Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

High points earning from business, is CSR a better card?

Old Feb 13, 19, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat/Marriott Plat/United Gold

Great point. Have about 30M Marriott points too, but fly out of a United Fortress so it's my go to option.

Will switch to CSR or another CC in the next 6 months.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
Originally Posted by lincoln841 View Post
Great point. Have about 30M Marriott points too, but fly out of a United Fortress so it's my go to option.

Seems like you have the United MP Club card and are putting 1MM+ monthly on this card at 1.5MR/$.

You could also get a Freedom Unlimited and get 1.5x UR, which transfer to United if that's what you want to do, or to several other great transfer partners. Or also get a CSR and then your 1.5 earned UR are worth 2.25c/ea when purchasing tickets through the portal. You can buy premium economy/business/first tickets through the chase portal and earn higher RDM and PQM on United to get status.

For example, for 80k spend on FU, you'd get 120k UR. This will purchase an average business class ticket SFO-BOS with ~10k UR to spare. You'd also earn ~12K RDM, ~11K PQM and ~$1450 PQD with a ticket price around $1,550.

80K spend on the Club card gets you enough for an award on the same flight, but no RDM/PQM/PQD for elite status. There are other flights around the one I looked at that are $3K cash but same miles amount, so it's best to have a mix of miles and points across multiple programs for flexibility.

10MM miles in one program is too many IMHO. Burn, baby, burn! Also maybe think about donating a few to a charity that could make good use of them.
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver

At the level of cc spend, you definitely need to diversity your points earning to maximize value.

My recommendation would be the new Chase World of Hyatt Visa. You get 5 night credit each year plus 2 nights per $5k spend. This means you can earn 60+ night credits by spending $140K each year and be a Globalist and have all the benefits when staying at Hyatt hotels with your family on vacation. Hyatt Globalist benefits are probably the best among major chains.

If you do want Chase WoH Visa, PM one of us who have the card for referral so that we can earn 5K Hyatt points.
Old Feb 17, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
CSR would seem like a no-brainer here.

Retain the flexibility to transfer to other partners in addition to UA.

Plus can redeem straight up at 1.5 CPP for revenue flights that count against spend requirements (at 1.5 million points a month that's $22,500 you could spend on revenue tickets per month -- additive over time of course).
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat/Marriott Plat/United Gold
Sorry to be so misinformed here, but I've never understood CSR much.

1. Is there a business version of the card.

2. For each dollar spent, you earn 1.5 Chase Points?

3. You can redeem the points either by (i) transferring them to partners like United or Delta on a 1:1 ratio or (ii) redeeming them through Chase's portal with a value of 1 cent each?

Is this correct? Trying to understand the value but have a hard time as I don't have the card.

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
CSR would seem like a no-brainer here.

Retain the flexibility to transfer to other partners in addition to UA.

Plus can redeem straight up at 1.5 CPP for revenue flights that count against spend requirements (at 1.5 million points a month that's $22,500 you could spend on revenue tickets per month -- additive over time of course).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 19 at 7:00 pm Reason: Moved to the Chase forum
Old Feb 19, 19, 7:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Sorry to be so misinformed here, but I've never understood CSR much.

3. You can redeem the points either by (i) transferring them to partners like United or Delta on a 1:1 ratio or (ii) redeeming them through Chase's portal with a value of 1 cent each?

Is this correct? Trying to understand the value but have a hard time as I don't have the card.
As the discussion is drifting away from UA issues and more toward CSR, will move this to the Chase forum where there is extensive discussion of the benefits and use of CSR

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 19, 19, 7:58 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold

1. No, personal card only. There are business cards which earn Ultimate Rewards points, but the features are different.

2. No, if you use Sapphire Reserve you earn 1 point per dollar for general spending, 3 points per dollar for travel and dining. HOWEVER, you could pair it with a free INK Unlimited card - that's a business card which earns 1.5 points per dollar on all spending.

3. You can transfer to partner airlines which include United, JetBlue and Southwest, but do NOT include American or Delta. Alternately, you can use the points in lieu of money to buy travel through Chase's portal operated by Expedia. When used this way the Sapphire Reserve points are worth $0.015 each.

Last edited by mia; Feb 20, 19 at 7:15 am Reason: Fixed airline name.
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
...include United, JetBlue and Southwest, but do NOT include American or United...
You meant Delta for the 2nd United reference.
mia likes this.