Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by RedSun
The reason why CSR was hugely popular was that, the main thing young people do is to go out to eat. Even fast food places. Several recent college graduates can go out together for lunch. Someone pulled out a fancy looking credit card and showed off his "metal" card. Then everyone asked what card it is. Chase CSR!!!

So all the friends applied for it and all got approved. CSR was really King at that time. 100,000 bonus points, good for two trips with boyfriend or girlfriend. 3x on all dinning and good other benefits. So easy to use. The card went viral, like wild fire among the young people.

Since then, things have changed. BofA has strong relationship based offerings. Citi's DC is hugely popular. AmEx Gold is a big game changer. Also young people find themselves do not travel as much as they would like to. And they do not want to keep paying the $450 AF. Then the mass exits.

Also, it is not appealing to show off the "metal" any longer. There are so many fake "metal" cards now. The actual CSR card has never changed.
You sound like a Chase marketing employee. I get that you care a lot about "prestige" and other vague marketing terms but a lot of people put zero value on that type of thing and care about what the cost and rewards add up to. It is totally valid for you to put value on that type of thing if it is important to you but it is not a universal thing.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:22 am

Compensating for something in life? Make sure you got prestige of heavy metal card that makes the best sound when you drop it on the table. Do this at Saks twice a year at the clearance rack.

I will simply hand over my thin plastic card over, no card dropping needed.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Compensating for something in life? Make sure you got prestige of heavy metal card that makes the best sound when you drop it on the table. Do this at Saks twice a year at the clearance rack.

Oh yeah... what happened when you are hanging on top of a tower clock and need about 3" of conducting materials to connect 2 high power electric cable? The person who got the metal card could do that and bam! History changed!
mia likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry

For a brief time, I handled iPad refurbishment processes for work. Do you know what the #1 complaint about the product was? Not functionality. Not poor quality. It was that they didn't have the Apple logo on the back. What is the functionality of that? There is none. However, they wanted everyone else to know that this was an Apple product they were holding."I paid for this, and this is what I want"

To some of us, these things are silly. To some, they say these kinds of things don't matter, but they lie. To some, this is a big deal, Luxury brands are a status symbol to many, no matter how much they don't want to admit it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
For a brief time, I handled iPad refurbishment processes for work. Do you know what the #1 complaint about the product was? Not functionality. Not poor quality. It was that they didn't have the Apple logo on the back. What is the functionality of that? There is none. However, they wanted everyone else to know that this was an Apple product they were holding."I paid for this, and this is what I want"

To some of us, these things are silly. To some, they say these kinds of things don't matter, but they lie. To some, this is a big deal, Luxury brands are a status symbol to many, no matter how much they don't want to admit it.
My comment in another CSR thread about cards and status: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32044507-post172.html
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Oh yeah... what happened when you are hanging on top of a tower clock and need about 3" of conducting materials to connect 2 high power electric cable? The person who got the metal card could do that and bam! History changed!
M CSR will do the trick. McFly. Don't worry about me.
Need likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Need
I never had the AmEx Plat, but I was going to say the same thing about RC card. I thought the CSP was great when I first got it, but then I got the RC card. It just feel so good in the hand that makes you want to use it. And then I went back to the CSR... and oh it is the same as CSP. Worst yet, my everyday card now is actually BoA Premium Reward (thin plastic) as I get 2.62% cash back on everyday spending. Every time I take it out of the wallet I miss my old RC card LOL. And I am not even remotely "young".
Some people just do not understand it, or still do not get it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You sound like a Chase marketing employee. I get that you care a lot about "prestige" and other vague marketing terms but a lot of people put zero value on that type of thing and care about what the cost and rewards add up to. It is totally valid for you to put value on that type of thing if it is important to you but it is not a universal thing.
Originally Posted by Super Mario

You guys read the FT threads on Chase Reserve and AmEx Centurion. They do not hand out a lot "perks and benefits". But people still dying for them. "Prestige", "Esteem", "Elite" all mean something. They come with real benefits too. We all work hard to be UR and AA Platinum. Marriott Platinum/Titanium and Hyatt Globalist....

Chase CSR does not provide any elite status, does not have much benefit. But mostly a 3x UR earning card. And its "metal" card really sucks. As I said, my family members used to carry them in wallet to show off to friends. And I had to request new cards every year. Those crappy CSR cards were peeling like candy rice wrappers.

CSR was the king with its 100,000 silly UR bonus at one time. Very popular with young people with the bragging rights. Not any more. The Lyft and DoorStopDash won't help either.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The doordash benefit is just "nice to have" but the lyft benefit is one of the best I've seen on any card -- it's a total game-changer. 15% off + 10x pts on the remaining 85% that you spend -- that's the equivalent of getting about a third off your ride. This is worth thousands of dollars per year to me (and also to many other people -- there are people who use lyft for their daily commute to work). Add the convenience of faster pickups at airports -- it's huge. I'd pay $550 / year for a card with the lyft benefit and nothing else.

For anyone who travels frequently and uses ride-sharing to get to/from the airport, this benefit is a game-changer. It's not uncommon for me to spend more on lyft rides than I do on my airfare during a trip (4 airport rides, plus getting around the city during my trip)
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:22 pm

Feels like we are running in circles. RedSon hates CSR, we got it.
richarddd and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Some people just do not understand it, or still do not get it.
I think many people understand motivations that they don't happen to share. Just because they don't care, it doesn't mean they don't understand it or don't get it.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Feels like we are running in circles. RedSon hates CSR, we got it.
... and apparently will not rest until everyone agrees. It's too bad it's drowning out any other useful discussion that might occur.
richarddd, Zeeb and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Sure, why someone can't tolerate different opinion??

Credit card is like a tool. It is not something we fall in love with...

Lyft and DoorStopDash can be good with someone. But I'm not going to optimize it while having a couple of cars at home.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:04 pm

Dear Mr. RedSun San:

I LOVE my CSR although she is burning a bigger hole in my wallet. She doesn't wear make up or wear Gucci, but she is nasty in bed.

I hate AMEX cause she cheated on me and I get a piece only once a month. Sometimes twice a year. Sometimes only if you specify which date.

Sincerely,
OWR
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:12 pm

Sure, why someone can't tolerate different opinion??
Good question, why can't you? Have you read your own posts? It seems like when people don't place value on the things that are important to you, you (correctly) point out that everyone has different priorities and thus the same features will have different values to different people. But when other people place value on things you don't, you are condescending and belittling.

Credit card is like a tool. It is not something we fall in love with...
Nor something to have irrational hatred of. If the card doesn't make sense for you, there is no reason for you to carry it, but you can't seem to accept that the card may make sense for other people and insist on proving that it is wrong for them.

Your dogged pursuit of this already got a bunch of posts moved into a separate thread. I'm not a moderator, but would still ask that you please respect that and confine that aspect of the discussion there.

Lyft and DoorStopDash can be good with someone.
The Lyft and DoorStopDash won't help either.
This is one of the main reasons Chase introduced the Lyft and DoorStopDash to attract those millennials back.
With the latest the product update of the Lyft and DoorStopDash, CSR is not good for me any more.
Yes, congrats, DoorStopDash is very clever
Rare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.