FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1961411-freedom-visa-chase-pay-acceptance-smiths-kroger.html)

rasheed Apr 9, 2019 1:17 pm

Apparently Kroger Pay support was also added when Chase Pay was added at Fry's. So, you can use the QR from either app. If Kroger Pay is enabled at the few AZ Smith's, you might be able to use Visa Credit even with the overall ban, but I imagine Smith's was not turned on for the QR payment method yet.

fliesdelta Apr 10, 2019 5:59 am

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 30979118)
No, Fry's is not part of the current Kroger/Visa Credit block.

Which stores are included in the Visa ban?

rasheed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 30984876)
Which stores are included in the Visa ban?

Currently, Foods Co (California) and Smith's (West-MidWest) under Kroger name. Visa credit only, Visa debit is still okay. A Kroger gift card bought at a non-ban chain can be used at a banned chain as a workaround.

Tanic Apr 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Re: Frys, this is on my Chase sign-in page (no mention of Smiths which is two counties away):

"Use Chase Pay® with your Chase Freedom® card in-store at Fry’s to earn up to 10% cash back from 4/7/19–5/7/19. Make sure to activate your Freedom® quarterly bonus categories to take full advantage of this offer. Earn 5% on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in this quarter’s bonus categories including Chase Pay at Fry’s. Earn an additional 5% on up to $400 maximum in purchases when you check out using Chase Pay from 4/7/19–5/7/19."

rasheed Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am

Great stuff. No one mentioned this previously so either they didn't notify people when the promo started or something. Kind of a short timeline to push through the $1500 spend. This does appear you can use the QR code or Samsung Pay with Chase Pay (traditional contactless MSD).

There is nothing stopping a Smith's person to go to Fry's on a road trip and load up on Kroger gift cards. I am okay with Kroger doing whatever it wants to do with Visa Credit, but I am also okay with consumers doing whatever is allowed to get around the issue.

Yes, we can all be confused on what is going on here with Kroger getting mad at Visa Credit on one hand, but expanding Chase Pay (which is all Visa except for the IHG card). I believe the Chase Pay to Kroger cost is lower than other Visa Credit to Kroger as mentioned earlier, but only time will tell.

Tanic Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 30999588)
"Use Chase Pay® with your Chase Freedom® card in-store at Fry’s to earn up to 10% cash back from 4/7/19–5/7/19.

Well, I tried. Chase Pay QR code scans at the registers, but errors out each time. Front End manager says it's a Chase problem. Called Chase, they have no record of charge attempts. It appears that Kroger has not trained employees or managers on how Chase Pay works. They kept trying to tap my phone like Apple Pay. :rolleyes:

rasheed May 7, 2019 6:42 pm

So, the Kroger Pay is working fine (even at Kroger chains that do not advertise the program). It is relatively new so the employees are not really familiar with it, but they have to use the handheld scanner or the customer facing scanner (make sure the green light is on before you try scanning).

The KP method is a combination of loyalty, app coupons and payment (one bar code for all). It is a really big QR code for some reason and you can scan it at any time. Basically at the end, when you get to total and the cashier closes the purchase, it will automatically process the payment if you already scanned by then.

On the receipt, it shows the payment method as scanned. On the terminal screen, it shows KP Visa (using Chase Freedom this quarter). I do not know if it would reject at Foods Co or Smiths nor do I know if it will reject Visa Debit. I encourage someone to try Visa credit via KP at one of the non-Visa credit allowed chains.

tmiw May 7, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 31077739)
I do not know if it would reject at Foods Co or Smiths nor do I know if it will reject Visa Debit. I encourage someone to try Visa credit via KP at one of the non-Visa credit allowed chains.

I wouldn't bet on that if it's getting run as card present.

On that note, apparently they're still allowing PIN bypass for Visa debit (source), so that might be how they're managing to make Kroger Pay work for those. I'm not anywhere near a non-Visa accepting Kroger chain to test, though.

rasheed May 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31077786)
I wouldn't bet on that if it's getting run as card present.

Well, as mentioned elsewhere, it ran as Groceries, but does appear to be a CNP transaction when comparing the transaction to other ones used before KP. This makes sense as unless the physical card was used or it was a Visa-approved payment standard, it is like paying for groceries online. So, now I have no idea what Kroger is doing for its overall card strategy except if it tries to get people to move to ACH like Target RedCard.

tmiw May 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 31090793)
This makes sense as unless the physical card was used or it was a Visa-approved payment standard, it is like paying for groceries online.

I'm pretty sure I remember Chase Pay inside the Walmart Pay app showing up as card present, so I'm not sure that's strictly true. That might be something specific to Chase, though.

Tanic May 12, 2019 12:58 pm

I finally got Chase Pay to work at Frys toward the end of the 10% bonus promo. Unfortunately it kept tripping the store's ID requirement which defeats the purpose of using Chase Pay by not having to have a physical wallet. While the transactions were approved by Chase/Visa, they were denied by Kroger. Guess that's one way of not having to pay out the bonus, but they were left with a cart full of groceries to restock.

rasheed May 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Kroger still has an ID requirement?

Please report the issue to both Chase and Kroger via messaging if you don't mind. I would specifically indicate to share the feedback with the Chase Pay/Kroger team at each company.

mia May 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31093776)
.... purpose of using Chase Pay by not having to have a physical wallet. ...

Where has Chase (or any other mobile wallet) claimed that their product eliminates the need to carry government issued identification?

tmiw May 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31094004)
Where has Chase (or any other mobile wallet) claimed that their product eliminates the need to carry government issued identification?

It's actually not required to carry ID in the US. Since most people drive anyway, though, one's driver's license needs to be carried around. Not to mention that having some for of ID makes certain things a whole lot easier (like flying through airports).

mia May 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31094159)

Understood, but Tanic's post asserts that the purpose of using Chase Pay by not having to have a physical wallet, and implies that was the reason s/he was unable to comply with the Identification request. I doubt that Chase or any phone payment provider has made this claim. My point is that choosing to pay with a phone has no bearing on the decision to carry government issued identification. We all do many things that are not "required" because they make life more pleasant.