Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a Negative Balance of URs Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I have a Discover Card. It lists my FICO as 816. But it says, "Your FICOŽ Score 8 based on TransUnionŽ data." Thus, not Experian?
When I wrote my credit score piece, Discover Scorecard used Experian. Perhaps they've changed or perhaps ScoreCard is different than cardholders. I will do more research and update my post. Thanks for this!
Originally Posted by RNE
The statement balance will be paid in full tomorrow (Nov 1). There will still be a small balance on the account from ongoing transactions posting after the statement closed, of course.
In this case, your score should recover after your next statement posts with the updated balance.

PointsYak, wishing you and MrsRNE a very Happy Anniversary!
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:44 am
RNE
Original Poster

The large purchase arrived with time to spare! ^

Here's a picture of one-half of it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Now, you can earn even more points if your homeowners insurance company accepts payment by card .
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:53 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Now, you can earn even more points if your homeowners insurance company accepts payment by card .
I wish!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
...date (Nov 9). ....
Happy Anniversary.
RNE and pallhedge like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:12 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
That 5-figure closing balance on my CFU statement had a "slight" effect on my TransUnion credit score. Dropped it 60 points! I'm down to 759 for crying out loud! Paying it off didn't seem to help... yet.
The November statement on my CFU closed yesterday with a typical balance of $987.50 (on a CL of $24,000). October's statement (the one that had that 5-figure balance) was paid in full on Nov 2. Nevertheless, as of today, Credit Karma insist I'm using 74% of my CL on that card. And 16% of my CL across all credit cards. Accordingly, TransUnion rates me as only "good" with a score of 747. Equifax is more generous, giving me an "excellent" score of 761. Both, below my longstanding 800+ scores. (I haven't missed a payment in some 40 years.)

RNE, not concerned, merely amused at how negative events seem to have immediate effect (not necessarily after a statement's monthly closing) whereas ameliorating ones don't.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Nevertheless, as of today, Credit Karma insist I'm using 74% of my CL on that card.
Actually, Credit Karma insists that you were using 74% of your CL on that card on the day that they pulled your data. There is some expected time lag between statement closing, bank reporting to CRAs, and CK pulling the updated report.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Chase reports intra-month to all 3 CRAs if you pay your balance down to $0.
So if you have large purchases during the cycle but do not pay it down to zero at closing, still have some amount left at closing, then Chase reports the closing balance instead?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Happy
So if you have large purchases during the cycle but do not pay it down to zero at closing, still have some amount left at closing, then Chase reports the closing balance instead?
Yes. This is regular way for me. By the time I pay my statement balance on the due date, I have many current charges that won't be due until the next statement due date.

Chase reports your statement closing balance each month. In addition to that, if at any time you pay your current balance down to $0, Chase will report this as a "paid tradeline" to the CRAs.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Yes. This is regular way for me. By the time I pay my statement balance on the due date, I have many current charges that won't be due until the next statement due date.

Chase reports your statement closing balance each month. In addition to that, if at any time you pay your current balance down to $0, Chase will report this as a "paid tradeline" to the CRAs.
Ah, got that. I hardly pay current balance down to $0 except before leaving on a long trip and it would be problematic to access Chase site. (or banks sites due to the security measures banks have imposed, and the stupid Chase mobile site restrictions - my iPad cannot see any details when the personal site was enhanced. Had all personal cards moved to the business log in which now the business site is also enhanced - same outcome on my iPad as before, cannot see any detailed lines other than the summary of an account.)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:53 am
RNE
Original Poster

Credit Karma just notified me, "We have good news! Your TransUnion credit score went up."

Indeed, it did. Up 67 points to a more customary 814.

RNE, questioning if it's really useful to creditors to have a customer's score swing down and back up that much in that short a span: a month or so? After all, I have 40 years of perfect credit history (two credit card accounts that have been open for 3 decades!) and I'm debt free, except for routine credit card charges that are paid in full every month. Surely, an algorithm can be made to reason thusly: Hey, RNE just made a large purchase, but he's always paid his debts so I'm not going to fly off the handle and push his score down from 'excellent' to 'good' simply because of that blip. Instead, I'll wait a month and see if this handsome guy pays it off (as I know he always has) and only have a cow if that payoff doesn't happen.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Credit Karma...if it's really useful to creditors to have a customer's score swing down and back up that much in that short a span: a month or so?
Of course it's not useful, especially since the big banks don't use VantageScores to make credit decisions. You should ignore these scores as well.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:33 am

I got a ---Minus 12,000 points on my Chase Sapphire Reserve card

I bought tickets to travel...and everything ended up being cancelled and got my credit card charges reversed.
Now I got a minus 12K to the card. How long will Chase keep that miles reversal balance ?
I have other Chase/United cards that I can use. Any help will be appreciated.
Keller281

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2020 at 12:09 pm Reason: moved to Chase forum
Old Dec 15, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
What happened to the original UR points you earned when you bought the cancelled ticket? If you used those points or transferred those points out, that is the reason you have negative points. You owe Chase those points.

Chase does not give miles, only UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.