Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What are your Ultimate Rewards points worth to you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your Ultimate Rewards points worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
True, but you need to look at the amount of spending required to generate 60,000 points in each program. Chase provides more opportunities to earn 3 or 5 points per dollar; the calculation depends on the specific cards you hold in each program and your spending pattern.
I dissagree a little bit. Amex has also many cards that offer category bonuses and amex offers with MR are the easiest way to get bonus points. Also, amex retention offers are usually an easy way to get a lot of points every year. Chase almost never gives retention bonuses.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
That said, Hyatt is by far the best transfer partner for “normal” people of any of the transferable programs. You can almost always get 2cpp and pretty easy to get up to 4cpp for a redemption, and you can always earn at least 1.5 UR per $1 spent, so we’re looking at 3% to 20% return on spend with a Freedom Unlimited 1.5 UR/$ or Freedom/Ink Cash 5 UR/$.
So used to looking at SPG that I've been ignoring other properties. Need to keep Hyatt in mind!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I dissagree a little bit. Amex has also many cards that offer category bonuses and amex offers with MR are the easiest way to get bonus points. Also, amex retention offers are usually an easy way to get a lot of points every year. Chase almost never gives retention bonuses.
With Amex BBP and the leaked PRG 4x categories, the points earning pendulum is definitely swinging away from Chase towards Amex.

For me personally, 2 things still make it easier to earn Chase UR: my monthly health insurance premium is my largest fixed expense and doesn't take Amex; and I earn a good amount of Chase referral bonuses.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pallhedge
With Amex BBP and the leaked PRG 4x categories, the points earning pendulum is definitely swinging away from Chase towards Amex.

For me personally, 2 things still make it easier to earn Chase UR: my monthly health insurance premium is my largest fixed expense and doesn't take Amex; and I earn a good amount of Chase referral bonuses.
yeah, its horrible. Health insurance takes a huge chunck of my money every month too and they dont take amex either but guess what? I got an email this morning that starting Jan 1st 2019 they will no longer accept any credit card. Only ACH....
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:18 pm

I tend to dislike Avios as I don't live in an AA hub, but Avios has some magic what would make me use them a lot more if I lived in DFW or LAX. Avios bookings are fully refundable with the penalty being just the taxes paid. So, I booked DFW-YYZ recently in business class for 20,000 Avios and $5.60. That is fully refundable (minus the $5.60). The same flight on AA is 30,000 AA miles and $5.60. The fee to refund is $100+.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
yeah, its horrible. Health insurance takes a huge chunck of my money every month too and they dont take amex either but guess what? I got an email this morning that starting Jan 1st 2019 they will no longer accept any credit card. Only ACH....
My previous health insurance company only takes ACH and would charge $5 if paid by check. Never takes credit card.

Florida Power and Light also only takes ACH or check. You can pay with CC at Western Union, with a Fee...
So the high AC bills 6 months a year are very irritating.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaw753
I tend to dislike Avios as I don't live in an AA hub, but Avios has some magic what would make me use them a lot more if I lived in DFW or LAX. Avios bookings are fully refundable with the penalty being just the taxes paid. So, I booked DFW-YYZ recently in business class for 20,000 Avios and $5.60. That is fully refundable (minus the $5.60). The same flight on AA is 30,000 AA miles and $5.60. The fee to refund is $100+.
Just booked MIA-JFK at 7.5K $5.60 when AA wants 12.5K $5.60.
I often use Avios as a back up because for domestic flights the cost to cancel is very very reasonable.
roundtree likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
DW and I spend most of our UR points through the travel portal for 1.5cpp, buying revenue airline tickets. We accrue airline miles that way and keep all elite benefits. But we always compare prices before buying. In the past we've seen rates offered through the travel portal that are noticeably higher than the equivalent booking we could make directly with the airline, hotel, or car rental agency. Paying inflated prices eats into the 1.5x advantage of using the travel portal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.