Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Examples of qualifying merchants in each category are here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom-credit-cards/merchants
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Jm192
Anyone else have trouble maxing it out?

Obviously you can go Gift card Crazy. I worry I will lose or misplace the gift cards. Even with 500$ purchases, you're potentially looking at up to 3 gift cards to keep up with until you spend it all. I always worry I'll lose them and then you're down hundreds of dollars to net your 75$ in UR points. How do people deal with/mitigate this?

If your grocery store also sells gas like Kroger does here in CO, buy a $30 grocery store gift card once a week when buying your food, then use the GC to fill your tank. Between groceries and gas you shouldn’t have trouble maxing the $1,500 this quarter.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No. I buy groceries.
LOL. I do, too.

But it's increasingly at warehouse stores and online, which don't count as "grocery stores."
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jm192
Anyone else have trouble maxing it out?

Obviously you can go Gift card Crazy. I worry I will lose or misplace the gift cards. Even with 500$ purchases, you're potentially looking at up to 3 gift cards to keep up with until you spend it all. I always worry I'll lose them and then you're down hundreds of dollars to net your 75$ in UR points. How do people deal with/mitigate this?
I've maxed one Freedom and working on a second. I buy groceries and gift cards (as needed) for places like gas stations and stores that don't fall into any category spend and for items that I know I will not need to return. On the gift card end you could probably benefit from gift cards that you can load into your account and not have to worry about carrying them around and losing them. You can do this with Amazon, Target (pay in store with your phone), and even eBay (after you make one purchase with the gift card it's in your account and available for future purchases). I have the Amazon Prime card, but that's a cash back card and I prefer and get more value out of UR points so I will probably buy a healthy amount of those and just load them to my account for future use. If the end of the quarter approaches and I haven't maxed out I usually just buy a gift card for the grocery store for future use. Those tend to work great as I can use them to buy third-party gift cards in the future (at least the Safeway ones let me do it).
Old May 24, 2019, 1:54 am

Sorry if I ask a question with an obvious answer, I'm new to all this and couldn't find anything so far:
is it possible to double dip on the bonus categories by going through Chase's shipping portal?
thank you for being patient with a beginner
Old May 24, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Originally Posted by metalhead4664
Sorry if I ask a question with an obvious answer, I'm new to all this and couldn't find anything so far:
is it possible to double dip on the bonus categories by going through Chase's shipping portal?
thank you for being patient with a beginner
Yes it is possible. I did a significant amount of spend this quarter using Build.com using the Chase shopping portal. All points posted.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Grapenut
Yes it is possible. I did a significant amount of spend this quarter using Build.com using the Chase shopping portal. All points posted.
thank you for the clarification!
Old May 27, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Any indications on the Q3 categories?

I have a big purchase at Costco so if they were going to have warehouse stores in Q3 ...
Old May 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

I have a big purchase at Costco so if they were going to have warehouse stores in Q3 ...
At a minimum, get the Costco Executive Membership to maximize money back.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
Patience grasshopper. Just like every other quarter for the past few years we'll know on or about June 15
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:11 am

Do the Q2 categories for Lowe's include lowes.com ?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:54 pm

Thanks for also including the list, mia! The link, which I’ve seen many others post elsewhere, goes to the current category and shows only WM and PP right now. I made a $1500+ purchase at Build.com and the merchant category listed on my statement is Antique Shops, so it’s good to know that Chase itself has included the company in the Home Improvement category in the past, in case I don’t automatically get the bonus points from their newly (un)announced promo. Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.