Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:13 pm

I'm really tired from these type of credits. Last time I used door dash was 2 years ago. I use GrubHub once a month as a pick up option to get my lousy Amex credit. No CSR going up to 550. Good thing I got approved for AR. I might switch to that card.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zeeb
. . . a monthly credit is almost entirely worthless for me. A yearly credit like they are doing for DoorDash is slightly better . . .
I don't know. 60 is a suspiciously easy number to divide by 12.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The targeted Doordash offer seems to also apply to Sapphire Preferred, Freedom and Slate cards. I don't see how Chase would point to this as a valued added feature of Sapphire Reserve as part of a fee increase.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-do...apphire-slate/
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Tried to upgrade my CSP to CSR today and was told not possible until January 13th due to system maintenance. Seems like an obvious stall until the new card rates and benefits become official.
miadukes likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:02 pm

err - I make ~100k, but reimburseable expenses are fairly high. Despite churning and churning other cards, I still put most of my non-travel-provider booked flights through CSR.

I put 10k travel on the card, 2k food, and 5k other. Most of these were non-reimbursement.
I probably put another 50k a year in reimburseable expenses on other cards (for SUB)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
The targeted Doordash offer seems to also apply to Sapphire Preferred, Freedom and Slate cards. I don't see how Chase would point to this as a valued added feature of Sapphire Reserve as part of a fee increase.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-do...apphire-slate/
It looks to me like Chase has entered a big partnership with Doordash. With the cheaper cards offering "discounts" and the AF cards offering "included".

https://doordash.com/dashpass-v2/chase/sapphire-reserve
  1. Benefits for Chase Sapphire Reserve and J.P.Morgan Reserve cardmembers

Free DashPass benefits on eligible orders for at least 12 months (and a maximum of 24 months) after activation.

2. Benefits for Chase Sapphire Preferred cardmembers

Free DashPass benefits on eligible orders for at least 12 months (and a maximum of 24 months) after activation.

3. Benefits for Chase Freedom and Slate cardmembers
    1. Free DashPass benefits on eligible orders for 3 months after activation, when the primary cardmember or an authorized user activates the benefit.
    2. After the first 3 months, the user will be auto-enrolled for the next 9 months in DashPass with a 50% discount applied to the then current membership rate.
    3. After the first 12 months, the user will be auto-enrolled into full price membership at the then current rate

The doordash benefit is meh to me, especially paying for it anyways. Lyft Pink is ok, definitely better than a Saks credit. Still, these changes will be tough. I hate that premium cards are turning into prepaid services. Give me 4-5x bonus points on travel and dining, and I'll be fine.
mia, 747FC and Zeeb like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:28 pm

Guess we're not seeing 6x points on dining then? LOL
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
So the only permanent benefit is Lyft Pink, which is basically useless because Lyft delivers personalized prices so they could just jack up the price 15% if they see you are on a Lyft Pink membership from CSR.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by 1353513636; Jan 7, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:42 pm

I don’t get DoorDash. How is it better than seamless when it charges a service fee, membership fee, and has fewer restaurants. I’d rather use seamless and not have this meaningless benefit
rmannion likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:52 pm

thoughts on increased SUB?

Thinking to apply today, then ask for a match to higher SUB. Doubt it'll work though because they'll claim higher fee. Maybe if i get lucky with a courtesy adjustment.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I don’t get DoorDash. How is it better than seamless when it charges a service fee, membership fee, and has fewer restaurants. I’d rather use seamless and not have this meaningless benefit
This is entirely location-dependent. Where I am, Seamless doesn't even operate. And Door Dash does not charge a membership fee. Dash Pass is an add-on program to eliminate delivery fees. Does Seamless deliver for free with no other fees?

I can't believe I'm defending Door Dash, who I find kind of infurating every time I try to use it, but it is false that Seamless is universally better.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:54 pm

Haha. Ya I’m in nyc where seamless for the most part doesn’t deliver with fees or service fees. Some restaurants (very rarely) may charge one or two dollars but perhaps like only less than 5%. Both you should tip.

thanks for the Insight!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Anyone notice door dash pass is under CSR benifits? I noticed it today. Other forums are seeing it. I wonder if this is the rumor.
Well this will almost offset any fee increase. I pay the $9.99 a month now so that'll go to zero.

Problem is with most of these benefits it's a zero net sum game. Either pay as a part of the annual fee or pay outside the annual fee.

So far into Jan I have earned my $300 travel and $9.99 doordash so getting there!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
My annual fee will hit in late January/early Feb, so will have 1 more year at $450, but that will be it for me. I've absolutely had it with chasing/tracking ridiculous credits. As others have mentioned, I actually welcomed the simplicity of the CSR, but looks like Chase has been gazing lovingly at Amex and decided to go down that path.

In some ways it's kind of a relief; I'm growing weary of all the upkeep in these high annual fee cards with breakage credits and I'm tired of my behavior being shaped by trying to "extract value" from these credits. At least for me, I think I'm going to start moving back to a more simplified CC portfolio.

Regards
sdix, Statman, krazykanuck and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Chase enters a big partnership with Doordash, hoping to what? grab a big slice of the restaurant delivery market which is already quite crowded?

While not the same thing but it reminds me on the previous falling on its face ventures Chase has done when trying to get into the perceivable markets of the App based transactions.

Nobody even remembers now how a big splash Chase once partnered with Apple on its payment app years ago and then it became
https://www.medialogic.com/blog/fina...nch-apple-pay/
That never really took off.
Chase Pay was then introduced and it again was plagued with all sorts of problems, so much so, JPM finally called it quit.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...-in-early-2020

Now it is hoping to use some "benefits" with extremely high breakage rate to make the AF increase more acceptable to its cardholders who have been the most loyal in the credit card market. But this group is also very smart consumers, they only are loyal because they see the value more than justified the AF. Not any more.

Shall we say that we will see good retention offers on CSR in coming months?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.