Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the cardsuch as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not availablethe card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:55 pm

Raise AF please,.kick some people off. They can instead get an Amex for "status".
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Raise AF please,.kick some people off. They can instead get an Amex for "status".

???

this isnt an airline frequent flyer program with people competing for first class upgrades.

How does the number of CSR card holders affect you?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
???

this isnt an airline frequent flyer program with people competing for first class upgrades.

How does the number of CSR card holders affect you?
Don't want to see CSR become a status card with worthless Hilton and Marriott Gold status. Go with Amex, let them pay for status. Chase needs to keep current structure going, especially 1.5 travel redemption which Amex can't come close to value competition. Truth is, there are too many people holding onto the CSR without actual spent, they signed up for the bonus, don't actually travel much, but are trying hard to justify the AF hoping they get similar allowances like.Sacks and food delivery. When the best thing to do is just downgrade and go get Amex to begin with.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Raise AF please,.kick some people off.
Chase needs to keep current structure going,
So, raise annual fee with no change to benefits?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:16 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... 1.5 travel redemption which Amex can't come close to .....
American Express does offer a $0.0154 redemption rate on Business Platinum, and a higher rate on Business Centurion.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by econ
So, raise annual fee with no change to benefits?
Yeah, I'm a little confused by the post. I totally agree that people who want to buy status through a card should go to AmEx rather than have Chase try to get in to that game. But... why would you want to raise the fee to "kick people off"?
355F1 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express does offer a $0.0154 redemption rate on Business Platinum, and a higher rate on Business Centurion.
To be fair, that redemption rate applies only to business/first class flights or economy flights with one chosen airline. That's a big difference from Chase's $0.015 redemption rate on ANY flight, hotel room, rental car, and anything else that can be booked through their travel portal.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Truth is, there are too many people holding onto the CSR without actual spent, they signed up for the bonus, don't actually travel much, but are trying hard to justify the AF hoping they get similar allowances like.Sacks and food delivery. When the best thing to do is just downgrade and go get Amex to begin with.
Not sure I follow your logic! People that signed up for CSR and only got it for the signup bonus and not using the card are likely not keeping the card past Year 1. Whats their motivation in Year 2 to pay $450 annual fee? Whats your source for saying there are too many people holding on to the card and not using it? The actual number of CSR holders doesnt matter in the slightest and likely has no impact on our benefits as mentioned above....we are not competing for something in limited supply like upgrades, etc. Raising the annual fee will hurt those of us that have had the card for years and actually use it.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
To be fair, that redemption rate applies only to business/first class flights or economy flights with one chosen airline. That's a big difference from Chase's $0.015 redemption rate on ANY flight, hotel room, rental car, and anything else that can be booked through their travel portal.
Amen, devil is in the details. Amex system has too many gotchas.

Originally Posted by christianj
Not sure I follow your logic! People that signed up for CSR and only got it for the signup bonus and not using the card are likely not keeping the card past Year 1. Whats their motivation in Year 2 to pay $450 annual fee? Whats your source for saying there are too many people holding on to the card and not using it? The actual number of CSR holders doesnt matter in the slightest and likely has no impact on our benefits as mentioned above....we are not competing for something in limited supply like upgrades, etc. Raising the annual fee will hurt those of us that have had the card for years and actually use it.
CSR AF is really just $150 which is too low compared to CSP. My hope is CSR raise effective AF, people jump off the wagon, then CSR raise multiplier on flights. Chase is losing money on this card, it is a matter of time. Something has got to give.

Last edited by mia; Dec 15, 2019 at 6:24 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
CSR AF is really just $150 which is too low compared to CSP. My hope is CSR raise effective AF, people jump off the wagon, then CSR raise multiplier on flights. Chase is losing money on this card, it is a matter of time. Something has got to give.
So you would want this to happen sooner than later?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
CSR AF is really just $150 which is too low compared to CSP. My hope is CSR raise effective AF, people jump off the wagon, then CSR raise multiplier on flights.
This logic I can follow BUT the likelihood that Chase raises the fee and then when theres less members turns around and gives us more points per $1 spend on flights is highly unlikely to happen IMHO. Talk here is about a fee increase and some type of credit but not on an increase in the earnings ratio. I personally think they need to increase the earnings ratio and keep the fee the same just to stay competitive with the new AMEX products or they will loose members in general.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:30 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Amex system has too many gotchas.

Chase is losing money on this card, it is a matter of time. Something has got to give.
Put another way, American Express rewards and benefits are sustainable. Chase cards are run by former American Express executives, and Chase is a me too enterprise. This is not a criticism, imitators are often very profitable because they do not have to write off failed products, but if you do not like American Express now, you will not like Chase in the future because they will mimic American Express in this market segment.
krazykanuck, lsquare and JaysonW like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by christianj
This logic I can follow BUT the likelihood that Chase raises the fee and then when theres less members turns around and gives us more points per $1 spend on flights is highly unlikely to happen IMHO. Talk here is about a fee increase and some type of credit but not on an increase in the earnings ratio. I personally think they need to increase the earnings ratio and keep the fee the same just to stay competitive with the new AMEX products or they will loose members in general.
This is where I disagree. New Amex products are absolutely garbage and CSR is now above and beyond those new Amex charge cards. No reason for Chase to keep same AF and give out more points for free. fewer points out there, the more valuable UR points are.

Since they are already losing money on those who don't spend, they should try to get rid of such CSR holders. For example some people abused the PP benefits (legally) then later restricted the benefit. Too many people are currently churning SUB on too many Chase cards today. That too has to stop sometime.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Since they are already losing money on those who don't spend, they should try to get rid of such CSR holders.
I don't get your theory. IMO the least profitable cardholders would be heavy spenders on travel/dining who don't pay interest, and the more profitable would be those that have the lowest ratio of spend in bonus categories and continue to pay the annual fee.
mia, Critterlynn and time_stamp like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't get your theory. IMO the least profitable cardholders would be heavy spenders on travel/dining who don't pay interest, and the more profitable would be those that have the lowest ratio of spend in bonus categories and continue to pay the annual fee.
CSR is VISA infinite. The more you spend the more Chase makes. Same situation as AMEX. CSR was not created to generate revenue on interest, maybe CF and CFU. This is not Capital One. You can see this on the financials. $450 AF does not attract interest payers. Bust out schemes are more concerning than making money on interest with CSR.

Let's say I have 20 credit cards, and I sign up for CSR just for SUB and 50% bonus. Yet I put flights on Amex Plat and Citi Prestage, food and grocery on Amex Gold and Cap1 Savor, and everything else on Citi DC. Someone has to pay for that 50% travel bonus, PP steak meals, Korean Airline Lounge, PreCheck, insurance....etc. Fact is churners are not profitable for anyone, except churners. Those who actually generate revenue for Chase will be squeezed if something doesn't change.

Last edited by openwheelracing; Dec 15, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.