Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase United Airlines credit card: keep or cancel in 2020?

Old Oct 11, 19, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

With today's announcement of Mileage Plus updates starting 2020 (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...se-cardmembers), there is no incentive to keep the Club card.

I have Club card because:
1. It removed the requirement of 4-segment minimum of United-operated flights.
2. I can spend $25000 a year on card and not worry about PQD to be qualified as a Gold or Platinum member.

This are the new rules about Chase United credit cards:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

Chase United credit card is no longer attractive for me. I spend $24000 and only get 1000 PQP. United Gold needs 10000 PQP starting 2020.

I think I will cancel my United Club card when AF is due in 2020. Would you still keep yours?
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seems fairly clear that Chase, which is footing the tab for the special treatment, is not willing to do so any longer (or to the extent it has in the past). A way of pushing the less profitable customer out the door
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:51 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo3388 View Post
With today's announcement of Mileage Plus updates starting 2020 (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...se-cardmembers), there is no incentive to keep the Club card.

I have Club card because:
1. It removed the requirement of 4-segment minimum of United-operated flights.
2. I can spend $25000 a year on card and not worry about PQD to be qualified as a Gold or Platinum member.

This are the new rules about Chase United credit cards:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

Chase United credit card is no longer attractive for me. I spend $24000 and only get 1000 PQP. United Gold needs 10000 PQP starting 2020.

I think I will cancel my United Club card when AF is due in 2020. Would you still keep yours?
A United card is still valuable to me for...
  • Free first checked bag
  • Priority boarding
  • 2 United Club one-time passes annually
  • Better award flight selection
  • No blackout dates
  • 25% back on United inflight purchases
  • Up to $100 for TSA Precheck
But I don't have the club card, just the regular MP card.
Old Oct 11, 19, 12:18 pm

The better award flight availability is what has made me keep the card for the last year, but I think it's time to throw in the towel. I usually use these miles on partners, and if I not mistaken, the partner award availability doesn't change with the credit card.

Prior to that, the bonus (10k for $25k maybe?) made it worthwhile to me, but that's been gone for a while.
Old Oct 13, 19, 10:27 pm
BCH

For me, it's definitely CANCEL. For the past 3 years of having the Club Card, I averaged an annual spend of around $90K to $100K. The day after United announced its rewards devaluation, I switched all my spend to the AmEx Platinum and I haven't looked back. When the year is up, I will not renew the United Club card.
Old Oct 13, 19, 10:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Cunard Diamond
Is there any way to cancel the card without speaking to an actual human on the phone? Hoping for an online option.
Old Oct 14, 19, 1:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by tatia View Post
Is there any way to cancel the card without speaking to an actual human on the phone? Hoping for an online option.
You can send Chase a secure message.
Old Oct 14, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tatia View Post
Might be worth the call though... they may try to "save" you with a miles bonus offer that may make it worthwhile to keep.

I keep my card solely for primary car rental insurance (and perhaps secondarily for award availability). Without those - I'd cancel too (as a UA Gold, I get the remainder of their benefits free).
Old Oct 15, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
I keep my card solely for primary car rental insurance (and perhaps secondarily for award availability). Without those - I'd cancel too (as a UA Gold, I get the remainder of their benefits free).
Do card holders get more award availability than Gold elites such as you (and I)?

Old Oct 15, 19, 11:33 am
RNE

Anymore, the cards are particularly useful to non-elites. Elites? Not so much. I think we're on the precipice of a paradigm shift vis-a-vis travel credit cards.
Old Oct 15, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Do card holders get more award availability than Gold elites such as you (and I)?

Interesting. Seems we get it as elites... so then it appears I keep it solely for primary car rental insurance.
Old Oct 15, 19, 3:54 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I keep my card solely for primary car rental insurance....
Which card?
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Which card?
the United Explorer card
Old Oct 16, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
the United Explorer card
For the same annual fee I would get the Sapphire Preferred card. Or for a bit more, the Sapphire Reserve, if it’s benefits and spending pattern make it worthwhile the cost. Both have primary rental car coverage. You retain the ability to earn UA miles (via transfer from UR) but don’t lock yourself into the MileagePlus program.
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest
Changes the dance for sure! The worst is that they are allowing Presidential Plus cards (which are legacy Continental and not available) up to 10000 PQP per year!!!! That is beyond unfair. The American card allows for 10000 for ALL cards. Embarrassing preference for sure......

Search this Thread