Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
My point is that choosing to pay with a phone has no bearing on the decision to carry government issued identification.
If you live somewhere where you don't need to drive and can put a mass transit smartcard on your phone, I can see that playing into a decision to go without a wallet (especially if you can use NFC payment everywhere). But yeah, considering Chase Pay's low merchant acceptance when using a non-Samsung phone, I'm not sure most people can even come close to thinking that.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mia
Understood, but Tanic's post asserts that the purpose of using Chase Pay by not having to have a physical wallet, and implies that was the reason s/he was unable to comply with the Identification request. I doubt that Chase or any phone payment provider has made this claim.
The Chase Pay app displays "WALLET" at the top of the screen. The implication is that your wallet is in the phone. If I were using Apple Pay (Visa) instead of Chase Pay, Apple states:
You can quickly check out using the devices you carry every day. Paying is as simple as selecting Apple Pay at checkout and confirming your identity using Face ID® or Touch ID®
No mention of a driver license. FaceID/TouchID achieve the same confirmation in Chase Pay.

According to "Visa Rules" which I assume is contractual to Chase Freedom Visa in the Chase Pay app, the merchant cannot require customer identification in order to complete a transaction. Kroger takes their policy to another level by recording customer ID in their registers. Apparently Kroger is a large enough merchant that Chase or Visa does not enforce the merchant agreement.

In the end, the promo of 10% Cash Back at Frys was a bust; it doesn't seem that Chase coordinated this program with Kroger. Back to plastic.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tanic
According to "Visa Rules" which I assume is contractual to Chase Freedom Visa in the Chase Pay app, the merchant cannot require customer identification in order to complete a transaction. Kroger takes their policy to another level by recording customer ID in their registers. Apparently Kroger is a large enough merchant that Chase or Visa does not enforce the merchant agreement.
In my experience, customers for the most part want their IDs being checked, so they're not going to be particularly inclined to file complaints with the card networks in the first place. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I finally got Chase Pay to work at Frys toward the end of the 10% bonus promo. Unfortunately it kept tripping the store's ID requirement which defeats the purpose of using Chase Pay by not having to have a physical wallet. While the transactions were approved by Chase/Visa, they were denied by Kroger. Guess that's one way of not having to pay out the bonus, but they were left with a cart full of groceries to restock.
How exactly did this happen? Was it the cashier who asked you for ID, or the app? If the cashier did it, do you think the register prompted her to do so, or did she do it on her own initiative? I can imagine a cashier who is not familiar with Chase Pay being suspicious of it and deciding to check ID just to make sure. Back when Samsung Pay was new, I had a couple of cashiers either ask for ID or call a manager over because they weren't familiar with it and thought I was doing something shady.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by cbn42
How exactly did this happen? Was it the cashier who asked you for ID, or the app? If the cashier did it, do you think the register prompted her to do so, or did she do it on her own initiative?
It was a register prompt. Apparently Chase Pay transactions over a certain amount ($100?) triggered the prompt which precluded the cashier from completing the transaction (which was approved by Chase). There was a window in the cashier's screen to record driver license info. It could not be overridden by a manager.

Later, the same amount using the actual Chase Freedom Visa plastic card went through without any prompt, but earned only a 4% bonus.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
The Chase Pay app displays "WALLET" at the top of the screen. The implication is that your wallet is in the phone.
The implication is that the app has a wallet into which you put cards, just like a physical wallet. The app is on the phone.

And, irrelevant of any ID scheme that your phone may have, the merchant doesn't have to accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.