Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase United Airlines credit card: keep or cancel in 2020?

Chase United Airlines credit card: keep or cancel in 2020?

Old Oct 16, 19, 12:50 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 9,912
Originally Posted by Bill Roto Reuter View Post
Changes the dance for sure! The worst is that they are allowing Presidential Plus cards (which are legacy Continental and not available) up to 10000 PQP per year!!!! That is beyond unfair. The American card allows for 10000 for ALL cards. Embarrassing preference for sure......
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Why is it the worst? This is presumably to offer some sort of equivalent feature for the FlexPQM benefit that the card had before. If you had a card that had benefits taken away, you’d be singing a different tune. The newer cards didn’t have any EQM earnings feature in the past, so for those card holders it is merely a replacement for the PQD waiver.

(Disclaimer: I don’t have that legacy card)
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:00 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 181
I'll be keeping it for now, mostly because lounge access during frequent IRROPS has been invaluable. Raising the PQP earnings ceiling (maybe to 10,000 max vs. 1,000 max) would ensure that I stay with it
zoned_post_meridiem is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:48 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat and 1MM, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hertz PC
Posts: 885
I'm on the fence. I'm a 1M member, so I don't need any of the flying benefits. I have the classic Platinum card. I have no use for the card anymore (previously I was able to get up to 10K PQM with PQD waiver). But I have had the card for 10 years, and cancelling it would cause a drop in my credit score. I'm thinking about converting it to a Travel Bank card, but it's still useless to me because a majority of my spending is on my CFU and CSR.
naumank is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:21 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 8,173
Originally Posted by naumank View Post
I'm on the fence. I'm a 1M member, so I don't need any of the flying benefits. I have the classic Platinum card. I have no use for the card anymore (previously I was able to get up to 10K PQM with PQD waiver). But I have had the card for 10 years, and cancelling it would cause a drop in my credit score. I'm thinking about converting it to a Travel Bank card, but it's still useless to me because a majority of my spending is on my CFU and CSR.
Is your credit history that thin that one card would functionally change it? If you've had it for 10 years, my guess is you have other cards you've had for that long also.
josephstern is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 7:03 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 409
Revisiting an old thread. With the latest changes to the United program, in addition to the changes to the Select card, it may really, truly, be time for me to drop this card. Its lack of travel protections means I will never purchase a United ticket with it, and most of its other benefits are included in other United cards with much better benefits.

Someone please convince me otherwise. Thanks.
PackingIt is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:04 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,573
Originally Posted by Bill Roto Reuter View Post
Changes the dance for sure! The worst is that they are allowing Presidential Plus cards (which are legacy Continental and not available) up to 10000 PQP per year!!!! That is beyond unfair. The American card allows for 10000 for ALL cards. Embarrassing preference for sure......
I can think of far better places to put $240k of spend than on a Presidential Plus card...if it's all on UA tickets, you should put it on the Sapphire Reserve and get an extra 240,000 UR points which equals an additional 240,000 UA RDM. If it's non bonus spend, then put it on the CFU and combine it with the Sapphire Reserve and you'll get 1.5 points/$ instead of 1 mile/$ and if you choose to convert points to miles, you get an additional 120,000 UA RDM.
notquiteaff likes this.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:14 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,945
Check out the footnotes in United's announcement:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
The Select card just became much more valuable. 3x as many PQP possible compared to Explorer and they can be applied to 1K status. Plus the restriction of only earning on United spend goes away.
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:30 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 9,912
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Check out the footnotes in United's announcement:



The Select card just became much more valuable. 3x as many PQP possible compared to Explorer and they can be applied to 1K status. Plus the restriction of only earning on United spend goes away.
But it comes at a cost. You have to change $72k on this card to get 3000 PQP, and you can earn better rewards on other cards for pretty much any dollar you charge to the Select card. Back in my 1K days the $5k United spend to earn 5k EQM was no big deal and the 3X miles was very competitive. But now? I wouldn’t charge $72k (basically all my annual credit card spend) on this card to get 3k PQP. MSers may disagree.

for what it’s worth, a very similar current thread from today in the UA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...f-changes.html
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:58 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,530
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
But it comes at a cost. You have to change $72k on this card to get 3000 PQP, and you can earn better rewards on other cards for pretty much any dollar you charge to the Select card. Back in my 1K days the $5k United spend to earn 5k EQM was no big deal and the 3X miles was very competitive. But now? I wouldn’t charge $72k (basically all my annual credit card spend) on this card to get 3k PQP. MSers may disagree.

for what it’s worth, a very similar current thread from today in the UA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...f-changes.html
Agreed, this is pathetic. If one is trapped in a UA hub, might be worth considering. Otherwise.....not so much.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Oct 25, 19, 2:02 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SNA
Posts: 401
I'll probably drop the Club card due to the requirement to have a UAL boarding pass to get into the lounge. At this point less than half of my travel is on UAL, dictated primarily by route limitations. It's hard to justify the annual fee for how rarely I'll be able to use the lounge. But I will probably downgrade it to Explorer to at least retain Group 2 boarding. As meaningless as that is, it's still better than 3/4/5 (and over the past few years I've given up on contorting myself into loyalty to earn status, so I will probably be status-free across the board for the foreseeable future).
Cardboard55 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 10:55 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 706
Whats the downgrade path at this point? Just private message Chase and ask to convert to UA Travelbank card?

I honestly can't remember - what's the rule with Chase on getting a sign-on bonus again (assuming under 5/24)? Is it 24 months for Chase?

Thanks
lax01 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 1:21 pm
  #27  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 42,019
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
....what's the rule with Chase on getting a sign-on bonus again....
There is no global rule. I would read the terms of the offer for the card for which you intend to apply.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:26 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 706
Originally Posted by mia View Post
There is no global rule. I would read the terms of the offer for the card for which you intend to apply.
Got it - thanks - also odd but Chase is no longer allowing you to downgrade via Secure Message (I'm sure this is already known but I haven't been in the Chase game for over a year now)
lax01 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:59 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Programs: United
Posts: 2
I have a situation with United Chase card: I have cancelled it for the same reasons that we discuss above, but now I am panicking: I have already qualified for United PQD waiver on it, and now am I going to loose this waiver because the card is cancelled? I already tried to reinstate the card but Chase didn't do it. Does anybody know about loosing or not loosing the PQD waiver in this situation? What can I do now NOT to loose it? To apply for the card again?
MarinaT is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:21 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by MarinaT View Post
Does anybody know about loosing or not loosing the PQD waiver in this situation? What can I do now NOT to loose it? To apply for the card again?
The terms outlined here, while dated 2018, should be a good starting point to figuring out what you can do: [ google 'Premier qualifying dollar FAQs' -- I can't post links ] Section 4 of the terms seems most relevant.

There is no specific language there regarding the net spending having occurred on an account that remains open; BUT, you should absolutely consult with Chase and MileagePlus account service at United. Especially since they don't seem to have published rules for the waiver that apply to 2019.
csrsfo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: