Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY to Tokyo or Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Angry NY to Tokyo or Shanghai

I'm trying to book travel from NY to Tokyo or Shanghai using my chase ultimate points. I have 550K points with chase and i'm trying to make the best use out of them for this trip. Looking for business or first class tickets for 3. I've looked up flights on ANA and everything is waitlisted on the time period i'm looking to fly 10/8 to 10/25. Looking through the forum it says waitlist being released on ANA is very random and i prefer not to take the risk. UA has some okay flight for 175k with 1 layover. Any other recommendations?

Mods please move this if this is the wrong place. I tried reading through the wiki and the new user post and i still don't know if i'm doing this right
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I've moved this to our Chase Forum, where you'll get the best information.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

for each person, buy three seats on Hainan for $400 each = $1200 = 80k points each

economy lie-flat. buy 5/7 seats to share between the 3 of you if you want to save $

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 3, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thats a good one. I never factored in purchasing multiple economy seats. Thanks for the idea!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by itswillder
Thats a good one. I never factored in purchasing multiple economy seats. Thanks for the idea!
make sure you check how/whether carrier supports it

eg, united/AA, supposed to put EXTRASEAT somewhere on the name
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

otherwise

1) carrier may think they're dup tickets and cancel them
2) during boarding, carrier will no-show the ticket and put someone else on it (if flight is overbooked)

most (united/AA) wont give you extra miles on extra seat
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Rugby World Cup is in Japan from late September to early November. I suspect that this is impacting availability on ANA in October.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:58 am

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
For 3 people First/Business less 3 month out for specific dates ..... good luck with that. EWR-Narita 175k on 10/8 non stop for 175k .... but that is for one person each way = 350k round trip so you need saver space.
The "cheap" option would be to transfer to Virgin Atlantic and use them for ANA First class (120k round trip) but as you know you are very probably too late to get seats.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Colin
$1800 per person is cheap .... with the CSR you get 0.015 per point making this a UR120k "purchase"pP
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

@Colin
This looks like a good one! That 14 hour layover in CKG is a little rough but maybe i'll convince the wife to do a little sightseeing there.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by blitzen
For 3 people First/Business less 3 month out for specific dates ..... good luck with that. EWR-Narita 175k on 10/8 non stop for 175k .... but that is for one person each way = 350k round trip so you need saver space.
The "cheap" option would be to transfer to Virgin Atlantic and use them for ANA First class (120k round trip) but as you know you are very probably too late to get seats.
Yea it's probably too late. I'm trying to look for other options. I figured it might be cheaper to spend a little time in shanghai then fly to japan since its 2-3 hour flight. Trying to explore what other options i have without breaking the bank. I haven't been on a vacation in 5+ years so i don't mind spending a little bit extra for comfort. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.