Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points to me

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Points to me

Can someone apply for a Chase card and associate the points/miles earned with my Chase account?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:09 am

If that someone has your name, sure
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlugE
If that someone has your name, sure
Darn. I'm trying to figure out how to get repaid for a points 'loan' I made to someone.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I suppose they could name you as their Authorized User on their personal card or Business Partner on their Business Card. Or if you need Hyatt points, they could transfer their Chase points to their own Hyatt, then onward to your Hyatt. Marriott is also possible, but the exchange rate is poor.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Darn. I'm trying to figure out how to get repaid for a points 'loan' I made to someone.
Negotiate a cash repayment.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Diplomatico, that might work. However, Iowa Guy might need points/ miles for a high-value award. Or maybe his is a Coupon Connection trade & he is trying to obey the rules.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I have no idea what the rules are...I'm just trying to figure out any way that I could get paid back in miles.

They'd never be able to pay me back for the cash value of 140k United miles that were used for Business class tickets.

After I figure out how to get the miles from them, I'll need to figure out how they can get 140k United miles in less than a year with only about a 10k spend.

Yeah, I know. I'm screwed.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have no idea what the rules are...I
Read the Wikipost at the top of these threads. If the other person is not a member of your household there is no way, within the rules, to move UR points from their card to one of yours, nor to your UA account. However, the other person could accumulate 140,000 miles in their own UA account, and redeem for an award ticket in your name.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I am more than willing to ignore the rules but what is likely to happen is they book 140k miles worth of tickets for me.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....what is likely to happen is they book 140k miles worth of tickets for me.
There is nothing in the rules of most frequent flyer programs that precludes booking an award ticket for another person, unless the account holder sold the award ticket. Do you know the other person well?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:23 pm

Iowaguy, do you prefer to receive UA miles? Or would you rather get miles of another airline(s) or hotel points/ free rooms?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you know the other person well?
I do. I'm not worried about them trying to 'pay' me back, I'm more worried about how they can accumulate the miles.

Originally Posted by Brendan
Iowaguy, do you prefer to receive UA miles? Or would you rather get miles of another airline(s) or hotel points/ free rooms?
The only reason I prefer UA miles is that is what I used to purchase tickets for them (two 70k United business class seats). I think the cash price for them was about $11k--I wouldn't want them to pay that price to me. I would be willing to accept about $10k in hotel points/rooms but I was thinking that it might be easier to get paid back in UA miles....maybe not.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I do. I'm not worried about them trying to 'pay' me back, I'm more worried about how they can accumulate the miles.

The only reason I prefer UA miles is that is what I used to purchase tickets for them (two 70k United business class seats). I think the cash price for them was about $11k--I wouldn't want them to pay that price to me. I would be willing to accept about $10k in hotel points/rooms but I was thinking that it might be easier to get paid back in UA miles....maybe not.
I think valuation might be an issue here too if you go the hotel route. It’s easy enough to say you redeemed 140k United miles and the friend should “repay” you 140k United miles. But you redeemed miles at 7.86 cents each, which is well into the long tail of redemption values. It is very rare to see even the best hotel redemptions come close to the extreme value that can be found with air redemptions. How many hotel points would be equivalent in your mind?

Take Hilton, for example. Hilton points are generally valued at 0.5-0.6 cents each. Redeeming for one cent per point, such as for ultra luxury properties like the Conrad Maldives, is considered excellent. In order to get $10k of hotels at that rate, your friend would need to earn a million Hilton points for you.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

At that Hilton rate, I'd say we better stick with paying me back with UA miles.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:40 am

At that Hilton rate, I'd say we better stick with paying me back with UA miles.
It sounds like this person needs to sign up for some combination of United and UR-earning cards. 3 cards, most likely. Earn the bonuses, transfer the URs to their United account, and book you a couple tickets.
mia and cuthroat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.