Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chase-is-now-offering-points-on-a-checking-account-but-theres-a-big-catch-2018-09-14

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/news/companies/chase-sapphire-banking/index.html

April 2019: sweetened offer requires 45 days to earn points plus 45 additional days to hold money in account:

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR

Online application

Customers must make at least $75,000 in new deposits, or in investments, to qualify. Those investments must be kept at Chase and cannot be retirement investments. If customers meet those requirements, they will also get access to a new digital investment platform called YouInvest by JPMorgan, which gives commission-free stock and ETF trades with $0 account minimums.
  • You need a Sapphire or Freedom credit card to be eligible
  • You need to hit the minimum balance within 45 days and maintain it for 90 days
  • You need to leave the money in the account for 6 months
  • Offer extended to March 5 2019
  • As of 4/22/19, Chase.com had an expiration date of 6/15/19 and 90 days duration for the 60,000 UR promotion. https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR
Customers who maintain $75,000 in qualifying deposits or investments receive:
  • No fees on ATMs worldwide, including refunds on fees charged by non-Chase ATM owners
  • No fees on everyday banking, including foreign exchange fees, outgoing wire transfers and stop payments
  • Higher ATM withdrawal limits
  • Commission-free stock and ETF trades (new You Invest platform)
Accounts that do not maintain a $75,000 average balance incur a $25 monthly fee.
Print Wikipost

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Does Chase have decent savings/CD options? Right now I use Schwab for brokerage and online banks for savings - combining them could work for this account, but I would need to replicate the savings/CD rates at Chase.
No - Chase has to operate 5,000+ branches, their rates will always be worse. Closest you can get is a MM fund in the brokerage but it won't be FDIC.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Anyone got the bonus yet? I am still waiting for mine despite having the account and funded for more than 90 days.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
....still waiting for mine despite having the account and funded for more than 90 days.
My reading of THIS post is that Chase will deposit the points within 45 days after you satisfy the 90 day requirement. The points are deposited into a specific card account, so I would expect them to post on that card's billing date during that 45 day window.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by neuro0
Anyone got the bonus yet? I am still waiting for mine despite having the account and funded for more than 90 days.
This offer came about early October. It is going to be a long way to wait for 90 + 45 days.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by scubadu
In reviewing the above URL it mostly looks to me that for your deposit they'd like to provide you a dedicated team to help you take out loans with them (e.g. car loans, home loans, etc)

If anyone that has any substantial level of wealth at Chase rather than at a more traditional brokerage (e.g. Fidelity, Schwab) I'd certainly be curious to hear the reasoning.

Regards
Sapphire banking is still a new offering. I figure CPC may get some changes coming too. It is subject to the customers to decide if the extra benefits are worth extra money parked at Chase. But if you are wealthy, what the extra $$ costs?

Tell me what extra benefits you get from traditional brokers (Fidelity, Schwab)? You get 1.5% on the money market account?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by mia
My reading of THIS post is that Chase will deposit the points within 45 days after you satisfy the 90 day requirement. The points are deposited into a specific card account, so I would expect them to post on that card's billing date during that 45 day window.
Agree.
1. First transfer $75,000 within 45 days.
2. if balance average is under $75,000 for the month there will be a $25.00 service charge
3. Once $75k is maintained for 90 days the points will be deposited in CC account

Thus 90 days of a full $75k is in account then the delta($75k balance) plus to get 60k UR points..

Last edited by euromannn; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by euromannn
Chase confirms the 60K points = $60 in cash value which is what will be reported on a 1099-INT.
I was told it would be $750. This is consistent with the sign up offer where you can choose either 60K points or $750.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was told it would be $750. This is consistent with the sign up offer where you can choose either 60K points or $750.
Hi,

May I ask who told you the 1099 value would be $750? Also, I am not seeing the sign up offer give a choice between 60K points or $750? Do you have a link for that?

thanks
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Hi,
May I ask who told you the 1099 value would be $750?
Chase banker

Also, I am not seeing the sign up offer give a choice between 60K points or $750? Do you have a link for that?
I was shown it on the screen. I had to sign as to which I wanted to take. Various bloggers have mentioned the offer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targe...upgrade-offer/
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:44 pm

Anyone sign up for this with a Freedom card? T&Cs mention Sapphire or Freedom card qualifies.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Chase banker

I was shown it on the screen. I had to sign as to which I wanted to take. Various bloggers have mentioned the offer.

Did you take the $750 vs points? I would take $750.
Is the Cash option still available with the banker?
Did you move into YouInvest and into a Vanguard 2.3% fun for 90 days?
1099-INT of $750 on 25% tax bracket means you lose $187.50 paying taxes.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:06 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Chase banker

Per TPG

Sapphire banking customers will be issued a 1099-INT form for their bonus points. Chase values the points at 1 cent each, so customers will owe taxes on the $600 value of the bonus.

I opened mine online and was not given a choice of cash unless I missed it. I know that a few years ago Chase issued a 1099 for the $300 I received for opening an account with them.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
Per TPG

Sapphire banking customers will be issued a 1099-INT form for their bonus points. Chase values the points at 1 cent each, so customers will owe taxes on the $600 value of the bonus.....
LINK: https://thepointsguy.com/news/faqs-c...phire-banking/

This information is in the blog article, and seems plausible, but no source is mentioned.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by blargle
Anyone sign up for this with a Freedom card? T&Cs mention Sapphire or Freedom card qualifies.
Yes, I had CF and CFU and signed up. Actually I have had the $75k in the account since 10/26 which has been more than 90 days and maintained the $75k balance but I have not received any points. Going to call Chase today.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Just realized it hasn't been 90 days almost though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.