I accidentally met the $3000 spend target

Old Jun 14, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I accidentally met the $3000 spend target

I opened a new Chase Business Southwest card recently. In the first statement cycle I was awarded the 60k points bonus because I met the $3000 spending requirement-- on a technicality. I purchased a bunch of expensive airfares then cancelled some of them. The summary on my statement looks like this:
Code:
Purchases          +$3,800
Payments, Credits  -$1,800
Fees Charged          +$99
New Balance         $2,099
In the next few days I'm going to need to cancel even more of the airfares I purchased during this cycle. By the time the dust clears I'll have netted only about $1200 charges on this card. While these are all legitimate purchases and returns I am concerned this activity profile will look to Chase like I am gaming the system. What's the chance they'd claw back the points or black-list me from opening subsequent accounts? I'm think I'll keep using the card to ensure I net at least $3,000 spend in the 90 day window, just so that if Chase raises a concern here I can defend that I earned the bonus without gaming the system.
Old Jun 15, 19, 12:18 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
In the next few days I'm going to need to cancel even more of the airfares I purchased during this cycle..
Why not just convert the returned tickets into TTFs instead? No more refunds to Chase and you will have a year from purchase to use it up.
Old Jun 15, 19, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Why not just convert the returned tickets into TTFs instead? No more refunds to Chase and you will have a year from purchase to use it up.
The OP doesnít state that these are WN fares, although thatís most likely. They could be 24 hour refunds.
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
I'm think I'll keep using the card to ensure I net at least $3,000 spend in the 90 day window, just so that if Chase raises a concern here I can defend that I earned the bonus without gaming the system.
Yeah I think that's prudent. I'll try to find the link later but last fall somebody on Reddit compiled a list of data points of people screwing up the bonus timing of getting the Companion Pass and I think 1 reason was fraudulent charges pushed them over the spend requirement and Chase awarded the points anyway because as you note they go on gross spend.
Old Jun 15, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
That's a good suggestion. And yes, the purchases refunded are AT/BS fares on Southwest. The only drawback is that with the flights I've got booked right now, including a few using points/vouchers, I don't anticipate spending TTFs for at least 5 months. With nearly $1200 of flights I still need to cancel I'm not sure I want to float that much in TTFs versus having cash in hand.
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Just spend a net of $3,000 or more within the 90 days and you'll be fine.