Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by williwaw
If I spend $8,350 on dining or travel, that turns into 25,050 UR points. I could just cash them at a penny per point and get $250 and cover the new fee. But realistically I am combing this with Freedom and Ink points and either spending on travel or moving to airlines. I haven't been able to get the Amex Plat to pencil for me (and there are cobranded Amex that make more sense but thats another topic.)
And spending $8,350 on dining you need to factor in the lost rewards on another card. If I used my citi cashback card and spent $8,350 I'd have $167 in cash back and that card has no annual fee
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by williwaw
If I spend $8,350 on dining or travel, that turns into 25,050 UR points. I could just cash them at a penny per point and get $250 and cover the new fee. But realistically I am combing this with Freedom and Ink points and either spending on travel or moving to airlines. I haven't been able to get the Amex Plat to pencil for me (and there are cobranded Amex that make more sense but thats another topic.)
"You only have to spend $8,350 on our credit card to break even on the annual fee" would not be the marketing strategy I would consider if I were Chase.
christianj and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blaz
I have the Wells Fargo Propel Amex which has no annual fee and earns 3% in cold hard cash back on travel and dining. If you look purely at earning rates, the CSR only has the 1.5x multiplier as an advantage. To make up the $250 fee you would have to spend $16k (250/0.015).
While I understand that many (most) people book through the Chase portal and only get 1.5c per pt, it's not hard to get much more value than that. The transfer partners are where the value is.
IndyHoosier and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
While I understand that many (most) people book through the Chase portal and only get 1.5c per pt, it's not hard to get much more value than that. The transfer partners are where the value is.
which one? I never got more than 2c out of Hyatt or
United. The others are even worse.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
BA is pretty easy to get 2c per, especially if you book business for short/medium haul OW partners. Now I wouldn’t value the cents at the actual J markup because I probably wouldn’t buy them at retail, but somewhere along the way that’s above 2c/pp.

But Hyatt indeed is the best place to redeem imo and you’ll always need a hotel if your travel once or twice a year
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few points here:
  • 2c is a lot more than 1.5c. That's a 33% increase!
  • I've never redeemed a Hyatt point for less than 2c (and I've redeemed a lot of Hyatt points). Most of my redemptions are in the 2.5 to 3.5c range, and I even have the occasional 4c+ redemption (these are rare). And these are all hotels that I would have paid cash for had pts redemptions not been available, so it's real money saved.
  • VS (Virgin Atlantic) can be a very valuable transfer partner. They have a good chart for partner redemptions. Obvious partners to redeem VS miles with are DL and NH (ANA). NH business class is a particularly sweet spot.
  • UA is a terrible transfer partner in terms of value. I'm impressed with your ability to find 2c redemptions.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It’s funny, I have my first ever Hyatt point redemption coming up (I am a Marriott/Hilton guy for work travel). I transferred 18,000 UR to Hyatt, which got me to 20,000 points (I had 2,000 stranded points from various stays in recent years); I redeemed for a night at the Andaz West Hollywood. Rooms are going for roughly $550 all-in on the night I am staying (previously rooms were about $425 when I booked). Pretty good return, and it seems pretty easy to get that consistently with Hyatt. Based on my $5,000 annual Lyft budget (pretty conservative for me), I get $525 in incremental value over any comparable non Chase option at a 1.5 cent UR valuation and $700 at a 2 cent UR valuation. It’s a $375 premium over the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Seeing 10X earnings on Lyft in practice is changing my mind a bit on this update
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:40 am

Off the top of my head, PH Vendome & Sydney where I’ve gotten 3 cpp and 4 cpp a few times. Some HP near SHA have redeemed for 5k points when room’s member ask was $200. Not suggesting this occurs all the time, but isn’t uncommon if one is judicious.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Visconti
Off the top of my head, PH Vendome & Sydney where I’ve gotten 3 cpp and 4 cpp a few times. Some HP near SHA have redeemed for 5k points when room’s member ask was $200. Not suggesting this occurs all the time, but isn’t uncommon if one is judicious.
On the lower end, many 5 or 8k Hyatt Place during busy times where rates can get up to 200-250
Happy and xov91 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
SLH options via Hyatt can also have very good returns. Just booked a hotel in the Caribbean at a 3cpp return.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:15 am

A few points here:
  • UA is a terrible transfer partner in terms of value. I'm impressed with your ability to find 2c redemptions.
I actually kind of like UA transfer because I could easily look for award tickets online. I only do international business class tickets though. Last year I got 3 tickets for 420K points roundtrip which is pretty good value as the same tickets cash could have been about $15k. I tried looking for the same tickets for FlyingBlue and they cost 240k per ticket x 3. There are probably cheaper points option using UR points but I think you have to call to looking to award space on partner airlines and such and I am too lazy to do that... easier to just search in one place online.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:25 am

There's a number of factors to consider when evaluating the value of points:

1. I have used UR on Hyatt stays in the past and have gotten about 2c out of them, but I don't consider this to be something I can do reliably. Hyatt's footprint is just too small and I generally avoid chain hotels anyway.
2. Many airlines require calling in to book award flights. Wasting an hour on the phone just to figure out how much a particular flight costs in miles is not my cup of tea. Multiply that by 3 or 4 if you want to check multiple airlines and it quickly becomes unsustainable. United does allow booking online, but their miles have been devalued into the ground, plus I only fly them if I have no other choice. I have tried looking for award flights on Virgin Atlantic a number of times and have come up completely empty. Maybe if I wanted to fly to London they would come in handy, but I have no plans to go there anytime soon. Singapore has ridiculously bad mile value nowadays (500K miles to fly LAX-NRT anyone?). In the past I was able to find value on Air France for flights to Europe, but their miles have also been devalued so much that I no longer bother. I have not set foot on Jet Blue in many many years, mainly because they don't fly where I want to go. What other redemption option is there?
3. I organically earn about 100K-130K UR per year. Most international J tickets are upwards of $3k in cash, so even at a 3c valuation, you would need about 200K UR to redeem for two tickets. It would thus take me about 2 years to earn those UR and I would have to pay ($550-$300)*2 = $500 in fees for that. When redeeming for award flights, I generally try to pool my points with airline miles. But that's just not feasible if the airline is one I don't fly regularly (for example Virgin Atlantic).

With points, I subscribe to the "earn and burn" mantra. Points and miles get devalued all the time and keeping a large stash for multiple years is a risky proposition. This is what makes the 1.5cpp redemption of the CSR so valuable, thus I assign 1.5c of value to each UR.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I have tried looking for award flights on Virgin Atlantic a number of times and have come up completely empty..
Virgin Atlantic miles can be redeemed for flights operated by Delta. All online, rapid ticketing after which you manage the booking on delta.com .
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
They add this and take away the $100 infinite credit.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:41 am

Sure, but it depends on whether or not you travel cheap. If you're staying in 5* hotels and flying J or F, then yes you can get more than 1.5x redemption for UR points by transferring. I, for example, usually fly economy and stay in cheaper hotels. I get 1.5x, but I still spend a lot less overall than someone traveling in a higher class and getting 2x or 3x.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.