Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase converting some INK accounts to INK Capital (no rewards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

today I received terrible news for both of my chase ink accounts (the old and the new preferred)

i was told that because I’m “government entity” my cards are being converted to non-reward earning Chase Capital cards.

I do work for a public university but my business is not a government entity.

Did anyone else receive this notice? Any tips?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I saw this in some of the Facebook travel groups. If your business entity isn't a government entity you should definitely appeal this and/or reapply with one that differentiates from being a government entity. If they say no at least try to get your points moved now to your CSP, CSR or CIP.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:18 pm

Received a letter today from Chase that the both Ink cards will be converted to Ink Capital. What's the story on this conversion? I did not ask for the conversion. Anyone know why this is happening and how to stop the conversion?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rzamora
Received a letter today from Chase that the both Ink cards will be converted to Ink Capital. What's the story on this conversion? I did not ask for the conversion. Anyone know why this is happening and how to stop the conversion?
Are you in the academic field when you applied the Ink Cards? If so, Chase thinks you are government employee and you should not earn any reward from your Ink cards.

Chase has sent out letters to a number of Chase business credit card holders. The letters state that these cardholders are having their business rewards credit cards changed to Chase Business Capital cards on April 2nd because they are ‘government entity clients’ and want to avoid a potential conflict of interest. The Chase Business Capital card does not earn rewards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...ntity-clients/
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Are you in the academic field when you applied the Ink Cards? If so, Chase thinks you are government employee and you should not earn any reward from your Ink cards.

Chase has sent out letters to a number of Chase business credit card holders. The letters state that these cardholders are having their business rewards credit cards changed to Chase Business Capital cards on April 2nd because they are ‘government entity clients’ and want to avoid a potential conflict of interest. The Chase Business Capital card does not earn rewards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...ntity-clients/
So I am in the academic field and did select Educational services when applying. But I do not in any way work for or with govt entities. What do we do if we receive this letter? I mean, I know I can call, but are they staying on top of this realizing what they’ve set in motion?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See here:

Chase Sending Out Business Credit Card Forced Product Conversion Letters For ‘Government Entity Clients’ (DoC)

Apparently many people who have gotten this letter aren't government entities, so it appears Chase may have sent (some of?) these letters in error.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

So I am in the academic field and did select Educational services when applying. But I do not in any way work for or with govt entities. What do we do if we receive this letter? I mean, I know I can call, but are they staying on top of this realizing what they’ve set in motion?
Did you read the linked blog about this that Happy posted? It says that other people who have gotten this letter are not "government entities", and that Chase apparently sent some (many?) of these letters in error.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you read the linked blog about this that Happy posted? It says that other people who have gotten this letter are not "government entities", and that Chase apparently sent some (many?) of these letters in error.
I did read the linked blog. And the comment section. The article opens with the statement that these letters were sent in error but later update says letter was sent to folks who signed up with Educational Services as their business. And the comments reveal conflicting responses from Chase, including the response that even if your business is unrelated to govt/public schools, like if you are a private tutor or consultant, you will still be converted.

"FWIW, got the letter yesterday. Called Customer Service and was told to ignore it since I’m not a government entity client. CSR was dreading the onslaught of calls they were going to get."
"Just spoke to a supervisor, she said there is no opt out and that if you received the notice then it’s happening to your account. Absolute BS I’m a public school employee but my business is completely non-related. Quite infuriating."

Last edited by mia; Feb 16, 2019 at 4:22 pm Reason: Formatting of quoted text.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@stagermainparis

It seems a developing event, just like the 1099 fiasco.

There are reports on reddits as well but they are buried in the daily discussion thread instead of a stand alone thread.
There are also reports on non English site.

Same conflict information - but mostly are Chase phone reps have NO CLUE at this junction. I would suggest for those who are affected, go down to your local branch if you have it in your locale and ask the branch manager to sort this out for you if you are indeed not have your business income from being directly employed by a public education system.

On Reddits and non English sites, there are people who do private tutoring and obviously picked the education as their field, they get the notice letters.

Once again, it is Chase using software to flag accounts due to compliance needs but without thinking thru the potential implication - for the most obvious, the top universities in this country are all PRIVATE - but if you have business income derived from providing services to such entity, you will be classified as government employee and therefore your Ink card would be forced to convert to the no earning Ink Capital card...

It is just yet another mess we have seen coming from Chase in the short period into 2019...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Eek.

Please follow the thread as we relocate your query to the Chase forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
So I received this letter and I don’t exactly recall what I selected.I received the CIP 2 months back and am just completing the MSR’s to get the welcome bonus. So if they have decided 2nd April, then will need to transfer the points as soon as I get those?
Btw,they charged me $95 as joining fee which from the letter seems they will refund right?As others have said that Chase is bent on changing the card, I just hope the welcome bonus posts and I am able to transfer those and that they refund the joining fee..(I anyway’s applied for the welcome bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
So I received this letter and I don’t exactly recall what I selected.I received the CIP 2 months back and am just completing the MSR’s to get the welcome bonus. So if they have decided 2nd April, then will need to transfer the points as soon as I get those?
Btw,they charged me $95 as joining fee which from the letter seems they will refund right?As others have said that Chase is bent on changing the card, I just hope the welcome bonus posts and I am able to transfer those and that they refund the joining fee..(I anyway’s applied for the welcome bonus.
NO.
I read a fresh DP on non English site, the poster received a letter informing him his existing UR pts would be cashed out in 1c per pt and a check of $190 would be mailed to him.

Yes, the $95 will be refunded.

For those who are affected, you will need to take action in any way you see fit, rather than waiting for Chase to come to its solution. Right now it seems like a machine in motion to pursuit the forced conversion.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Happy
NO.
I read a fresh DP on non English site, the poster received a letter informing him his existing UR pts would be cashed out in 1c per pt and a check of $190 would be mailed to him..
I cannot transfer the points to my personal account ?? It will be cashed and then I am sure they will send me a 1099 at year end !
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I cannot transfer the points to my personal account ?? It will be cashed and then I am sure they will send me a 1099 at year end !
I have no idea what you can do. I suppose that before the forced cash out is taken effect if your accounts are linked online, you should be able to transfer the pts out.

The poster just said he received a mail from Chase informing him about the cash out value and the AF refund at the time of the card is involuntarily converted.

For those who are affected, it is upon yourself to contact Chase ASAP to sort this out if your business card is NOT based on your business income from a government entity. . The earlier the better.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
I got this too, although I do not work for government or education and do not have a .edu address. My business is vacation rentals. I do have an unusual email domain, so perhaps Chase was unsure how to classify me.

I won't have time to contact Chase for a week or so. By then, I hope others will have figured out some idea of what to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.