Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:06 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by pallhedge
No, it doesn't.
Chase business cards don't count against 5/24? is it because they don't go against personal credit report?

5/24 does apply to Chase business cards correct?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Chase business cards don't count against 5/24? is it because they don't go against personal credit report?

5/24 does apply to Chase business cards correct?
Yes to all 3 of your questions.
bigshooter likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:35 am
RNE

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Chase doesn't (currently) report business cards. Let's hope it stays that way.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Has anyone had luck getting approved for another Chase CC after being previously shut down?
Did you get an approval? Chase kicked me to the curb in Feb 2016 and I haven't attempted to reapply with them but I have some home improvement projects coming up and was considering applying just to see if they'd welcome me back with open arms. But I don't want to waste a HP if its unlikely. (I was depositing $3-5k/mo in MO's and got hit with the "unsatisfactory relationship" bit).
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skitch23
Did you get an approval? Chase kicked me to the curb in Feb 2016 and I haven't attempted to reapply with them but I have some home improvement projects coming up and was considering applying just to see if they'd welcome me back with open arms. But I don't want to waste a HP if its unlikely. (I was depositing $3-5k/mo in MO's and got hit with the "unsatisfactory relationship" bit).
I had an "unsatisfactory banking relationship" message come up from prob 10 years ago when I applied 2 years ago, and they denied me. Then opened a checking account and applied again for the IHG about 6 months later and got an instant approval (same credit score).

Applied for the United card last Dec and got denied for too many accounts recently opened. Applied for the SW card in March and got approved on a recon call.

So there's hope!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RNE
Chase doesn't (currently) report business cards. Let's hope it stays that way.
So to confirm, a new chase business card doesn't count against their OWN 5/24 rule?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
So to confirm, a new chase business card doesn't count against their OWN 5/24 rule?
Correct
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
I am currently at just 2 cards in the last 24 months, but am looking to jump all at once to open a bunch of cards and worried about a chase shut down. I have just the Chase Sapphire Preferred that I was approved for yesterday and want to apply for United Quest and/or Ink Business Plus. Will 3 cards all close together possibly trigger shut down even if it's technically allowed within the 2/30 rule due to one being a business card? I heard some suggest even applying for a single additional card within 30 days can be risky.

Secondly, I plan to apply for a bunch of other cards shortly after (6-8 more, for which I figure I'll get approved for 3 or so). Would these additional lines after the Chase cards are opened be noticed by Chase and possibly flagged for too much credit being opened recently?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Khabibul35
I am currently at just 2 cards in the last 24 months, but am looking to jump all at once to open a bunch of cards and worried about a chase shut down. I have just the Chase Sapphire Preferred that I was approved for yesterday and want to apply for United Quest and/or Ink Business Plus. Will 3 cards all close together possibly trigger shut down even if it's technically allowed within the 2/30 rule due to one being a business card? I heard some suggest even applying for a single additional card within 30 days can be risky.

Secondly, I plan to apply for a bunch of other cards shortly after (6-8 more, for which I figure I'll get approved for 3 or so). Would these additional lines after the Chase cards are opened be noticed by Chase and possibly flagged for too much credit being opened recently?

Thanks in advance!
Chase has a soft rule for biz cards in that you can't have applied for any other Chase cards in the last 30 days, so the Ink would have to wait.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Chase has a soft rule for biz cards in that you can't have applied for any other Chase cards in the last 30 days, so the Ink would have to wait.
Thanks. Would the United card work? I'm afraid that they'd see 2 card and then a bunch of others shortly after as a liability in terms of too much new credit opened and shut me down.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:44 am

Thanks. Would the United card work? I'm afraid that they'd see 2 card and then a bunch of others shortly after as a liability in terms of too much new credit opened and shut me down.
They won't have any visibility on the cards that come after.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:18 am
RNE

Alarm bells won't go off in Jamie Dimon's office, but if something you do puts eyes on your account, then, yes, Chase could notice that "bunch of other cards," prompting the Bank to take action.

RNE, mentioning hypothetically that establishing seemingly good credit and then rapidly opening card accounts is archetypical of bust-out fraud.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:10 am

Chase closed all of my accounts- help

Chase apparently closed 5 of my accounts. I have a 820 credit score, high income, and make payments all on time. I did not abuse any rewards. The rep said that it was a "business decision" and would not elaborate. She said there are no appeals. This is complete nonsense and infuriating. Does anyone know a contact phone number or mailing address to someone higher up who can help? I am really pissed about this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: Free agent
Again?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There really is nothing else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.