action other can calling the bot?
For the record, if it helps someone in the future, I called the bank and it was on hold becuz i had reached my credit limit with chase. Just had to move credit around and got approved. I had the "we'll get back to you in writing within 30days" the entire time. So if you are sure u should be approved by any metric, I would recommend to call early (and not wait like it says in the wiki above). I just wasted 2+ weeks waiting around for a notice that never came and I had some urgent stuff I wanted to put on it.

Also, you CAN get the United Explorer card expedited. But there is a VERY narrow window to achieve this. They can only do it when they have it on hand, so they have to wait until after the number is issued by united and before reaching the mailing department. You essentially need to call in right in that period, because they cant put it in the notes before the numbers are issued. So if you urgently need ur card, CALL EVERY 2-3 hrs in the 2 days following approval. For me it worked out to be noon the second day after approval.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Hoping someone can answer my question..

I fall under 5/24 tomorrow 2/21/2020, and want to apply for the new IHG CC. Do you think 2/23 is too soon to apply? Do I have to wait another month? Also planning to apply for the UA 60k. Chase would allow for 2 applications at 4/24 still?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Hoping someone can answer my question..

I fall under 5/24 tomorrow 2/21/2020, and want to apply for the new IHG CC. Do you think 2/23 is too soon to apply? Do I have to wait another month? Also planning to apply for the UA 60k. Chase would allow for 2 applications at 4/24 still?
Same question. Today I'm at 5/24 and change to 4/24 tomorrow. I want to apply for the United Business 100,000 offer, hate to miss out on that one. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 days delay will be sufficient, but haven't found any supporting data points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.