Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Chase seems to be a little itchy to shut down deposit accounts - they may give them more scrutiny than credit card accounts. When a customer gets a deposit account shutdown, the customer's credit cards often go with it.

Overall, Chase has many unique credit cards, but, as far as I know, no unique deposit accounts. So, to play it safe, I avoid them for that which I can get elsewhere (checking account) and I use them for that which I can only get with them (Hyatt credit card).
As long as you dont do anything remotely look like ML, like frequent ACH in and out, depositing cash etc, even they are all legit, these activities would be flagged and the bank does not want to take compliance risk or burden - so off you are unloaded.

Otherwise having Chase bank products are nothing to be worried about. We each have both personal and checking - opened when there were sign up bonus on Continental miles and the debit cards that earned CO miles (that gives you an idea on how long ago). At that time the banking terms on those accounts were very favorable, i.e. they are linked and only need 5 debit card transaction in the business account to avoid monthly fee on BOTH personal and business account, without the need to maintain minimum balances.
Of course the account types were long been discontinued ever since Dodd Frank. But the existing accounts are grandfathered, continue to enjoy the benefits,

Originally Posted by joe_miami
In your Chase.com account, click on the menu and there should be an "Offers" link. (I've been a Chase customer for years and have never seen a "Just for You" CC offer. They're always for bank accounts or car loans.)
Same here. Lately there is also mortgage offer. Never see any just for you card offers that by pass 5/24 since this is first reported at least 3 or 4 years ago. (One of the ways people were able to get their CSRs which was introduced in Aug 2016).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuBu4
curious, anyone get shut down for adding an AU and transferring to AU's transfer account(like UA)?
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Doing so could certainly draw attention to your account as that is the exact process of selling UR points.
The question is so obvious... lol.

And we have had DPs in this thread last year that - one of the reasons being fished out was, having added / removed AUs more frequent than usual.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:21 am
RNE

Originally Posted by BuBu4
curious, anyone get shut down for adding an AU and transferring to AU's transfer account(like UA)?
I have added an AU and I have transferred to her account, but the two events were years apart so I don't think that's what you're getting at.

While I'm viewed as a shutdown alarmist, I nevertheless counsel that shutdowns are both infrequent and difficult to accidentally trigger. That said, one person's "infrequent" may be another's "too frequent." YMMV. My skittishness comes from having an enormous stake in URs and a long range plan for their use.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Chase last week closed my checking and savings accounts that I had opened in June for the $600 checking/savings bonus. I wasn't doing any MS, MO, or any cash deposits...just direct deposit from my employer and less than $5,000 in ACH transfers since June other than the initial $15k transfer into the savings account. Although they won't tell me anything, my guess is that I linked too many external bank accounts and they locked it down when I tried to transfer $200 to Chase from Varo. As of now I still have two credit cards with them. When I initially spoke with them last week, they said they would restore my online access once the accounts were closed.

Now that the accounts are closed, I call back and I'm first told I will never have my online access restored and that I must call Chase to make a payment, verify a transaction, etc. I then speak with a supervisor who restores my online access. After logging in the first time, the account is locked again. I call back and the agent gets leadership approval to restore my access and makes a note of it in my account. I log in again, account is locked again. I call back a third time and I'm told the previous agents and managers were wrong and I will never be able to access my Chase account online.

Has anyone experienced this? I've read mixed reports of people having their credit card accounts closed within a few weeks of the bank account closing. In those cases, those people were given 30 days to use their UR points, which I assume means they had online access in order to use them. The last post in the Chase Shutdown Thread is 8 months ago so was wondering if there were any more recent data points.

Is it worth contacting Chase EO or filing a CFPB complaint or should I wait until Chase closes the credit card accounts? Even if Chase didn't close the accounts, it doesn't seem realistic to maintain the accounts without online access.
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? No.
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone? No.
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 100%. I only use my CSR. I have a Freedom card but never use it.
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? No.
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? No. I'm only using about 8% of my credit line.
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? Yes.
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) No, I haven't applied for any credit cards in the last 2 years.
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? Never deposited any money orders.
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? No.
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? No.
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? None.
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? None.
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? No.
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? No.

Last edited by bwiflyer01; Aug 13, 2019 at 10:17 pm Reason: Answer questions from wiki
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:25 pm
iTY

Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
Chase last week closed my checking and savings accounts that I had opened in June for the $600 checking/savings bonus. I wasn't doing any MS, MO, or any cash deposits...just direct deposit from my employer and less than $5,000 in ACH transfers since June other than the initial $15k transfer into the savings account. Although they won't tell me anything, my guess is that I linked too many external bank accounts and they locked it down when I tried to transfer $200 to Chase from Varo. As of now I still have two credit cards with them. When I initially spoke with them last week, they said they would restore my online access once the accounts were closed.

<snip>
Hi, was your account opened online? if so, try to check whether providing a proof of home address to branch works. I have the similar issue (ACH pull 15k new to bank fund, but without online banking issue), and the account was closed by the Bank. After discussion and with the home address proof, the Bank reopened the account. Hope it helps.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Aug 15, 2019 at 6:59 am Reason: Pared down quoted post
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:59 am

I did open the account online almost 3 months ago and I've visited a branch to withdraw the money in the account when I was notified it was being closed. The branch manager had no idea why it was being closed and agreed it didn't make any sense. He had to call to get permission to release the number and as part of the process had to verify my ID with my address. I am thinking of calling EO.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I did open the account online almost 3 months ago and I've visited a branch to withdraw the money in the account when I was notified it was being closed. The branch manager had no idea why it was being closed and agreed it didn't make any sense. He had to call to get permission to release the number and as part of the process had to verify my ID with my address. I am thinking of calling EO.
Please let us know what happens.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Please let us know what happens.
I called EO and was contacted a few days later by an analyst who then transferred me to the same Chase loss prevention group I had spoke with several times before. The representative EO connected me with was unhelpful and I asked to speak with a supervisor, which is when I finally caught a break. The supervisor was patient and helpful. He contacted the department that suspended my online access and got them to remove the restriction. I was a little skeptical at first because my account had been unlocked twice before only to be immediately relocked, but his efforts worked and I have been able to access my online account ever since.

Since my annual fee will be charged next month, I contacted EO again and requested that if Chase were ultimately going to shut down my credit card accounts, I'd rather they do so now. I know the conventional wisdom is to lay low, but I'd rather just get it over with. The representative couldn't (or wouldn't) say whether the accounts would be closed in the future and could only confirm that the credit card accounts were open and in good standing.

My expectation is that I'll probably get the letter in a few weeks that they are closing the credit cards because their affiliate ended their relationship with me. In the meantime, I opened an Apple Card and I'm drawing down my UR balance so everything is ready for when they do close it.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note:

The old thread has been archived and this new one is now open for posting.

Reference the archived version here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:11 am

I just got a mailed offer for 100,000 miles with a UA BUSINESS card. I know my personal non-Chase cards over the past few years are near or maybe over 5/24. I don't run my own full-time business, but I do freelance work here and there. So I was thinking of applying for this new offer.
But...I am an authorized user on my wife's Sapphire reserve card and we do banking with Chase. I don't want to risk getting either of those closed.

Should I even bother taking this risk? I don't mind if I get rejected for the card, but I don't want to raise flags on my wife's account.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I just got a mailed offer for 100,000 miles with a UA BUSINESS card. I know my personal non-Chase cards over the past few years are near or maybe over 5/24. I don't run my own full-time business, but I do freelance work here and there. So I was thinking of applying for this new offer.
But...I am an authorized user on my wife's Sapphire reserve card and we do banking with Chase. I don't want to risk getting either of those closed.

Should I even bother taking this risk? I don't mind if I get rejected for the card, but I don't want to raise flags on my wife's account.
5/24 is for all credit cards, not just Chase. If you’re at or over 5/24, you’ll be rejected for the United biz card, regardless of the mailer.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:40 pm

My CIU was closed last week without any notice. I have CIP opened in 12/2018 and CIU in 6/2019. No other cards opened.
I also opened checking/saving in 9/2018 then moved the money to other banks in 4/2019.
My mistake was probably letting the balance on the CIU be too high. After paying it off, I applied for the Ink Cash together with asking to lower the limit on the CIU.
Three days later I called to check the status and got the 30-day message. After that the CIU was closed.

Are they gonna close my other card and bank accounts too? Can I ask them to reopen the card? Which number should I call? Thank you!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by fanatic
My CIU was closed last week without any notice. I have CIP opened in 12/2018 and CIU in 6/2019. No other cards opened.
I also opened checking/saving in 9/2018 then moved the money to other banks in 4/2019.
My mistake was probably letting the balance on the CIU be too high. After paying it off, I applied for the Ink Cash together with asking to lower the limit on the CIU.
Three days later I called to check the status and got the 30-day message. After that the CIU was closed.

Are they gonna close my other card and bank accounts too? Can I ask them to reopen the card? Which number should I call? Thank you!
Chase sees you open the cards solely for the sign-up bonus. No intention to have organic business with them. Your bank accounts should be good.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Chase sees you open the cards solely for the sign-up bonus. No intention to have organic business with them. Your bank accounts should be good.
That would be a strong move on Chase's part? To shutdown someone for opening a couple business cards ? or are you stating the switcharoo with the business checking account is what did him in?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Thank you! What can I do with all the points earn? Can I still keep them? I assume that I will no longer be able to get either a Chase personal or biz card, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.