FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Bonus missed by ....that much... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1975020-bonus-missed-much.html)

iowa guy Jun 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Bonus missed by ....that much...

I blew in on getting the 75k bonus on a Chase United Explorer Mileage Plus Business card. I spent $4883 instead of the required $5000. Oh the humanity. Since I didn't get the bonus, how long do I have to wait to apply again to 'try' to earn the bonus?

Diplomatico Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 31226273)
I blew in on getting the 75k bonus on a Chase United Explorer Mileage Plus Business card. I spent $4883 instead of the required $5000. Oh the humanity. Since I didn't get the bonus, how long do I have to wait to apply again to 'try' to earn the bonus?

Have you confirmed that the date to make the minimum spend has definitely passed? Chase typically gives 115 days to meet the minimum spend rather than the 90 days that is advertises upon application.

iowa guy Jun 21, 2019 6:45 pm

I sent a secure message to Chase to ask them if I did the spend in the allotted time and they told me no.

How do I determine if I should have the 115 days? I know I wasn't approved for the card that many days ago.

Diplomatico Jun 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 31227295)
I sent a secure message to Chase to ask them if I did the spend in the allotted time and they told me no.

How do I determine if I should have the 115 days? I know I wasn't approved for the card that many days ago.

Spend $117 more on the card and see if the bonus posts after the next statement.

From another forum, posted yesterday:

"New datapoint on the Chase 90 days vs 115 days for meeting MSR: In short, I hit spend on day 108. Statement posted today and showed I will be getting the full bonus.

However, I don't think this completely puts an end to the new concern that Chase has shifted to a 90 day limit. I'll post the full details on why when I get a moment to write up more."

majorkirkus Jun 21, 2019 8:28 pm

You can also secure message Chase to find out when the "3 months" is over.

iowa guy Jun 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by majorkirkus (Post 31227485)
You can also secure message Chase to find out when the "3 months" is over.

I did and they said that my promo period ended June 20, 2018.
Also, I reread the the secure message and I'm short by only $17.
Is there a sympathy department at Chase that might let this slide? (insert big laugh smiley here).

krazykanuck Jun 21, 2019 10:59 pm

You have a couple options. You can just pay off and cancel the card now, and reapply whenever you want since the rule is 24 months between bonuses. You never got the bonus, therefore, you don't have to wait. [insert unproven thoughts about how this will piss off Chase here] Or for the people who think Chase will hate you forever for not keeping a card for the first year, keep it for a year, then cancel and reapply. Up to you.

But dude keep better records and keep on top of this!

bigbuy Jun 22, 2019 3:19 am

This happened to me a few years ago with a Citi AA Card with 100k bonus. I was successful doing the following.
Found another card with a 60k bonus with lower spend threshold.
Made 3 calls, and the last one had a sympathetic ear and awarded me the 60k.

Daveholman Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 31227623)
I did and they said that my promo period ended June 20, 2018.
Also, I reread the the secure message and I'm short by only $17.
Is there a sympathy department at Chase that might let this slide? (insert big laugh smiley here).

🤣🤣🤣I've been a Chase customer for 20 years, with 5 checking accounts and 2 credit cards. Short answer: NO 😂😂😂

FTA Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Definitely try calling in

joachimm Jun 22, 2019 5:53 pm

I missed the IHG Premier 90 bonus by a couple days and the first CSR I got said there was no wiggle room, so I threatened to cancel and he was indifferent. I hung up, called again, and the second CSR I got explained the 115 day rule and was apologetic for the bad info I'd gotten on the last call. I'd add the spend, and call in to see if you can get someone with some experience.

There are reports (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...s-requirement/) that the 115 day rule no longer applies, but still other reports that these are just CSRs that don't know any better. It's not up to a CSR anyways...

StartinSanDiego Jun 25, 2019 9:05 am

Make the spend immediately and then see what happens. If the points don't post, call and beg.

iowa guy Jul 3, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 31227685)
You have a couple options. You can just pay off and cancel the card now, and reapply whenever you want since the rule is 24 months between bonuses. You never got the bonus, therefore, you don't have to wait. [insert unproven thoughts about how this will piss off Chase here] Or for the people who think Chase will hate you forever for not keeping a card for the first year, keep it for a year, then cancel and reapply. Up to you.

But dude keep better records and keep on top of this!

I no uncertain terms I was told by CSR that they can't award the points to me even if they wanted to. What it boils down to is that I'm an idiot.

So..................

I will take the advice of krazykanuck and apply right away. Is there a rule that I have to cancel this card before I apply for another (same card) since I didn't get the bonus?

philemer Jul 3, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 31266076)
I no uncertain terms I was told by CSR that they can't award the points to me even if they wanted to. What it boils down to is that I'm an idiot.

So..................

I will take the advice of krazykanuck and apply right away. Is there a rule that I have to cancel this card before I apply for another (same card) since I didn't get the bonus?

Your answer is in the fine print here: https://www.theexplorercard.com/40KA...ate=2019-01-09

iowa guy Aug 19, 2019 7:34 pm

I have been pretty sick with myself for missing the spend bonus by not spending an additional $17. I haven't even had the mettle to visit this site for about a month and a half because of my stupid mistake.

I see that I better pick myself back up and leave my pity party and try to get back in the bonus game.

I even more lost now than I usually am regarding which card(s) to apply for. I've read some card wikis on this site but can't seem to find a good card/bonus for which I should apply.

If you can name a great card (business or personal) that I should research, please post the card name and I'll do more reading about them. I'd prefer for the bonus to be $600 or greater.

I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and a handful of other cards that I should probably close...