Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by trikotret
LMAO. Those links cost them $100 more. ��
I'm relatively certain that the extra $100 associated with those links allowed them to bypass 5/24. Obviously worth it to the people who rolled the dice and who otherwise would have been precluded by 5/24 to obtain the card in the "normal" manner.
ToastedSi likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
It probably will come with a new dining credit of some form: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...phire-reserve/

And those with the higher annual fee were using scraped links that weren’t meant for the public.
These dining credits are so dumb. I hate how Chase wants to copy AMEX. For someone like me who travels a lot, I can only pray that if Chase is going down this path, it'll be easy to redeem and not limited to the US.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:29 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I’m planning on getting a CSR finally on Jan 10.

I hope I get in before the fee increase.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I really hope this doesn't turn into the Platinum with a bunch of useless, hard to get credits. I do not want to see $10 a month food delivery credit.

I COULD live with a dining credit similar to what they have on the CSR now for travel. I do not see that happening though. No company is going to give Chase an incentive to do that. These food delivery companies are partnering with these cards to advertise to more upscale millennials.

I could see them potentially increasing bonus point categories too.
christianj and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:20 pm

Ugh. Just got one; at $450 (effectively, $150) it's a great value. At $550, I can only justify keeping it for some kind of meaningful hotel status or a broadly applicable credit. Really hoping whatever they add isn't some kind of Amex-esque hoop-jumping bs or overly narrow credit category (Saks??).
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That's not going to happen....the people who have already obtained the $550 card obtained it by using leaked links that were provided via someone's url web scraping efforts. In other words, they weren't supposed to have access to those links yet.
The crazy thing is even though Chase will shut people down (especially leddit scum with 40~50+ new accounts over the past 24 months) for velocity of new credit lines, having too much credit, and category bonus abuse, people still click on those generated links thinking they won't get a manual review. All you're asking for is eyes on your account and a shutdown if they don't like what they see, and if you have nothing to hide you'll most likely be under 5/24 anyway and don't need a generated link pretending to be a targeted offer to bypass 5/24
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:01 am

This feels similar to a link for a $125 AF Sapphire Preferred that was floating around a couple years ago. That led to a "Chase is raising the AF on the CSP!" frenzy that still hasn't come to fruition.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
My annual fee just hit - still $450 plus $75 for AU. At least I'm clear for another year...
355F1 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by rdh0924
My annual fee just hit - still $450 plus $75 for AU. At least I'm clear for another year...
I'm sure they would have warned you a month in advance about fee increase
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by trikotret
I'm sure they would have warned you a month in advance about fee increase
Right. Just meant to say that if this change does occur soon, I’m glad to have “survived” another year at the prevailing rate.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:44 am
RNE

Without trying to pick a time, I believe an AF increase is inevitable. That said, $100 seems steep. Fifty dollars is more like it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I really hope this doesn't turn into the Platinum with a bunch of useless, hard to get credits. I do not want to see $10 a month food delivery credit.

I COULD live with a dining credit similar to what they have on the CSR now for travel. I do not see that happening though. No company is going to give Chase an incentive to do that. These food delivery companies are partnering with these cards to advertise to more upscale millennials.

I could see them potentially increasing bonus point categories too.
100% - I'm very hopeful that Chase understands why so many people prefer the CSR over the Platinum card and won't add any Amex style credits.
christianj and ck8 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I hope they don't go down this route. I like the CSR because it's easy. I don't need it to offer status, I don't need it to offer a monthly credit for something that I don't use every month. I don't need them to compete against card that have a much larger annual fee. If I wanted an AmEx card I'd get an AmEx card.
christianj and notquiteaff like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I hope they don't go down this route. I like the CSR because it's easy. I don't need it to offer status, I don't need it to offer a monthly credit for something that I don't use every month. I don't need them to compete against card that have a much larger annual fee. If I wanted an AmEx card I'd get an AmEx card.
I agree BUT your last sentence is the key point! Evidently people want an AMEX card since it offers those benefits and that is hurting Chase. IMHO it is not the monthly dining credit that is pushing people to AMEX but a combination of the higher points earning potential AND the credits.

Just as a comparison:
1. CSR and AMEX Gold both essentially cost the cardholder $150 a year if you can take advantage of the travel credits (AMEX is harder to use with recent changes.)
2. CSR and AMEX Gold both give you credits...Gold up to $120 for dining and CSR $100 for Global Entry/PreCheck - Here Gold has a slight advantage since it can be up to $120 per year but with CSR you only take advantage of the credit in years you have to actually pay a fee.
3. When it comes to earnings on spend, I think AMEX is the winner here with +1 for dining, +3 at supermarkets

I got the CSR when it first became available and added the AMEX Gold when the updated the benefits. Right now both cards work for me and I typically use CSR for travel and AMEX Gold for restaurants and supermarkets. Another reason I keep both is I like to diversify my points balances. IF CSR raises their fee and adds some credits I might be able to take advantage of or not, I will seriously consider dropping the CSR and downgrading to the CS card. Why? I can't totally be out because I have a Chase FU that I use as my everyday card. I think a fee increase on the CSR would be the nail in the coffin for the card for a lot of people.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:48 am
RNE

Never mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.