Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie - Book with UR or Transfer Points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Newbie - Book with UR or Transfer Points?

We are very new to the miles/points world (other than Southwest - Rapid Rewards Visa Card). We are looking to fly from US to Africa. I see I can just book thru UR but is it better to transfer points to the Airline that you want to fly? How do I know if 2 seats are available on the flights we want to take? We will be flying home from a different part of Africa - better to book a multi city round trip or one ways? Would the answer be the same for booking a hotel directly thru UR or transfering to Hotel program?

I did try to search to see if i could find an answer although I did not, I did learn some helpful information. If I missed this information If you can just direct me to the right area that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The following thread may be of some help to you.

how to maximize Chase value
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Patybear
We are very new to the miles/points world (other than Southwest - Rapid Rewards Visa Card). We are looking to fly from US to Africa. I see I can just book thru UR but is it better to transfer points to the Airline that you want to fly? How do I know if 2 seats are available on the flights we want to take? We will be flying home from a different part of Africa - better to book a multi city round trip or one ways? Would the answer be the same for booking a hotel directly thru UR or transfering to Hotel program?

I did try to search to see if i could find an answer although I did not, I did learn some helpful information. If I missed this information If you can just direct me to the right area that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Generally if you're flying economy it's better to book through the portal. You won't be subject to program capacity controls and you'll even earn airline miles on your ticket (excluding basic economy if offered). However, many want more value per point and seek out business class saver awards through programs like United (not necessarily on United, but partners). However, this requires searching for availability (you can do a dummy booking on Uniteds website) and having flexibility (especially booking for two).

Most of the time it's not a good deal to transfer Chase UR to hotel programs. For example, Marriott points are valued much lower than Chase UR. The exception here is Hyatt. Hyatt's new category (even the recently added new top tier) doesn't charge much compared to their competitors (new top tier is only 40k/night). The downside being Hyatt has a limited footprint.

Essentially, depends on how you're flying and where you're staying specifically.
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by JHake10; Mar 9, 2019 at 12:21 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by JHake10

Essentially, depends on how you're flying and where you're staying specifically.
The travel and reward is a mine game. There are so many variables. I've transferred URs to airlines and I've used Chase travel portal and booked both flight tickets, tours and rental cars.

Some people chase the point value and spend a lot of time to get there. There is a luck factor.

But remember that you get those points for free. Time is more precious than chasing 1/2 cpps. Points just sit there not earning interest. But you can use your cash to invest and do other things. "Cash is the king".
JHake10 and JaysonW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.