Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I considered Doordash last night as I'm in LA and one of the restaurants I was considering was actually on Doordash but ordering via Doordash would have taken another 30 minutes over just driving over and picking it up (and in reality, it was ready 15 minutes earlier than promised but I still had to return to my hotel room so my total time savings was probably around 35 minutes). I'm glad for those who can use the Doordash and Lyft benefits but my renewal this summer will still be based on whether CSR is worth $250 out of pocket versus getting 1.5% cash back each month assuming no use of either Doordash or Lyft.
Happy and Statman like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The CSR is still the only card that gives 3x pts on general travel expenses
American Express Green, Chase INK Preferred, Citi Premier.
Happy, Statman, Adelphos and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The problem is that Amex Plat is not a travel card, it's an airfare card. All your other travel expenses are 1x pts (unless you book prepaid hotel rooms; I do that maybe 1x/year)

If I only had 1 travel card it would be CSR. But I travel enough to make it worthwhile to carry a separate card just for airfare; hence the Plat. And I stay at Hyatt enough to justify a card just for that.

3 cards is hardly a "wallet full of plastic". I think that traveling with just one card is nuts (if you lose it or it gets shut down for fraudulent use it's a huge hassle); 2 is the minimum for me. A 3rd is no big deal.

Sure, if you do one family vacation a year and that's it, you don't need or want 3 cards with an annual fee. But this is flyertalk, not sit-at-home-all-year-talk.
You made excellent points here. If I carry only one travel related card, CSR is clearly at the top.

You are perfectly correct that as a FTer, we all carry more than just a few, but a bunch of cards. Some may choose to work with one reward system, like Chase UR, some want to work with more, or even most of them. Each system has the good and bad. Other than UR, you get AmEx MR, Citi TY, BofA cash and travel, Wells Fargo, Capital One etc.... All have some followings.

CCs do not really have anything to do with travel. Some people carry premium for some benefits and use the rewards mainly for cash back. This is how some people do the MSings. They can spend hours per day, like a half time job, but they do not travel.

When I evaluate certain card, I look at the way I use the card within my card portfolio. Since I get cards that have higher rewards from travel and dinning, I do not charge CSR any longer. Then I look at the benefits to see how much I get in return. I'll certainly keep any card that gives me positive return. Probably still keep it if just break-even, but keep close eyes on those. Then chop any card that is below break-even, or very hard to use and has diminishing value.

For an example, the old Chase IHG card is great to offer free room with just $49 AF. But with the FN capped at 40,000 points property, it becomes harder to use this single night. It is troublesome to move just to use this single free night. It becomes a liability, not value.

Like some people already said, if Chase makes more positive changes to the card to be more competitive, more people would come back. But CC business is still a very competitive market. Chase should have learnt from the history of CSR that the top end market is very fluid with a lot smart people. It is not like the mainstream CC customers who carry balance on the cards and can't move to another bank.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
BofA Biz Cash Choice is 3% with up to 1.75 multiplier. Up to 5.25% CB. Free card.
Wells Fargo Propel 3x on travel. GoFar is not just worth 1 cpps.... The card is free.
City Crystal is 3x on travel. Point used to be worth 1.3 cpps. But has since devalued to 1.1 cpps. People are chopping them.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

The problem is that Amex Plat is not a travel card, it's an airfare card. All your other travel expenses are 1x pts (unless you book prepaid hotel rooms; I do that maybe 1x/year)

If I only had 1 travel card it would be CSR. But I travel enough to make it worthwhile to carry a separate card just for airfare; hence the Plat. And I stay at Hyatt enough to justify a card just for that.

3 cards is hardly a "wallet full of plastic". I think that traveling with just one card is nuts (if you lose it or it gets shut down for fraudulent use it's a huge hassle); 2 is the minimum for me. A 3rd is no big deal.

Sure, if you do one family vacation a year and that's it, you don't need or want 3 cards with an annual fee. But this is flyertalk, not sit-at-home-all-year-talk.
Once again, it depends on your spending pattern. If carrying 3+ travel-related cards works for you, great. I have done the math for myself and decided that the CSR no longer is a good match for me and switched to AMEX Green. I still have other cards in my wallet with no AF and/or no FTF.
We can argue about this forever, but there simply is no middle ground to be found. Because what works for one person might not work at all for another. Even though both travel (a lot) and chat on Flyertalk.
Happy, Statman and VegasGambler like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by mia
None of which has 50% bonus at portal which I use to cash out at 4.5%
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:32 am
mia

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
None of which has 50% bonus at portal which I use to cash out at 4.5%
This is not the claim made in the post to which I replied. Chase does not provide an option to "cash out" points at $0.015. Your employer's expense reimbursement policy does this. It's fine if you are a satisfied to redeem points worth more than $.02 for $0.015, but I am not.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
The much lesser known Wells Fargo Propel AMEX also has 3X on travel but seems to be more selective though it covers the major categories - flights, hotels, taxi, ride-sharing), Dining, Gas, and some streaming services, NO AF, NO FOREX FEE..

3X
With the winner of NerdWallet’s Best-Of Award 2 years in a row, you’ll earn 3x pointsFootnote 22 on eating out and ordering in; gas stations, rideshares, and transit; flights, hotels, homestays, and car rentals; popular streaming services; 1x pointsFootnote 22 on other purchases.

It even has a Cell Phone Protection. Still have purchase protection, and travel protection on lost luggage and CDW coverage. Roadside Assistance and 24/7 emergency assistance.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/propel/

The card offer pops up every now and then when I log in WF bank account.

The drawback is this is an AMEX, making it hard to take advantage at dining outside US, even in good restaurants. We had a hard time to use AMEX Gold from Venice to the whole region of Puglia, as well as in Perth Australia, plus Hong Kong during our trip last Sept/Oct.

Also I have not looked into details on the Go Far Rewards redemption structure outside the 1p = 1c cash redemption. It does not seem to have an enhanced value when redeem for Travel.

That is another drawback - no transfer partners, nor souped up travel redemption.

OTOH it can be viewed as a Cash Back card with higher return on the 3X items, with NO AF and NO FOREX FEE. I dont think there is a CB card out there equal to this.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
BofA Biz Cash Choice is 3% with up to 1.75 multiplier. Up to 5.25% CB. Free card.
Wells Fargo Propel 3x on travel. GoFar is not just worth 1 cpps.... The card is free.
City Crystal is 3x on travel. Point used to be worth 1.3 cpps. But has since devalued to 1.1 cpps. People are chopping them.
Yeah I think the Wells Fargo Propel 3x is an underrated card. Though I haven't figured out how the Go Far Reward works. WF does not do a good job to explain it on its site. That AMEX offer pops up very often whenever I log in our WF bank accounts.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:07 am
mia

Originally Posted by Happy
The much lesser known Wells Fargo Propel AMEX...
Guilty. I do not think about Wells Fargo as a serious issuer of rewards cards, but of course there are exceptions. Our direct experiences with Wells Fargo on the banking side have been mediocre to poor, and we do not require out-of-the-ordinary services on the one inherited account that we have there.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Yeah I think the Wells Fargo Propel 3x is an underrated card. Though I haven't figured out how the Go Far Reward works. WF does not do a good job to explain it on its site. That AMEX offer pops up very often whenever I log in our WF bank accounts.
Well, people need to do the work to optimize the rewards. But if some people do not want to do the work, then I can see that CSR is easy to redeem at 1.5 cpps. There are plenty people out there. Mia did a poll of it.

As to the Wells Fargo Propel, there are ways to optimize at higher value. But some people do not know and some people won't tell. That card is free though. It can be good for people who do not travel much, even good for MSing.

There are also gems outside the big threes....
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I generally don't count business cards. Amex Green looks like a good one; I didn't know about it and I'll keep it in mind. Citi is a lender I try to avoid due to general incompetence.

For people who never use use Lyft or Doordash, replacing the CSR with Green looks like a good choice. I do like the idea of having balances in multiple programs to maximize transfer partners, but that's a minor consideration.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I generally don't count business cards. Amex Green looks like a good one; I didn't know about it and I'll keep it in mind. Citi is a lender I try to avoid due to general incompetence.

For people who never use use Lyft or Doordash, replacing the CSR with Green looks like a good choice. I do like the idea of having balances in multiple programs to maximize transfer partners, but that's a minor consideration.
MR are great for business and first class aspirational redemptions, but I never fly business or first class. Comfort+ or economy+ is all I need. And when flying with the family I’d rather use my points on hotels which my whole family can enjoy; so for me 3x on the Green isn’t equivalent to 3x UR. For hotels Hyatt wins hands down even with the move to peak and off-peak. Hyatt, unlike Marriott or Hilton, can get you 3x or 4x value for points relatively easily; even with peak pricing it’s still pretty easy to find 3.5x value when things are busy. MR doesn’t give you that for hotels. I’ve thought about getting the Green to complement my AmEx Plat but it doesn’t really make sense for me, but for those who like MR then Plat+Green seems like an excellent combo. I’d do that over Gold any day.

I also have a Plat mostly for the perks.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Guilty. I do not think about Wells Fargo as a serious issuer of rewards cards, but of course there are exceptions. Our direct experiences with Wells Fargo on the banking side have been mediocre to poor, and we do not require out-of-the-ordinary services on the one inherited account that we have there.
Interesting.

Ours are quite satisfied, in fact, far exceed Chase / PNC / TD, with TD being the worst. My husband used to joke that TD is The most inconvenient bank in US, versus their much touted Most convenience bank" referred to their banking hours no doubt. The relationship with WF started from the days when it was First Union, then became Wachovia, and after the financial crisis, it finally changed to Wells Fargo. Our accounts though, remain grandfather from the Wachovia days with only $1000 bal to avoid monthly charge, free checks (not that we use much), free smallest size safety deposit box, and some other little benefits that I forgot as not use those.

The thing I like the most with WF is its alert options. Theirs is by far the best I can see - in the sense that it allows us to be sure that IRS has cashed our estimated tax payment, our condo maintenance fee check is cashed, credit card payments pulled from our cards (Chase / AMEX and misc) happened, some expected direct deposits come as expected, and preset interval of account balances - all while we are traveling aboard, with the alert emails come to our inbox the day after the actions happened.

Chase to a certain degree has such ability, but not nearly as thorough as Wells Fargo's options. And yes, we do bank with Chase, starting from the day they had the Continential debit card earning which quickly was killed by The Durbin Amendment to the Dodd Frank legislation in what, 2010? We keep the accounts since then because they have literally zero maintenance cost as long as you do 5 debit card transactions per billing cycle on the business checking side, which carries the personal checking side... while we also heavily involve in Chase credit cards, against all convention wisdom in the blog sphere. The downside is we are not eligible to the periodic sign up bonus on opening new checking accounts, but we do participating the bonus on new saving account, used to be on annual basis now changed to every 24 months I believe. Chase has good alert options as well but the value to us is the SM service they still maintain. That function greatly differentiate Chase from other banks. I hope they do not tinker with the SM...

Back to WF - Customer service wise, it is not anywhere as good as the Wachovia days when it is over the phone but is reasonably good, no less than Chase or other big banks, MUCH BETTER than BofA which we ended our banking there years ago for their poor customer service and extremely poorly designed website (back then you could not pay a BofA credit card with an external bank using the pull method.) At the branch level, WF is always pleasant in our area, plus they have just as many, or more branches than BofA.

Years ago their tellers are forced to cross sell. As we knew now what had been going on internally... now the tellers are no longer under such pressure. Banking in person at WF branches are actually a pleasant experience other than investing some 10 min per visit.

Slightly OT - CapOne has very good CS services over the phone as well - both banking and card - totally not the perception people have (due to its root being a subprime lender and predatory card issuer.) Meanwhile HSBC in US is awful despite its Global presence, and a much better customer services in Canada.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
Suspended

If you read the financial reports from major banks, you'll see that BofA, WF and Citi have far more interest revenues from the credit balance than fee revenue. Only Chase and AmEx have very big fee revenues. But service and fees are AmEx's main business. It did not even allow people to carry credit balance.

This is one of the main reasons Chase would not give retention offers. It does not want to give up fee revenues. The same reason that Chase would not offer elite status with CSR since it does not want to lose customers on its co-brand cards and lose fee revenues. This is again the reason that the new CSR has $100 higher AF and there is no material changes with its offerings.

All the co-brand and benefits are with partners and cost Chase very little. But Chase generates more fee revenues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.