Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In addition to competing with Citi Premier like Mia says, CSP also competes with cards like Amex Green (3x travel and dining at $150 before credits), Cap One Venture (2x cash / 1.5x transferrable on everything at $95 before credits). Hard to see how Chase justifies a fee increase on that card for now...
The would probably have to add another bonus category like gas or groceries to bump to $150. Maybe PP select or something like that too. I don't think it is out of the question.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by pallhedge
My thoughts:
  • Why not downgrade CSR to CFU instead of using up a 5/24 slot for it?
I might be mistaken but wouldn't he need another Chase card that earns UR points to keep the UR points live since the CFU is a cash rebate card?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
....since the CFU is a cash rebate card?
No. Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are marketed as cashback cards, but earn UR points.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by mia
No. Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are marketed as cashback cards, but earn UR points.
So that means if I have a CSR and a FU I could cancel the CSR and just keep the FU without any impact to my UR points balance? I always thought you had to have a CSR or a SP card.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....cancel the CSR and just keep the FU without any impact to my UR points balance?...
You would need to Combine the points held by the card that you plan to close into the account that you plan to keep open. This does not happen. automatically.

If you want to Transfer points to an airline or hotel partner you must have a Sapphire Reserve, JPM Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, INK Preferred (or certain discontinued cards). You can maintain the account balance with a free card, but the ability to transfer will be lost until you again hold one of those cards.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
So that means if I have a CSR and a FU I could cancel the CSR and just keep the FU without any impact to my UR points balance? I always thought you had to have a CSR or a SP card.
You need the CSP or CSR to be able to transfer to travel partners.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. You can keep all your UR pts at the no fee Freedom family when not having the fee-based UR cards.

What you would lose is the transferrability to partners, as well as the enhanced value of making bookings thru UR portal. If you dont have the immediate needs for both, you can park the UR pts at no fee cards until the needs arise then you either upgrade or do a new app for sign up bonus if qualified.

In the past our household has gone thru various periods without having a fee-based UR card when there is no such need.
Many households only keep ONE fee-based UR card to maintain the enhanced capability / benefits.

Originally Posted by mia
You would need to Combine the points held by the card that you plan to close into the account that you plan to keep open. This does not happen. automatically.

If you want to Transfer points to an airline or hotel partner you must have a Sapphire Reserve, JPM Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, INK Preferred (or certain discontinued cards). You can maintain the account balance with a free card, but the ability to transfer will be lost until you again hold one of those cards.
Reps generally are very good when you call to cancel an UR card, to make sure your point balance would be zeroed out before cancellation. Of course it is infinitely better the cardholder takes care of the transfer first before doing the cancellation.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
You need the CSP or CSR to be able to transfer to travel partners.
Ink Preferred and Ink Plus also have the same ability.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
My thoughts:
  • Why not downgrade CSR to CFU instead of using up a 5/24 slot for it?
  • Travel Spend: You might have to justify travel as biz travel for insurance purposes--if that's of value to you
  • UA Club Card-You need to be travelling on UA to access the Club
There are occasionally 30K sign up bonus with very easy spend on CFU. RNE should keep an eye out on the CFU offerings in the coming months. He is 2/24, a long way to use up his slots.

The rest of points depend on one's travel pattern, incl time of the year (weather related delays), for one really needs to read the fine print on the travel insurances so to avoid being caught by nasty surprises - not all travel delays / interruptions are covered.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
What makes Hyatt transfer that special? I see 1:1 point transfer similar to other hotels and airlines...unless nights in Hyatt cost way fewer points compared to other hotels!
Originally Posted by econ
Correct. One can redeem 30k Hyatt points for a night at the PH Sydney, where one will be lucky to find a Hampton Inn that can be had with 30k Hilton points.
Originally Posted by Need
Exactly that.
I would also add that the low end of 5K and 8K Hyatt Place / Hyatt House have surprisingly good value when it comes to cent/pt calculation, esp many of them are in decent city centers / by airports / even National Parks!

The value of Hyatt program really lies at both ends of the spectrum. It definitely worth one's time to learn about the program if one does not have much idea. The ratio of transfer is only a very small part of the equation - how much it costs for redemption as well as the inventory availability, are far more important.
GUWonder and econ like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by econ
Correct. One can redeem 30k Hyatt points for a night at the PH Sydney, where one will be lucky to find a Hampton Inn that can be had with 30k Hilton points.
Kind of off topic, but while Hyatt is great for transferring points, it is important to point out earnings rate on paid stays

Hyatt - 5.5 points per dollar with Discoverist (highest status you can get with credit card)
Marriott - 12.5 points per dollar with Gold (highest status you can get by holding a card)
Hilton - 20 points per dollar with Diamond (highest status you can get with holding a card)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Kind of off topic, but while Hyatt is great for transferring points, it is important to point out earnings rate on paid stays

Hyatt - 5.5 points per dollar with Discoverist (highest status you can get with credit card)
Marriott - 12.5 points per dollar with Gold (highest status you can get by holding a card)
Hilton - 20 points per dollar with Diamond (highest status you can get with holding a card)
Marriott wants a whole lot more pts for similar class, and at times even higher than HH.

Take the Park Hyatt at 30K - for the compatible Marriott Cat 8 properties you are looking at 85K standard, 100K peak.

It remains to be seen how Hyatt prices the Off Peak / Peak value come March. I would think it is still at similar ratio comparing to how much Marriott wants.

HH basically is just a revenue system at $0.004 per pt value in 85% or 90% of the cases. Just divide the cash rate by the $0.004 or $0.0045 and then round it up to see how many pts required to redeem that award night.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't like people throwing around the $250 number. That's very personal to your situation..
Originally Posted by Barciur
Considering that Chase is very generous with what it counts as travel, one would imagine that virtually everybody would be getting the $300 credit,
Indeed, “travel” is the whole point of the card.

We should be very comfortable referring to it as a net $250 card. If it is more than this you should probably cancel it.

Now whether it is worth net $250 is the question.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Indeed, “travel” is the whole point of the card.

We should be very comfortable referring to it as a net $250 card. If it is more than this you should probably cancel it.

Now whether it is worth net $250 is the question.
Technically you prepay and also dont earn points for the $300 credit. At the minimum, you lose 900 points worth.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
My anniversary date was, and still is, August but my travel credit renews in Dec.
Originally Posted by josephstern
Right - they changed it for new apps, I believe, but left previous users with their calendar year reset.
As a "previous user", they left mine at the calendar renewal until this year when I noticed they changed it. I called and was told that's how it is for everyone (obviously not the case).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.