Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Schnit
Did you do what they are accusing you of?
To a certain extent...
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
To a certain extent...
I'd be shocked if they reverse their decision then
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Its likely youd get more helpful responses if you provided more details about what you did. Also would be more helpful for the community interested in learning from your experience
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Recently got shutdown by Chase for:
RAPID INCREASE IN REVOLVING BALANCES
TOO MANY REQUESTS OF CREDIT OR REVIEWS OF CREDIT
ACCOUNT NOT USED AS INTENDED
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Its likely youd get more helpful responses if you provided more details about what you did. Also would be more helpful for the community interested in learning from your experience
Indeed. To that end, lowkeyflyer, please answer the questions you will find in the wiki for this thread. Thanks.
Xyzzy and hurnik like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:54 pm

Not necessarily shutdown but relevant I think; how long does the fraud algo for purchases when getting a new card decline larger purchases last? Have had some legit large purchases get declined on a personal card, weird because large purchases on Ink always go through no problem soon after sign up. Called in to get them to override it, but it's a pain to do this while in the store, did it once, thought that would clear up any issues. Been a Chase customer forever, with no late payments. It's odd because I've gone through the verification several times and told them the merchant and location and they say they have no further info other than something is triggering potential fraud, however, charges keep declining, charges in the $1,200-$1,500 range. In speaking with Chase, it's almost as if they think someone else has my card (which is fine/good looking out) but I don't know why they can't manually lift the algo once I confirm it's me. They used to send text messages if they suspected fraud to the phone line associated with the account, which was a quick way to resolve, but that's not happening on the account now, even though I clearly have alerts set up and capable.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Not necessarily shutdown but relevant I think..., however, charges keep declining...
In some cases it's not the issuer taking any action. It's the merchant. For instance, I was at a merchant with another FlyerTalk member about 7 years ago, and we were buying some big ticket items for an uncharacteristically large transaction amount for that merchant. Both of our cards declined, and the cashier received a phone call from corporate security while we were still at the register. We actually spoke to the corporate security person who had said that we hit a tripwire due to the size of our transactions. We independently called our issuers - we were using cards from two different banks - and neither of us had a potential fraud alert or any block that the issuers had imposed.
SPN Lifer and mia like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:54 am
RNE

In speaking with Chase, it's almost as if they think someone else has my card (which is fine/good looking out) but I don't know why they can't manually lift the algo once I confirm it's me.
No person who you can talk to at Chase will have any knowledge of what all triggers alerts. That's a closely guarded secret. And rightly so. Yeah, they may offer some possible explanations, but that's all guesswork.

RNE, saying that my guesswork is the algorithm is extra sensitive to you because you've had previous alerts (regardless of their being unfounded). Good luck.
SPN Lifer and mia like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Not necessarily shutdown but relevant I think; how long does the fraud algo for purchases when getting a new card decline larger purchases last? Have had some legit large purchases get declined on a personal card, weird because large purchases on Ink always go through no problem soon after sign up. Called in to get them to override it, but it's a pain to do this while in the store, did it once, thought that would clear up any issues. Been a Chase customer forever, with no late payments. It's odd because I've gone through the verification several times and told them the merchant and location and they say they have no further info other than something is triggering potential fraud, however, charges keep declining, charges in the $1,200-$1,500 range. In speaking with Chase, it's almost as if they think someone else has my card (which is fine/good looking out) but I don't know why they can't manually lift the algo once I confirm it's me. They used to send text messages if they suspected fraud to the phone line associated with the account, which was a quick way to resolve, but that's not happening on the account now, even though I clearly have alerts set up and capable.
I don't know that this clarifies anything, but as a data point: I just got a new Freedom Flex card and immediately used it for a $5,000 charitable contribution. I had no problems with that transaction or with any others since.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:40 pm

how do you off a balance after being shutdown?

i literally just started my chase relationship less than two months ago and hit the sapphire bonus and got approved for a chase ink then shut down.

can they still transfer UR out with noting linked to the account?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atojbk
how do you off a balance after being shutdown?

i literally just started my chase relationship less than two months ago and hit the sapphire bonus and got approved for a chase ink then shut down.

can they still transfer UR out with noting linked to the account?
You should still be able to login and pay and transfer points.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:25 pm

my login doesnt exist anymore

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Can you still redeem the points for travel or gift cards?

Too many SUBs from Chase, or did they look at her overall card signup activity and get worried?
Originally Posted by josephstern
You should still be able to login and pay and transfer points.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:15 pm

my login doesnt exist anymore
Might help if you can answer the questions from the Wiki for this thread.
2 months seems awful quick for a complete shutdown.
Xyzzy, RNE and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:21 pm

all nos on the wiki maybe 4-5 pulls within the last year.

im assuming its fraud identity but they never asked me to go in branch to verify myself. honestly ive spent so many hours dealing with this. id really like to pay my balance and transfer my UR out and go elsewhere. just not worth the time.

Originally Posted by hurnik
Might help if you can answer the questions from the Wiki for this thread.
2 months seems awful quick for a complete shutdown.
RNE likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:00 am

all nos on the wiki maybe 4-5 pulls within the last year.

im assuming its fraud identity but they never asked me to go in branch to verify myself. honestly ive spent so many hours dealing with this. id really like to pay my balance and transfer my UR out and go elsewhere. just not worth the time.
It is (IMO) very odd for Chase to shut you down completely after the fact for identity failure. I'd try to go in branch and see what they can tell you.
I'm not sure if that NY law went into effect yet about being able to get your points/etc within 60 days or whatever it is/was.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:21 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....like to pay my balance and transfer my UR out and go elsewhere.....
If you call the number of the back of your card is the call redirected to the Fraud Department? If you tell them you are calling to pay your bill, what do they say?
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.