Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are unprofitable customers "creditworthy"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Let’s say we move the bar. What if the ultimate goal is not merely to distinguish between good and bad risk, but rather to identify bad risk to the extent it’s still profitable?

Judy: It's not very complimentary. And nothing else?
Scottie: No.
Judy: It's not very complimentary either.
Vertigo (1958)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I know Chase and Barclays are trying not to let churners like me get new cards. But there's a downside to this as well. I used to make sure to put regular monthly spend on my Chase/Barclays cards, hoping to have this help get me approved for new cards in the future. Now that it's clear that won't happen any more, I only spend where the ROI on that spend is worth it to me. So DW and I put a cumulative $6K each month on our HHilton cards, as that gets us 6X points on GCs at grocery stores. And $6K yearly "grocery" spend on each of our Everyday Preferred cards, as that gets us 4.5 points per $. But now our Chase cards, with the exception of the quarterly bonus on the Freedom card, only see a few small charges a year, just to make sure Chase doesn't close them for lack of activity. The ROI on our IHG cards, which we keep just for the annual free night certificate, is just not good enough to reward spending any significant amount on.
It's always fun to read the "you messed up, Chase" stories. You have(/had) a Chase card, so it's not a matter of 5/24 stopping you from using them on your monthly spend. Are you just refusing to use them on principal, or did you close them in hopes to reopen them again for a bonus? I doubt they are impressed by the 6k a month spend, considering you probably expect $1000+ in welcome bonuses for the year in return, let alone the normally earned rewards.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RNE
If I ran a "co" in one of Chase's co-branded cards, I'd tell Chase to issue my card to every credit-worthy customer who applies for it. Or, I'd find a bank who will.
"Credit-worthy" refers to the likelihood that someone will repay their debts. "Profitable" can include other factors, such as spending patterns. A churner who meets the minimum spend requirements, cashes out on the 100K signup bonus, and then cancels the card, is probably not profitable, despite being credit-worthy. While credit-worthy customers are generally more profitable, this is not a perfect correlation. There are exceptions, including many of us on this forum who exploit the loopholes.

Who is profitable for the airline is different from who is profitable for the issuer, but it is generally the card issuer that is absorbing the risk of people exploiting these loopholes. When a customer takes the 100K signup bonus and then stops using the card, the card issuer bears the brunt of it. The airline is simply selling them miles.

If an airline insisted that all creditworthy customers be approved, the issuer would have to take a much larger risk. They would either refuse to do this, or compensate for it in some other way, such as by demanding a lower price for the miles they are buying. I don't think it is in the interest of the airline to go to bat for people who are clearly abusing the program.
pallhedge and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:04 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Banks look at metrics like the average/median FICO score of their customers. Adding a churner (or even a spender who always pays bills on time) lets the banks also add a low-FICO customer - and collect interest from them - while maintaining the average risk of their portfolio.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xlr
Banks look at metrics like the average/median FICO score of their customers. Adding a churner (or even a spender who always pays bills on time) lets the banks also add a low-FICO customer - and collect interest from them - while maintaining the average risk of their portfolio.
By this logic, the low-FICO customers and churners are somehow superior to the transactors, which obviously isn't true when all banking services are considered (mortgages, auto loans, etc.).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joe_miami
By this logic, the low-FICO customers and churners are somehow superior to the transactors, which obviously isn't true when all banking services are considered (mortgages, auto loans, etc.).
I don't understand how so many churners think they are somehow bringing good business. It's quite clear from all of the action banks have taken to limit welcome bonuses, is it is intended to get long-term customers in the door, and like you said, using other services as well.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
The goal is not to bring good business, it's to bring unprofitable business that their algorithms see as good business. Creditworthiness isn't definitive but it helps.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An issuer (bank) might well be willing to accept lower creditworthiness, e.g. accept a higher risk of default from an otherwise more profitable customer. In the reverse situation, the same issuer might have less tolerance for poorer credit for a lower margin customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.