Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Looking to use UR to get flight from SEA to KOA

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

I've been working on this for a while and can't seem to find the flight I want.

On awardhacker SQ and BA both have great redemptions using AS for non-stop flights to KOA from SEA. I can't find AS as an option for a coach flight on either. Both accept transfer from UR.

I have accounts with both and can't find a single non-stop flight flown by AS. I have tried dozens of dates as tests and nothing comes up. I then called BA twice and was on hold for over an hour both times and never got through. I have also signed up with Expert Flyer and couldn't find any AS awards there either.

I am new to this game, am I missing something?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Are you able to see other AS flights, just not the nonstops? If so, maybe AS isn’t making them available for partner awards? I checked AA award redemption as it’s another AS partner, and regardless of the dates I tried, it only gave me options with stops for SEA-KOA, no nonstops.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
If there are no award seats, consider using UR points at 1.5x if you have CSR or CSP.
So it would cost you 6,667 points for every $100 in airfare. And you earn miles when you fly.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samplat
Are you able to see other AS flights, just not the nonstops? If so, maybe AS isnt making them available for partner awards? I checked AA award redemption as its another AS partner, and regardless of the dates I tried, it only gave me options with stops for SEA-KOA, no nonstops.
Really not seeing any AS, but I have mostly been looking at non-stops. I'm guessing awardtracker isn't 100%? I don't think it's a matter of the flights only being available sometimes. I haven't found it once and have searched a lot.

Also, if the award flight isn't showing up on BA or SQ's websites, is there a chance they are available by phone?

Originally Posted by SFO777
If there are no award seats, consider using UR points at 1.5x if you have CSR or CSP.
So it would cost you 6,667 points for every $100 in airfare. And you earn miles when you fly.
We do have CSR, so yes this is an option. Would save me about 20% on points if I could do it through awards. But would rather pay extra for non-stop. We have 2 young children and don't want to deal with a stopover.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matrim33
We do have CSR, so yes this is an option. Would save me about 20% on points if I could do it through awards. But would rather pay extra for non-stop. We have 2 young children and don't want to deal with a stopover.
How much to just buy the nonstops you want, roundtrip?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Really not seeing any AS, but I have mostly been looking at non-stops. I'm guessing awardtracker isn't 100%? I don't think it's a matter of the flights only being available sometimes. I haven't found it once and have searched a lot.

Also, if the award flight isn't showing up on BA or SQ's websites, is there a chance they are available by phone?
If you are willing to depart from a different airport, search for availability on AS's year-round PDX-KOA nonstop, and/or seasonal BLI-KOA nonstop.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you are willing to depart from a different airport, search for availability on AS's year-round PDX-KOA nonstop, and/or seasonal BLI-KOA nonstop.
I am assuming that with these response awardtracker sometimes shows awards that aren't available on any date?

SEA is are only option, I would like to use awards but can use UR with CSR in a pinch.

How much to just buy the nonstops you want, roundtrip?
About $600.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am assuming that with these response awardtracker sometimes shows awards that aren't available on any date?
Awardhacker never show awards that are/are not available.
It shows theoretical routes that may be possible. But you need to look at the ffp web sites for the details of what is possible.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About $600.
OK, so you can buy the $600 ticket for 40K UR points each. The cheapest mileage seats I see are 35K Alaska miles roundtrip if you can find award seats.
Since you'll earn miles when you (1) buy the ticket and (2) fly the flights, you're earn more in miles than the 5K difference.
Just buy the tickets using UR on the dates you want and be done with it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

OK, so you can buy the $600 ticket for 40K UR points each. The cheapest mileage seats I see are 35K Alaska miles roundtrip if you can find award seats.
Since you'll earn miles when you (1) buy the ticket and (2) fly the flights, you're earn more in miles than the 5K difference.
Just buy the tickets using UR on the dates you want and be done with it.
I was trying for BA award which was 25k. Or SQ at 24k. But I can't find nonstop AS as options. Could the flight be available by phone?

I will probably do exactly like you said, but like I said I am new to the game and trying to figure it all out. I am also trying to get to Australia later in the year with business class using MR. The process seems much easier as ANA's site has a lot of partner award availability.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was trying for BA award which was 25k. Or SQ at 24k. But I can't find nonstop AS as options. Could the flight be available by phone?
Are award seats available on the dates you want on AS.com? If not, you're not going to get BA or SQ to see them.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was trying for BA award which was 25k. Or SQ at 24k. But I can't find nonstop AS as options. Could the flight be available by phone?.
If using BA avios you need to phone BA, Same for SQ, AS etc
25K BA avios and 24K SQ points and 35K AS ff miles all have different award values as the what flights they can get. They are not 1:1
At the $600 on AS you can credit to any AS or any AS ff partner: AS BA, SQ, so earn some ff currency back.
To most burning X thousand ff miles/avios/points would not be good value for a $600 flights.
What ffp's are you a signed up member of?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Are award seats available on the dates you want on AS.com? If not, you're not going to get BA or SQ to see them.
Yes they are. 35k non-stop with not so great flight times, 50k for good times.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If using BA avios you need to phone BA, Same for SQ, AS etc
25K BA avios and 24K SQ points and 35K AS ff miles all have different award values as the what flights they can get. They are not 1:1
At the $600 on AS you can credit to any AS or any AS ff partner: AS BA, SQ, so earn some ff currency back.
To most burning X thousand ff miles/avios/points would not be good value for a $600 flights.
What ffp's are you a signed up member of?
Maybe I am looking at it wrong. I am comparing 1.5x using Chase versus transferring points to a partner. So, 24k points is worth $360 when comparing buying on Chase's portal. That's a lot better than $600.

Do you mean I should save miles for more expensive flights?

I have accounts setup with: ANA, AS, SQ, BA, and UA. I only have organic miles with AS. I have some UR saved up and holding on to MR for trip to Australia later in the year.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:50 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ and BA will only see saver seats. So they should be able to see the 35K saver seats, but not the 50K seats.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

SQ and BA will only see saver seats. So they should be able to see the 35K saver seats, but not the 50K seats.
They aren't on their site, should I call?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.