Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Contactless Cards (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:28 pm

Called and request a contactless CSR two weeks ago and got my card last week. It says "Contains Metal DO NOT SHRED" and feels like it has metal. It only have the contactless logo on the bottom right of the back side of the card. Only the chip is on the front. The Chase logo is left of the words Sapphire Reserve, not above it as with the previous non-contactless card.

Last edited by LionNYC; Jun 3, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by dcrombie
Called today, per the Chase Contactless FAQ, to request a contactless version of my Chase Freedom Unlimited. 2 reps (executive line) told me it was impossible as I do not have that option in my profile. I argued, but then realized I was getting nowhere. So I guess I will have to wait until Chase proactively sends out a contactless version before my 2023 expiry, and in the meantime, continue using my Amex for contactless.
I received a similar response when I asked for one earlier this year. I guess I'll give the replace a damaged card route a go.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Request a replacement online using the "damaged" option. I've yet to hear of a case where that didn't work for a card that Chase supports contactless on.
thanks. Did just that. Will see what happens. Mentioned this as a solution to the “supervisor” on my call and she said that I’d be mailed a regular contact card. We shall see.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
The damaged option worked as my contactless CSR came in today.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:02 am

Request a replacement online using the "damaged" option. I've yet to hear of a case where that didn't work for a card that Chase supports contactless on.
Worked for my "damaged" CFU, thanks. Did not for JPM Reserve, but I believe that they don't have contactless as an option. It will likely be the last card to get it, if ever.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:49 am

My CFU lasted for years without getting any fraudulent charges. It was actually due to expire in a few month then all of a sudden I got a fraud charge on it. They sent me the replacement card with a new number but the new card is contactless. I didn't ask for one... just came that way.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Deleted by author
​​​​​​

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jul 7, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:51 pm

Is this something that has to be activated? I tried using it on my United Explorer and did not work.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ali380
Is this something that has to be activated? I tried using it on my United Explorer and did not work.
It should work immediately without needing to do anything special. What did the terminal say, if anything?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Just curious....why is everyone wanting a contactless physical card if you can just use NFC (Apple Pay / Samsung Pay) with the card loaded on your phone? Saves you from having to pull a physical card out of the wallet as well...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just curious....why is everyone wanting a contactless physical card if you can just use NFC (Apple Pay / Samsung Pay) with the card loaded on your phone? Saves you from having to pull a physical card out of the wallet as well...
A physical card doesn't need a battery to function, plus it can be easier for contactless in certain contexts.

That said, they're still uncommon enough that some places won't activate the terminal unless they see you insert your card or try to tap your phone.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Rather an unusual reason, but I understand that at Australian restaurants (perhaps Canada as well in some cases?), with a high threshold for contactless payments, it's common for servers to take the card away as in the United States, tap it at the POS terminal, and return with the completed receipt.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List
With Face ID it’s kind of a pain to unlock the phone, launch Apple Pay, wait for Face ID to authenticate again and then select which card I want to use. I have a slim wallet with my CSR in the front pocket. So all I have to do is slide the card up a bit and tap the whole wallet on the card reader. I also have a S4 Apple Watch and find that I still prefer to just tap the physical card.
mia and linglingfool like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:55 am

I got an email offer from Chase to get 500 points per $1.75 transaction using my contactless Freedom card.

Thing is i didn't have a contactless Freedom card. So I called and requested one was told I wasn't eligible for it. Thought about it a few days later and sm'd for one. Not only got it but had it expedited.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
A physical card doesn't need a battery to function, plus it can be easier for contactless in certain contexts.

That said, they're still uncommon enough that some places won't activate the terminal unless they see you insert your card or try to tap your phone.
I like being able to do both! Depends on what’s in your hand or easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.