Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bay Area to Europe, in Premium Economy or better, for 5, with 350,000 UR points plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area to Europe, in Premium Economy or better, for 5, with 350,000 UR points plus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Question Bay Area to Europe, in Premium Economy or better, for 5, with 350,000 UR points plus

Looking for some advice on the best points + cash spend to acomplish the goal. I need to get 5 people from SMF/SFO/OAK to PRG then from MUC back. Taking the trian in between. Departing March 15th. Returning March 23rd. Should I just suck it up and purchase economy through the portal on BA and upgrade with cash? Economy BA has been around 55K per. Lufthansa offers economy 75K per. Not a great deal but they do have a direct to MUC. Open to all suggestions. No airline preferance. THANKS!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddball_one Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Oddball_one
Looking for some advice on the best points + cash spend to accomplish the goal. I need to get 5 people from SMF/SFO/OAK to PRG then from MUC back. Taking the train in between. Departing March 15th. Returning March 23rd. Should I just suck it up and purchase economy through the portal on BA and upgrade with cash? Economy BA has been around 55K per. Lufthansa offers economy 75K per. Not a great deal but they do have a direct to MUC. Open to all suggestions. No airline preference. THANKS!
Departing on a specific date and returning on a specific date makes anything other than a fully paid tickets hard.
Premium cabin seats: harder again by a magnitude (if not buying with cash)
5 of you on the same deal/PNR: harder again by a magnitude (if not buying with cash)

Have you investigated what 350,000 UR points can do for you? Availability?
Chase FT thread Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)

What do you mean by "BA has been around 55K"? 55K of what?
If you think you can buy economy (with UR points/cash?) on BA and upgrade with cash for less than the full retail fare difference time to think again: that's not going to happen. And with 5 people, even less chance.

You may be better looking for flights from California to any where in central Eu and train to PRG and then to MUC.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=PRG-MUC...L&DU=mi&SU=kts
For PE/Busness just expect to pay the $$$ to get your party of 5 to Eu & back.
At best you may get is some with UR points/ff miles and the others with hard cash.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 14, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oddball_one
Looking for some advice on the best points + cash spend to acomplish the goal. I need to get 5 people from SMF/SFO/OAK to PRG then from MUC back. Taking the trian in between. Departing March 15th. Returning March 23rd. Should I just suck it up and purchase economy through the portal on BA and upgrade with cash? Economy BA has been around 55K per. Lufthansa offers economy 75K per. Not a great deal but they do have a direct to MUC. Open to all suggestions. No airline preferance. THANKS!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Oddball_one.

Both "saver" award flights and upgrades are "only when available", which is a fraction of the time (both a fraction of the planes, and a fraction of the seats on a plane). If you buy paid fares, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade all 5 with miles. If you want to use outright awards, then it's very unlikely that you'll find 5 awards (premium economy or above) all on the same plane.

Many people solve the latter problem by breaking the group into a least 2 parts, and not everyone trying to get awards on the same plane. (But even then, it might require flexibility of dates, not very specific dates pre-planned.)

If you do find seats on BA, you're already paying with points + cash, since BA charges huge "YQ" fee (high hundreds of dollars per person) on trans-Atlantic awards.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@Oddball_one, welcome to Flyertalk.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the Chase UR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.