Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:20 am

Here in NYC food is almost always delivered by the restaurant itself and delivery services mainly serve as order platforms. It would be highly unusual for me to have a serious issue with food temperature and many of my orders are from very nice restaurants. Maybe it's because I'm careful about the restaurants I order from. Yet another YMMV situation but a situation in which some perceive their issues as universal.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:15 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Food delivery has been around for decades, so obviously there is a large market. I use food delivery services a few times a week.
You also live in NYC.

I know that delivery service has always been popular in NYC and SF, but its always been the restaurants themselves who did the deliveries.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:17 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by 355F1
You also live in NYC.

I understand this service has always been popular in NYC and SF, but its always been the restaurants themselves who did the deliveries.
Certainly there is a specific segment (urban and singles) of the consumers who prefer food delivery. I guess that is what Chase is targeting with this product update?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
We can all decide as to what is better, freshly cooked food or delivered food. No point fighting for it....

Anyhow, to a lot people, CSR is getting worse. That is what we are discussing. We not talking about food delivery.
I believe your argument is with this poster: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32088447-post898.html

BTW, the issue is restaurant prepared food delivered in a restaurant and restaurant prepared food delivered at home. Either could be freshly cooked, microwaved or whatever.
Rare, jamesteroh and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
I believe your argument is with this poster: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32088447-post898.html

BTW, the issue is restaurant prepared food delivered in a restaurant and restaurant prepared food delivered at home. Either could be freshly cooked, microwaved or whatever.
I have no argument with any particular individual. I'm talking about the CSR card. On topic.

I guess some people just can't tolerate different opinion. If you look at the Chase forum, quite some other people also cancelling CSR card, not just me. But I guess they do not want to stay here to voice their opinions. See:

Thinking of cancelling CSR; will I still be National Emerald Exec?

New combo after the annual fee increase by CSR?

I did not start those.

There are more people closing CSR if you read online...
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:48 am

Certain types of food are not suitable for delivery. Such as seafood, prime steaks and a lot other hot food. The most popular delivered food is cold salad, pizza, pasta and probably Chinese food. They are either cold, or easy to heat up. I'm certain all or most food CAN be delivered. But some do not hold well after possible 20 minutes of delivery.

Some restaurants outright refuse to delivery because of the food quality....
Here in NYC food is almost always delivered by the restaurant itself and delivery services mainly serve as order platforms. It would be highly unusual for me to have a serious issue with food temperature and many of my orders are from very nice restaurants. Maybe it's because I'm careful about the restaurants I order from. Yet another YMMV situation but a situation in which some perceive their issues as universal.
We can all decide as to what is better, freshly cooked food or delivered food. No point fighting for it....

Anyhow, to a lot people, CSR is getting worse. That is what we are discussing. We not talking about food delivery.

I have no argument with any particular individual. I'm talking about the CSR card. On topic.

I guess some people just can't tolerate different opinion. If you look at the Chase forum, quite some other people also cancelling CSR card, not just me. But I guess they do not want to stay here to voice their opinions.
You do realize that the post I linked is yours, don't you?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:20 pm
Suspended

When I first heard the rumor/news about the higher AF for the CSR, I immediately applied for the new AMEX Green. Got it for a month now and already received the 45,000 bonus points.
Happy with the acceptance, as it seems AMEX has made a point of convincing all of my local businesses to do so (it was different a few years ago).
Chase is now relegated to occasional use and will downgrade later to FU. Not just due to the higher AF but also the gutting of Hyatt and United points. IMO, Chase needs to step up big and ASAP add VALUABLE transfer partners otherwise they will lose a LARGE part of the premium credit card user space.
Statman and RedSun like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
When I first heard the rumor/news about the higher AF for the CSR, I immediately applied for the new AMEX Green. Got it for a month now and already received the 45,000 bonus points.
Happy with the acceptance, as it seems AMEX has made a point of convincing all of my local businesses to do so (it was different a few years ago).
Chase is now relegated to occasional use and will downgrade later to FU. Not just due to the higher AF but also the gutting of Hyatt and United points. IMO, Chase needs to step up big and ASAP add VALUABLE transfer partners otherwise they will lose a LARGE part of the premium credit card user space.
Well said. 100% agreed.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What gutting of Hyatt pts? Hyatt is an incredibly valuable transfer partner; by far (by a factor of 3-4x) better than the other major hotel chains. I redeem regularly at well over 2c per pt (I earn and burn a lot of Hyatt pts)

UA is ok; I occasionally make good redemptions but it's rare. VS is a much better transfer partner.

Amex has ANA which is valuable. I don't see the Amex transfer partners as being better than Chase; if I had to choose one I would probably go with Chase due to the Hyatt pts.

But of course I don't have to choose. Amex Plat for airfare; CSR for all other travel and dining. I also carry the Chase Hyatt card. Everything else is honestly expendable. Problem solved.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Not sure if you know AmEx regularly runs bonus on partner transfers. Sometimes it is as high as 50% more. Its partners have been extensive. There are many good ones.

Avois: BA, Iberia, AER lingus
Aeroplan
ANA
Delta
Emirates
Singapore
VA

Bonus on Chase UR transfer?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if you know AmEx regularly runs bonus on partner transfers. Sometimes it is as high as 50% more. Its partners have been extensive. There are many good ones.

Avois: BA, Iberia, AER lingus
Aeroplan
ANA
Delta
Emirates
Singapore
VA

Bonus on Chase UR transfer?
Most of those are also Chase partners.

Bonuses are nice if one happens to come up when you need to make a redemption. Usually they are useless.

The CSR is still the only card that gives 3x pts on general travel expenses, and now 10x on Lyft. I love 5x MR on airfare, but I also want bonus pts on the rest of my travel expenses. Ground transportation and accommodations add up to more than the airfare for most of the trips that I take.

Again, it's not a competition. I don't need to choose. Both cards provide huge value to me; why would I get rid of either one? Amex Plat pays for itself with IAP; the rest is just gravy. CSR pays for itself with the travel credit + 10x pts on Lyft; again, everything else is gravy. Chase Hyatt is a no-brainer for me with the amount that I stay at Hyatt.

I'm going to NY next weekend. Airfare was cheap (~$240 round trip). So of course I'm happy to earn 1200 MR with that. But also I will pay about $150-$170 for 4 airport lyft rides, so I'm happy to get 1500-1700 UR for that. And my hotel stay (at a Hyatt) is about $300 for 2 nights (NY is so cheap this time of year...). So that's another 1200 Hyatt pts.

This is all spend that I would be making anyway; I'm not choosing a vendor specifically because of a partnership. Why would I get rid of any of these cards?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:31 pm
Suspended

All reward system has pros and cons. So I never say which one is the best or better. Chase UR is easy to redeem because of its 1.5x from its travel portal with CSR. Citi TY is just ok and it has the 1.2x, slightly lower than CSR. AmEx MR system is very powerful with its extensive partner network and the transfer bonus.

You need to catch the transfer bonus where it is up. Not the time you ready to redeem a flight. With the last 40% bonus on Avios, I transferred a big chunk of my MRs to BA. You can transfer Avios between BA, Iberia and AER Lingus. BA partners with AA and it has some good redemption from time to time.

I would not say CSR is the only card with 3x on travel. Citi Premier and Prestige has 3x on broad travel too. The free BofA Biz Cash Reward can get to 3% x 1.75 (top tier) for up to $50,000 per year. That is much higher than CSR 3x 1.5 and it is free.

This is why like Dieuwer , we find CSR gets used less and less. Now people need to work even harder to recover the $100 AF increase.

But for the people who enjoy the new "benefits', sure enjoy them.
Statman likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:39 pm
Suspended

In all fairness, it really is all about spending patterns. If you drop $10K per year on Lyft rides then by all means get those 10x points with the CSR. And if you spend an arm and a leg each year on biz fares, get the AMEX Plat.
But some people only would like to use just one travel credit card instead of a wallet full of plastic.
Statman and Drewm33 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:49 pm
Suspended

In all fairness, it really is all about spending patterns. If you drop $10K per year on Lyft rides then by all means get those 10x points with the CSR. And if you spend an arm and a leg each year on biz fares, get the AMEX Plat.
But some people only would like to use just one travel credit card instead of a wallet full of plastic.
Yes, I manage a big pile of cards, both metal and plastic. Also constantly weed out the cards which are under-performing. There are just so many cards to play with.
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is that Amex Plat is not a travel card, it's an airfare card. All your other travel expenses are 1x pts (unless you book prepaid hotel rooms; I do that maybe 1x/year)

If I only had 1 travel card it would be CSR. But I travel enough to make it worthwhile to carry a separate card just for airfare; hence the Plat. And I stay at Hyatt enough to justify a card just for that.

3 cards is hardly a "wallet full of plastic". I think that traveling with just one card is nuts (if you lose it or it gets shut down for fraudulent use it's a huge hassle); 2 is the minimum for me. A 3rd is no big deal.

Sure, if you do one family vacation a year and that's it, you don't need or want 3 cards with an annual fee. But this is flyertalk, not sit-at-home-all-year-talk.
IndyHoosier and WestCoastPDX like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.