Chase Contactless Cards (2019)

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dunbar

With Face ID it’s kind of a pain to unlock the phone, launch Apple Pay, wait for Face ID to authenticate again and then select which card I want to use. I have a slim wallet with my CSR in the front pocket. So all I have to do is slide the card up a bit and tap the whole wallet on the card reader. I also have a S4 Apple Watch and find that I still prefer to just tap the physical card.
Good points. I still find it easier to tap my phone, which is always in my hand, instead of getting out my wallet (exposing it to potential thieves). Also, Apple Pay generates a single-use secure token for every transactions, which is more secure than using the actual contactless number of the plastic card itself. (both options, of course, are more secure than chip, mag stripe, or, heaven forbid, manual typing the embossed number into the terminal).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
With Face ID it’s kind of a pain to unlock the phone, launch Apple Pay, wait for Face ID to authenticate again and then select which card I want to use.
There's no need to unlock the phone to use Apple Pay. You only need to authenticate once.
Cardboard55 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Good points. I still find it easier to tap my phone, which is always in my hand, instead of getting out my wallet (exposing it to potential thieves). Also, Apple Pay generates a single-use secure token for every transactions, which is more secure than using the actual contactless number of the plastic card itself. (both options, of course, are more secure than chip, mag stripe, or, heaven forbid, manual typing the embossed number into the terminal).
I find it easiest to determine if I'm going to use a specific card before I went out for the day. For instance, in London I kept my contactless card in my shirt pocket so that it was easy to tap for the tube just like an Oyster card.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdxer
There's no need to unlock the phone to use Apple Pay. You only need to authenticate once.
When I was using an iPhone I found that going to the Wallet app and pre-authenticating before tapping made the transaction run more quickly than waiting for the phone to detect the NFC field first. I'm not sure if this is still true though, especially since I was using a 6s before.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
When I was using an iPhone I found that going to the Wallet app and pre-authenticating before tapping made the transaction run more quickly than waiting for the phone to detect the NFC field first. I'm not sure if this is still true though, especially since I was using a 6s before.
Double-press the sleep/wake button and authenticate with Face ID or double-press the home button and authenticate with Touch ID (one combined step), then hold it near the terminal to pay. Optionally, switch cards before paying.

There's no need to wait for the phone to detect NFC or to unlock it to launch the Wallet app or any other app, although that does work.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxer
Double-press the sleep/wake button and authenticate with Face ID or double-press the home button and authenticate with Touch ID (one combined step), then hold it near the terminal to pay. Optionally, switch cards before paying.

There's no need to wait for the phone to detect NFC or to unlock it to launch the Wallet app or any other app, although that does work.
Yep, that's what I was referring to when I was saying "pre-authenticating" above. ^
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just curious....why is everyone wanting a contactless physical card if you can just use NFC (Apple Pay / Samsung Pay) with the card loaded on your phone? Saves you from having to pull a physical card out of the wallet as well...
On my OnePlus phone, the face unlock is so fast I don't have a chance to scan my fingerprint to unlock the phone. Google Pay, however, doesn't recognize OP's facial recognition as an acceptable biometric identifier, so I have to tap once to get the phone to prompt me for my fingerprint, unlock it, wait for the terminal to reset, and then tap again.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linglingfool
On my OnePlus phone, the face unlock is so fast I don't have a chance to scan my fingerprint to unlock the phone. Google Pay, however, doesn't recognize OP's facial recognition as an acceptable biometric identifier, so I have to tap once to get the phone to prompt me for my fingerprint, unlock it, wait for the terminal to reset, and then tap again.
Which phone? Google Pay originally didn't allow face unlock on my 6 but apparently started to somewhat recently, at least for smaller purchases anyway. I mostly use the fingerprint scanner to unlock, however, which seems active even when the screen's off.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:51 am

Which phone? Google Pay originally didn't allow face unlock on my 6 but apparently started to somewhat recently, at least for smaller purchases anyway. I mostly use the fingerprint scanner to unlock, however, which seems active even when the screen's off.
How recently? I have a 6T.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How recently? I have a 6T.
I don't recall exactly when but I did try using face unlock at the cafeteria at my workplace just now and had no issues. I'd likely still use the fingerprint scanner though due to convenience.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:32 pm

I don't recall exactly when but I did try using face unlock at the cafeteria at my workplace just now and had no issues. I'd likely still use the fingerprint scanner though due to convenience.
Interesting. I'm quite the opposite because I have to hold the phone at an incredibly inconvenient angle for the face unlock to not instantly recognize me for long enough to sneak in a fingerprint read.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I'm quite the opposite because I have to hold the phone at an incredibly inconvenient angle for the face unlock to not instantly recognize me for long enough to sneak in a fingerprint read.
I imagine it might be different for me if I had to turn on the display in order to use the fingerprint reader. (Not sure if you have to with the 6T or not.) Also, I find that the face unlock isn't 100% reliable, which could very well be improved on newer models.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:14 pm

I imagine it might be different for me if I had to turn on the display in order to use the fingerprint reader. (Not sure if you have to with the 6T or not.) Also, I find that the face unlock isn't 100% reliable, which could very well be improved on newer models.
Ah, yeah, the 6T has the fingerprint reader built into the screen, not a dedicated scanner on the back of the phone, so that makes sense. Face unlock works well enough with the newer build that it's usually through before I can even really look at my lock screen.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
I got an email offer from Chase to get 500 points per $1.75 transaction using my contactless Freedom card.

Thing is i didn't have a contactless Freedom card. So I called and requested one was told I wasn't eligible for it. Thought about it a few days later and sm'd for one. Not only got it but had it expedited.
So quoting myself to ask does it sound like 500 points per $1.75 transaction since the e-mail says "tap to pay 3 times"...Because Chase is saying only one 500 points bonus to be received.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SouthernCross
Just received the updated Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Chase credit card and the card design has also switched from metal to plastic. For comparison the equivalent product from Amex, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card is metal, so perhaps it's time to switch to Amex.
Same here. Just received mine. It's not a complete deal breaker, but I like the heft of the metal cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.