Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer.

Application page with bonus offer (60,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):
https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve?CELL=6TKX

There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

50,000 UR points is worth $500 as statement credit, $750 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

Authorized User Card:
1. $75 each authorized card each year.
2. Same Priority Pass membership as the main card.
3. Same earning rate on spending. Same fringe benefits as the main card like purchase, car rental and travel insurance etc.
4. No additional Global Entry/TSA credit. Only one credit for the entire account.
5. No additional annual travel credit.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.

The prior, archived version of this thread can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1814294-chase-sapphire-reserve-csr-50k-ur-benefit-reductions-august-2018-a.html

Print Wikipost

Sapphire Reserve 60k, $4,000 spend in 3 months, $550 fee.

Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I activated and used Lyft Pink today.

SFO->Home; Uber was showing a $28-$33 price. Lyft was showing $28.99. I figured I would save my Amex Plat Uber February credit for another day and finally activate Pink. Lift showed the original $28.99 fare crossed out, with a Lyft Pink fare of $24.17. This is interesting because it's a 16.6% discount. 15% off would be $24.64. I mean, it's only a difference of 47c, but now I'm curious to know how they calculate this discount (I expected exactly 15% off, rounded to the nearest cent)

Anyway, priority airport pickup seemed on-point -- they predicted a 4 minute wait and I think the guy might have gotten there a little quicker. I'm used to 10+ minute actual wait times at SFO (even when the predictions are quicker) so that was nice. I'm going to have to start ordering when I'm closer to the door Anyway, they upgraded me to Lux for free... I ended up in a nice, new Lexus. Great driver too. I tipped him $5 (which I would have done even with no discount) so I saved $4.82, got a free upgrade and a faster pickup, and got 291 pts for the ride, which I value at about $6. I must say, I am liking this benefit. The bonus pts really put it over the top from "solid" to "incredible".

I have a lot of airport rides in the next 4 months (a trip almost every single weekend) so the savings (and points) are really going to pile up. I'm considering giving in to the OCD side of my personality and making a spreadsheet to track it.

I also grabbed a free meal at Yankee Pier when I landed in SF... Caesar salad, topped with a larger-than-expected grilled salmon steak (the salmon was really good) and an iced tea. $23 total; covered by priority pass. I tipped $5 (which, again, I would have done anyway). Overall, a good day for CSR benefit redemption.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What’s the free meal, because of the DoorDash benefit?

do you order it through their app, even for dine in, then pay with CSR?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
What’s the free meal, because of the DoorDash benefit?
No, PP restaurant (Yankee Pier is one of the 2 restaurants in SFO T3 that accepts PP).

DD is accepted at almost all the restaurants I go to on a daily basis; I'll just use it for one of those for pickup, at one of the places that has no extra fees.

I find that benefits that you can use repeatedly have more value than fixed discount benefits, though. $60 a year is nice (I'm not going to turn it down) but I save more than that in a month of PP restaurant visits.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Ah missed that part about PP.

I went to a PP restaurant at LAX in December.

Very mediocre.

Yet they had a little line waiting for tables.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I activated and used Lyft Pink today.

SFO->Home; Uber was showing a $28-$33 price. Lyft was showing $28.99. I figured I would save my Amex Plat Uber February credit for another day and finally activate Pink. Lift showed the original $28.99 fare crossed out, with a Lyft Pink fare of $24.17. This is interesting because it's a 16.6% discount. 15% off would be $24.64. I mean, it's only a difference of 47c, but now I'm curious to know how they calculate this discount (I expected exactly 15% off, rounded to the nearest cent)

Anyway, priority airport pickup seemed on-point -- they predicted a 4 minute wait and I think the guy might have gotten there a little quicker. I'm used to 10+ minute actual wait times at SFO (even when the predictions are quicker) so that was nice. I'm going to have to start ordering when I'm closer to the door Anyway, they upgraded me to Lux for free... I ended up in a nice, new Lexus. Great driver too. I tipped him $5 (which I would have done even with no discount) so I saved $4.82, got a free upgrade and a faster pickup, and got 291 pts for the ride, which I value at about $6. I must say, I am liking this benefit. The bonus pts really put it over the top from "solid" to "incredible".

I have a lot of airport rides in the next 4 months (a trip almost every single weekend) so the savings (and points) are really going to pile up. I'm considering giving in to the OCD side of my personality and making a spreadsheet to track it.

I also grabbed a free meal at Yankee Pier when I landed in SF... Caesar salad, topped with a larger-than-expected grilled salmon steak (the salmon was really good) and an iced tea. $23 total; covered by priority pass. I tipped $5 (which, again, I would have done anyway). Overall, a good day for CSR benefit redemption.
Wow. That sounds like a solid benefit. Wonder if LAX is a good? You got me curious.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, PP restaurant (Yankee Pier is one of the 2 restaurants in SFO T3 that accepts PP).

DD is accepted at almost all the restaurants I go to on a daily basis; I'll just use it for one of those for pickup, at one of the places that has no extra fees.

I find that benefits that you can use repeatedly have more value than fixed discount benefits, though. $60 a year is nice (I'm not going to turn it down) but I save more than that in a month of PP restaurant visits.
Every time I go to SFO, I make sure I grab a meal there.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Every time I go to SFO, I make sure I grab a meal there.
Only if you are lucky enough to land on that terminal. Stupid SFO terminals aren’t connected if I remember correctly last time I was there.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Only if you are lucky enough to land on that terminal. Stupid SFO terminals aren’t connected if I remember correctly last time I was there.
If you have time, you can always go to the correct terminal. I usually fly UA to SFO so it's not an issue for me.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:04 am

If you have time, you can always go to the correct terminal. I usually fly UA to SFO so it's not an issue for me.
How? I thought I can’t? I was flying AA last time and couldn’t get anywhere in short of buying a ticket to enter the correct terminal.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
How? I thought I can’t? I was flying AA last time and couldn’t get anywhere in short of buying a ticket to enter the correct terminal.
Wrong. You can absolutely enter that terminal even if you don't fly out of there. I've done it before. Just not recently.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:11 am

Wrong. You can absolutely enter that terminal even if you don't fly out of there. I've done it before. Just not recently.
I was landing.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I thought some airports wouldn't allow you into the international terminals unless you were ticketed there. I tried using one of the lounges at EWR and TSA wouldn't allow me into that terminal unless I had an internationalboarding pass and said I couldn't go through with me ticket for delta.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought some airports wouldn't allow you into the international terminals unless you were ticketed there. I tried using one of the lounges at EWR and TSA wouldn't allow me into that terminal unless I had an internationalboarding pass and said I couldn't go through with me ticket for delta.
It all depends on the airport and even the terminal. At JFK you can get into T4 with a boarding pass to any departing flight. But I’ve heard T8 has stopped allowing this.

I’ve never tried clearing security in another terminal on landing however.

SFO does connect terminal 3 and international (the western side) however, post-security. They’re building post-security connections between some of the other terminals I’ve read.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by synzero
It all depends on the airport and even the terminal. At JFK you can get into T4 with a boarding pass to any departing flight. But I’ve heard T8 has stopped allowing this.

I’ve never tried clearing security in another terminal on landing however.

SFO does connect terminal 3 and international (the western side) however, post-security. They’re building post-security connections between some of the other terminals I’ve read.
Would make sense you couldn't get in another terminal upon landing unless you are connecting since you wouldn't have a same day boarding pass for TSA to scan.

I have been able to use the PP at LAX on landing, back when Barney's had the credit I used it there after landing and also was able to access the Virgin Lounge and have access the Club at LAS on landing before. American Express Centerion lounges only allow you to enter at the departure city and not arrival.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Interesting. If I go to airport to pick up someone, can I go there two hour early, enter international terminal, get a couple of drinks and good? That would be sweet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.