Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.

PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2020-a.html

This thread is the 2019 version of our https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1710270-chase-retention-bonus-offers-june-2015-present-all-cards.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by RedSun
Just wonder why you are surprised for no retention offers. Bank profits have not been great and both AmEx and Chase look to cut costs. I expect banks will pull back more on retention. It is a loser's game.
I would think it would depend on if retention offers lead to profitable card usage or not, and that would argue for better analytics to segregate customers.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:31 am

First time poster - wanted to give the community a data point on my recent experience.

Marriott Rewards Chase Visa Signature

- Called Chase (1-800-338-5960) on 8/12/2019 at 8:00AM PST. Inquired if there were any current AF promotions. Customer Service agent said she could provide me a $50 statement credit
- Inquired if I could upgrade to the Boundless card and carry the $50 statement credit with me - YES
- Was told pro-rated AF ($85) from the Marriott Rewards card would be refunded on next statement, NEW AF ($95) will be charged, $50 statement credit will be applied within the next couple of billing cycles
- Confirmed will receive current promotion of 2 night free certificate up to Cat 5 hotel if purchase made on new card by 9/30
- The month your annual free night will be earned will stay the same as your current Marriott Reward card cycle - only thing that changes is the month in which you incur the AF
- Customer Service agent made it a point to say that you will lose the Trip Cancelation Insurance and 1 Elite Night per $3,000 spend in switching to the new Boundless card - noted that $35,000 spend gets you Marriott Gold level status.

Hope this helps those out there looking to get some AF consideration!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Talking

Originally Posted by Crippen
First time poster - wanted to give the community a data point on my resent experience.
Yes I am sure you "resent" your "recent" experience welcome to FT!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Marriott Bonvoy called and was offered $50 retention. We cancelled the card.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Southwest Business Premier Card, second anniversary, no spend, did NOT have a retention offer last year. Called after fee posted, no offer. Canceled.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:36 pm

Southwest Personal Plus Card, second anniversary, minimal spend, DID have the $70 retention offer last year. Called after fee posted, no offer. Canceled.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Chase Sapphire Reserve, first anniversary, minimal spend. Called after fee posted, no offer. Product changed to Freedom.
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:10 pm

Marriott Premier Business Card

First anniversary, minimal spend, no offer. I think I'm going to keep it one more year for the free night.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
British Airways
Offered $50 statement credit. 1 year anniversary, $10k 1-year spend. Closed account.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by anjeo
For the 5th year in a row I called about the annual fee on my Ritz Carlton Visa & got some consideration, this year $150 rebate with no prerequisites - Annual fee still $395 so net $245 is very reasonable considering the features and benefits this card offers.
Do you get a credit yearly?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
09/06/19, Chase Sapphire Reserve, No Offers
avuman likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by googs185
Do you get a credit yearly?
Yes every year I call and 5 in a row they said yes with varying amount of statement credits.
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crippen
- Customer Service agent made it a point to say that you will lose the Trip Cancelation Insurance and 1 Elite Night per $3,000 spend in switching to the new Boundless card - noted that $35,000 spend gets you Marriott Gold level status.
But that agent should also have told you that Marriott Gold (in the new Bonvoy status names) is a close to useless status for most people. You'd need $105,000 spend (plus the 15 annual elite nights you get from holding any Marriott Bonvoy credit card) to get to the meaningful Marriott Platinum status without any stays or meetings.
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:31 pm
Vay

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat.
Sapphire Preferred

First year anniversary and spent almost 20k on the card. I was not offered anything when I asked to cancel my card. No retention or statement credit. Product changed to Freedom Unlimited.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus BUSINESS Card - $99 AF

AF posts 10/1/2019, called 09/11/2019 and was offered a $90 statement credit to keep the card [no spend req’d] - accepted, kept card.

Yearly account spend varies anywhere from $30k-$60K

Received the same offer of $90 statement credit last year as well. Account open since 9/2017.
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.