Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Examples of qualifying merchants in each category are here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom-credit-cards/merchants
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

2nd Quarter 2019
GROCERY STORES
HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Grocery is a recurring category. See discussion from 2018 Q2:

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:13 am

Still completing spending on another Chase card. But will be glad to buy some gift cards at least...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:12 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
2nd Quarter 2019
GROCERY STORES
HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES
Figures. I just purchased $5000 custom closet doors at Home Cheapo.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Grocery is a recurring category.
No Chase Pay this time though. I wonder if they're starting to back away from that overall.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Probably I'm overthinking this, but when I use the Visa supplier locator to check the Merchant Category Code of a Lowe's Home Improvement (that's what Google Maps calls it) store, I learn that its Industry/MCC is Lumber and Building Supplies - 5200. Further, the list of industries in the supplier locator does not include Home Improvement, and the list of Merchant Category Codes does not include Home Improvement. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Not really, but you should have no issue getting the credit from a major chain store like Lowe's, even if you need to have them manually adjust it in case it doesn't automatically trigger for some reason.

Grocery is reoccurring, but timely especially as Kroger tries to reduce Visa credit exposure (which is almost all of the Chase Freedom cards). I am still waiting to see if Kroger will expand its Chase Pay QR pilot for it to be a more interesting quarter.

The activation option will be here starting 3/15: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...cards/calendar
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sucks for me because I will easily max the Home Improvement on two Freedoms in a couple of weeks. Would have loved it not paired with groceries. At any rate, love not having to buy any gift cards.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Good, because I'm HUNGRY for gift cards. Honestly I'd have preferred drug stores again but that wouldn't happened back to back.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
No Chase Pay this time though. I wonder if they're starting to back away from that overall.
Maybe they wanted to promote their own app in the past, now there is almost no use for it with the current Samsung Pay integration.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

It shows Target and Walmart excluded from grocery. Strange that Chase does this as many Walmarts have a Chase bank inside. (my local WM included)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by serpens
Probably I'm overthinking this, but when I use the Visa supplier locator to check the Merchant Category Code of a Lowe's Home Improvement (that's what Google Maps calls it) store, I learn that its Industry/MCC is Lumber and Building Supplies - 5200. Further, the list of industries in the supplier locator does not include Home Improvement, and the list of Merchant Category Codes does not include Home Improvement. Am I doing something wrong?
When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.

RNE, a fount of knowledge.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:50 am

Home improvement category doesn't apply to home furnishing correct? It doesn't earn 5x back for furniture/electronic purchases?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tenesmus83
Home improvement category doesn't apply to home furnishing correct? It doesn't earn 5x back for furniture/electronic purchases?
The test is not what you buy, but where you buy it.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RNE
When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.
While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.