Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United flight on UR points question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

United flight on UR points question

I'm booking flights to/from Costa Rica this winter. I was going to do so using United points of which I have a fair number, but I have missed the best 'saver' deals on the dates I need to go. This would be flying economy as my Explorer card gets me the free checked bag, group 2 boarding, and I can usually choose a seat that's not back in steerage. (When flying for work my clients will usually pop for premium economy but on my own I am still a cheapskate skinny backbacker...plus 20 pounds and 30 years.)

I find that there is a much better deal (15K000 fewer miles/points!) on the same flight outbound using UR points but this appears to be a 'basic economy' rate. So I don't know if the (very modest) benefits of holding the card will apply. I am guessing that if I check a bag at the airport and bring out the Explorer card there will be no fee for that, but maybe not.

I called UR to ask if the Explorer benefits 'carry through' the UR-Expedia chain, but the CSR didn't quite get what my question was and admittedly it was a bit obscure.

I bet someone here will know though!

Last edited by chicagoal; Nov 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I am not a United flyer, but it appears you must pay for the ticket with the card to receive the benefit:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../chasebag.html

To receive this Cardmember benefit, the primary Cardmember must:

Include their MileagePlus number in the reservation
Purchase the tickets with their United Chase Card
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I just found this, on the United site:

Q: If my MileagePlus credit card qualifies for priority boarding benefits, will those benefits apply on Basic Economy tickets?
A:
Yes, if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits.

Elsewhere it says that even on a Basic Economy ticket, having the Mileage Plus card entitles you to the same checked baggage allowance as you'd normally get--ie the first one free, IF you used your United # when you bought the ticket and IF you paid with the United credit card...

The problem with all this is apparently not the 'basic economy' part but the fact that I'm not paying but doing it with points. If there was only some tax or fee attached to the ticket that I could pay with the card I feel I'd have a better argument but with UR points, that's all covered.

Last edited by chicagoal; Nov 6, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:57 am

In all likelihood, you will get priority boarding, you will not get free checked bags, and you will not be able to choose seats.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Well, curiosity got the better of me, also innate cheapness, so I had to test this out.

This morning I confirmed that I could book the nonstop United ORD-SJO flight I wanted in January on the Chase UR portal for about 10.5K points.

I'd already booked one way ORD-SJO using 25K United miles (plus $22 fees), but was able to cancel that, just barely within the 24hr window.

Then I went to the Chase portal, started the process of booking the flight, but the first 'booking' page offered the chance to upgrade, which I should have expected. The pleasant surprise was that it was only about 2K more points to get to regular Economy, with a free carry-on bag and seat selection. So now I'm at 12.5K UR points, an even better deal than the 17.5K UA miles that is the cheapest Saver rate.

And I'd forgotten that with UR points, you can mix how you pay, points and $, so I decided to pay a tiny bit of it on my Explorer card. That way both the Explorer card and my UA # are attached to the reservation, and that should assure priority boarding and a free checked bag, if I take one. After all I have met the requirements, even if it was only $5 that I paid using the card.

This may have been kind of an obscure question but hopefully someone else will find this thread and find it useful!

Originally Posted by pallhedge
In all likelihood, you will get priority boarding, you will not get free checked bags, and you will not be able to choose seats.

Last edited by chicagoal; Nov 7, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by chicagoal
Thanks for the response. You are probably right.

The carry-on bag is also a question. Basic Economy doesn't allow a regular carry-on bag, only a 'personal item,' and if you show up at the gate with a carry-on, they gate-check it, charge you for that PLUS an extra $25 for their trouble.

But I show up at the gate with my carry-on and they don't want to let me carry it on and then I pull out the Explorer card, what will happen? Doubt the earth will open up with fire and brimstone!

I may just stick with using the United miles just to avoid the uncertainty. Earn 'em and burn 'em, right?
I never had the Explorer card, but I had the MileagePlus Club card for a while. In my experience, pulling out the card at the counter or gate does nothing. There maybe a chance, however, that after you are charged (for carry-on or baggage paying with your Explorer Card) that you could email CS and get a refund. They can clearly see that your charge was for baggage and on a Explorer Card on a flight that you are on.

You could also get the Econ Basic tickets thru UR portal and then upgrade them to Econ or EP on United using the Explorer card to pay the upgrade fee? I have done something like that before but with a different airline. And my purpose at the time was to use up the free airline upgrade credit on the card.
chicagoal likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
And I'd forgotten that with UR points, you can mix how you pay, points and $, so I decided to pay a tiny bit of it on my Explorer card. That way both the Explorer card and my UA # are attached to the reservation, and that should assure priority boarding and a free checked bag, if I take one. After all I have met the requirements, even if it was only $5 that I paid using the card.
Here's the thing through, from my understanding United doesn't see that you're paying with your Explorer card when you book through the UR portal. Humor me and go log into your United account and click on Manage Trip, and then scroll down to the part where it details the bag fees (looks like this). This is from a flight I have booked for next month and mine shows as $0 but it's because I have status. I would be interested to know what yours says for this flight. I'm expecting it won't say $0.

Another thing you can look at is "View Ticket Receipt" which is right under your flight itinerary. If you click on that, it will show the credit card that United sees is associated with the reservation. I'm curious if the card on the receipt matches your Explorer card, as in shows Visa and last 4 digits of your card.
chicagoal likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

kk, you may be a kanuck, but not so krazy.

You are exactly right, and now I am confused. Though I very deliberately entered my Explorer Visa card in for that little part of the ticket, what shows on my United receipt is that the whole thing ( a whopping $140 + $40 taxes and CR landing fee) was paid for on a Mastercard THAT IS NOT EVEN MINE. I kinda thought it might default to my Sapphire Reserve Visa that is tied to this UR account, but instead it's this MC I have no idea about. Maybe it's Expedia's 'Master' Mastercard account that handles all their buys from United? Did yours turn out to be a MC? I could message you the last four digits here if you want to compare.

So...on the one hand, as the ticket was paid for with $, I am getting United miles and PQD for this trip (!) but it's a 'G' 'deep discount' fare, that means it's regular economy, not basic, though down at #23 on the 'pecking order' according to https://cwsi.net/united.htm.

So though no seat was assigned, I was able to choose one myself.

And though the 'fare rules' say that the first checked bag is $30, when I scroll down on my itinerary, what I see is similar to what you did:

So it looks like I am getting the perks of the Explorer card anyway. I don't have any status on United so it's got to be from the card. The last part of the puzzle is boarding priority and I'll have to wait for January to see about that.

Thanks for following up on this!

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Here's the thing through, from my understanding United doesn't see that you're paying with your Explorer card when you book through the UR portal. Humor me and go log into your United account and click on Manage Trip, and then scroll down to the part where it details the bag fees (looks like this). This is from a flight I have booked for next month and mine shows as $0 but it's because I have status. I would be interested to know what yours says for this flight. I'm expecting it won't say $0.

Another thing you can look at is "View Ticket Receipt" which is right under your flight itinerary. If you click on that, it will show the credit card that United sees is associated with the reservation. I'm curious if the card on the receipt matches your Explorer card, as in shows Visa and last 4 digits of your card.

Last edited by chicagoal; Nov 7, 2018 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
kk, you may be a kanuck, but not so krazy.

You are exactly right, and now I am confused. Though I very deliberately entered my Explorer Visa card in for that little part of the ticket, what shows on my United receipt is that the whole thing ( a whopping $140 + $40 taxes and CR landing fee) was paid for on a Mastercard THAT IS NOT EVEN MINE. I kinda thought it might default to my Sapphire Reserve Visa that is tied to this UR account, but instead it's this MC I have no idea about. Maybe it's Expedia's 'Master' Mastercard account that handles all their buys from United? Did yours turn out to be a MC? I could message you the last four digits here if you want to compare.

So...on the one hand, as the ticket was paid for with $, I am getting United miles and PQD for this trip (!) but it's a 'G' 'deep discount' fare, that means it's regular economy, not basic, though down at #23 on the 'pecking order' according to https://cwsi.net/united.htm.

So though no seat was assigned, I was able to choose one myself.

And though the 'fare rules' say that the first checked bag is $30, when I scroll down on my itinerary, what I see is similar to what you did:

So it looks like I am getting the perks of the Explorer card anyway!
I'm surprised it's giving you your first bag for free, but that's good news! Your G fare is just a standard regular economy fare, so just regular economy. Yeah I'm not really surprised about the credit card thing. The UR portal just bills your CC for the cash portion, pays for the whole thing on their card, and then it all gets settled in the back end hidden from the consumer's view.

Enjoy your trip!
chicagoal likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:12 am

The unknown credit card thing is normal. I booked a lot of UR travel and it is kind of a hassle when you need to do a refund directly with the airline. I have do a bunch of those when immediate family member got seriously ill. The tickets are non-refundable on UR travel, but if I contact airlines directly, they will refund the tickets.. most airlines will do that. But they refund it back to the UR portal credit card (Connexion or Expedia), and now you have to contact UR portal to let them know what you did and they will have to issue your points back to your UR account.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Doubt anyone will check in on this thread again, but in case so: Crazy Canuck above was right, I did have to pay $30 for my checked bag on that flight to SJO. Priority boarding and seat selection were fine, but as I had not paid for the ticket with the United-linked card (or United points), the free checked bag didn't apply.

I may see if I can argue the point with United as the reservation clearly shows it as $0 but I'm not optimistic they'll go for that. I did the return flight with United miles so the bag was free on that leg.

Last edited by chicagoal; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.