Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase United Airlines credit card: keep or cancel in 2020?

Chase United Airlines credit card: keep or cancel in 2020?

Old Oct 16, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bill Roto Reuter View Post
Changes the dance for sure! The worst is that they are allowing Presidential Plus cards (which are legacy Continental and not available) up to 10000 PQP per year!!!! That is beyond unfair. The American card allows for 10000 for ALL cards. Embarrassing preference for sure......
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Why is it the worst? This is presumably to offer some sort of equivalent feature for the FlexPQM benefit that the card had before. If you had a card that had benefits taken away, you’d be singing a different tune. The newer cards didn’t have any EQM earnings feature in the past, so for those card holders it is merely a replacement for the PQD waiver.

(Disclaimer: I don’t have that legacy card)
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:00 pm

I'll be keeping it for now, mostly because lounge access during frequent IRROPS has been invaluable. Raising the PQP earnings ceiling (maybe to 10,000 max vs. 1,000 max) would ensure that I stay with it
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat and 1MM, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hertz PC
I'm on the fence. I'm a 1M member, so I don't need any of the flying benefits. I have the classic Platinum card. I have no use for the card anymore (previously I was able to get up to 10K PQM with PQD waiver). But I have had the card for 10 years, and cancelling it would cause a drop in my credit score. I'm thinking about converting it to a Travel Bank card, but it's still useless to me because a majority of my spending is on my CFU and CSR.
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by naumank View Post
I'm on the fence. I'm a 1M member, so I don't need any of the flying benefits. I have the classic Platinum card. I have no use for the card anymore (previously I was able to get up to 10K PQM with PQD waiver). But I have had the card for 10 years, and cancelling it would cause a drop in my credit score. I'm thinking about converting it to a Travel Bank card, but it's still useless to me because a majority of my spending is on my CFU and CSR.
Is your credit history that thin that one card would functionally change it? If you've had it for 10 years, my guess is you have other cards you've had for that long also.
Old Oct 17, 19, 7:03 pm

Revisiting an old thread. With the latest changes to the United program, in addition to the changes to the Select card, it may really, truly, be time for me to drop this card. Its lack of travel protections means I will never purchase a United ticket with it, and most of its other benefits are included in other United cards with much better benefits.

Someone please convince me otherwise. Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bill Roto Reuter View Post
Changes the dance for sure! The worst is that they are allowing Presidential Plus cards (which are legacy Continental and not available) up to 10000 PQP per year!!!! That is beyond unfair. The American card allows for 10000 for ALL cards. Embarrassing preference for sure......
I can think of far better places to put $240k of spend than on a Presidential Plus card...if it's all on UA tickets, you should put it on the Sapphire Reserve and get an extra 240,000 UR points which equals an additional 240,000 UA RDM. If it's non bonus spend, then put it on the CFU and combine it with the Sapphire Reserve and you'll get 1.5 points/$ instead of 1 mile/$ and if you choose to convert points to miles, you get an additional 120,000 UA RDM.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Check out the footnotes in United's announcement:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
The Select card just became much more valuable. 3x as many PQP possible compared to Explorer and they can be applied to 1K status. Plus the restriction of only earning on United spend goes away.
Old Oct 17, 19, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Check out the footnotes in United's announcement:

The Select card just became much more valuable. 3x as many PQP possible compared to Explorer and they can be applied to 1K status. Plus the restriction of only earning on United spend goes away.
But it comes at a cost. You have to change $72k on this card to get 3000 PQP, and you can earn better rewards on other cards for pretty much any dollar you charge to the Select card. Back in my 1K days the $5k United spend to earn 5k EQM was no big deal and the 3X miles was very competitive. But now? I wouldn’t charge $72k (basically all my annual credit card spend) on this card to get 3k PQP. MSers may disagree.

for what it’s worth, a very similar current thread from today in the UA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...f-changes.html
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
But it comes at a cost. You have to change $72k on this card to get 3000 PQP, and you can earn better rewards on other cards for pretty much any dollar you charge to the Select card. Back in my 1K days the $5k United spend to earn 5k EQM was no big deal and the 3X miles was very competitive. But now? I wouldn’t charge $72k (basically all my annual credit card spend) on this card to get 3k PQP. MSers may disagree.

for what it’s worth, a very similar current thread from today in the UA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...f-changes.html
Agreed, this is pathetic. If one is trapped in a UA hub, might be worth considering. Otherwise.....not so much.
Old Oct 25, 19, 2:02 pm

I'll probably drop the Club card due to the requirement to have a UAL boarding pass to get into the lounge. At this point less than half of my travel is on UAL, dictated primarily by route limitations. It's hard to justify the annual fee for how rarely I'll be able to use the lounge. But I will probably downgrade it to Explorer to at least retain Group 2 boarding. As meaningless as that is, it's still better than 3/4/5 (and over the past few years I've given up on contorting myself into loyalty to earn status, so I will probably be status-free across the board for the foreseeable future).
Old Nov 3, 19, 10:55 am

Whats the downgrade path at this point? Just private message Chase and ask to convert to UA Travelbank card?

I honestly can't remember - what's the rule with Chase on getting a sign-on bonus again (assuming under 5/24)? Is it 24 months for Chase?

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 19, 1:21 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
....what's the rule with Chase on getting a sign-on bonus again....
There is no global rule. I would read the terms of the offer for the card for which you intend to apply.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
There is no global rule. I would read the terms of the offer for the card for which you intend to apply.
Got it - thanks - also odd but Chase is no longer allowing you to downgrade via Secure Message (I'm sure this is already known but I haven't been in the Chase game for over a year now)
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: United
I have a situation with United Chase card: I have cancelled it for the same reasons that we discuss above, but now I am panicking: I have already qualified for United PQD waiver on it, and now am I going to loose this waiver because the card is cancelled? I already tried to reinstate the card but Chase didn't do it. Does anybody know about loosing or not loosing the PQD waiver in this situation? What can I do now NOT to loose it? To apply for the card again?
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by MarinaT View Post
Does anybody know about loosing or not loosing the PQD waiver in this situation? What can I do now NOT to loose it? To apply for the card again?
The terms outlined here, while dated 2018, should be a good starting point to figuring out what you can do: [ google 'Premier qualifying dollar FAQs' -- I can't post links ] Section 4 of the terms seems most relevant.

There is no specific language there regarding the net spending having occurred on an account that remains open; BUT, you should absolutely consult with Chase and MileagePlus account service at United. Especially since they don't seem to have published rules for the waiver that apply to 2019.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: