Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chase-is-now-offering-points-on-a-checking-account-but-theres-a-big-catch-2018-09-14

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/news/companies/chase-sapphire-banking/index.html

April 2019: sweetened offer requires 45 days to earn points plus 45 additional days to hold money in account:

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR

Online application

Customers must make at least $75,000 in new deposits, or in investments, to qualify. Those investments must be kept at Chase and cannot be retirement investments. If customers meet those requirements, they will also get access to a new digital investment platform called YouInvest by JPMorgan, which gives commission-free stock and ETF trades with $0 account minimums.
  • You need a Sapphire or Freedom credit card to be eligible
  • You need to hit the minimum balance within 45 days and maintain it for 90 days
  • You need to leave the money in the account for 6 months
  • Offer extended to March 5 2019
  • As of 4/22/19, Chase.com had an expiration date of 6/15/19 and 90 days duration for the 60,000 UR promotion. https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/banking/online/sapphireUR
Customers who maintain $75,000 in qualifying deposits or investments receive:
  • No fees on ATMs worldwide, including refunds on fees charged by non-Chase ATM owners
  • No fees on everyday banking, including foreign exchange fees, outgoing wire transfers and stop payments
  • Higher ATM withdrawal limits
  • Commission-free stock and ETF trades (new You Invest platform)
Accounts that do not maintain a $75,000 average balance incur a $25 monthly fee.
Print Wikipost

JPMorgan offers 60,000 points to sign up for its new Sapphire bank account

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This tax discussions is really a distraction here. If you get tax question, ask an accountant.

The tax related to credit card rewards is not entirely clear. The CC banks just want to cover themselves to be in compliance. This is the least they want to spend resources on. They would not care if that $300 is called interest income, or something else. I do not care if that $300 comes from CSR or comes from Ritz Carlton card. It does not make a dent in my wallet.

Please discussion credit card related tax issues here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...l#post30204855
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Originally Posted by RedSun
This tax discussions is really a distraction....
The topic of taxable rewards for bank accounts is well understood. It is an important consideration to some people in evaluating an offer. I accept that it is not important to you, but it will still be discussed.

See this thread for years of evidence:

[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

It is also well established that credit card rewards are not taxed in the USA, because they represent a partial rebate of the amount spent. If Chase sent you a 1099 for a partial refund of your annual fee that would be an important policy change -or- a mistake. However, if you are unwilling to even look at the 1099 to identify the account that Chase referenced, there cannot be a discussion.

One circumstance that has caught some people out is that credit card referral bonuses are taxable. I will try to find a link to a discussion.

Last edited by mia; Sep 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm Reason: Add referral bonus information.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The topic of taxable rewards for bank accounts is well understood. It is an important consideration to some people in evaluating an offer. I accept that it is not important to you, but it will still be discussed.

See this thread for years of evidence:

[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

It is also well established that credit card rewards are not taxed in the USA, because they represent a partial rebate of the amount spent. If Chase sent you a 1099 for a partial refund of your annual fee that would be an important policy change -or- a mistake. However, if you are unwilling to even look at the 1099 to identify the account that Chase referenced, there cannot be a discussion.
It is fine. We move on.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm Reason: removed unhelpful comment-
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

FYI - Chase tells you off the bat where the taxable bonus is coming from because they list the account number on the 1099.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
This suggests that RedSun should be able to identify the account that earned the bonus by looking at the 1099?
Should be able to. I can't speak to the 1099 that RedSun received, but mine looks the same as the one that samwise posted. As I have multiple Chase accounts I get a consolidated 1099 and this is my most recent one. There is nothing to reflect any credit card bonus/redemption/etc. activity.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:30 pm
Suspended

I think that $300 comes from the cash bonus for opening the checking account. But no account # since there was no interest paid.

I got $300 from CSR and $300 from RC CCs. A bunch of $300. That was the only thing paid on tax.... Nothing from CCs then.

Anyhow, this is still a good opportunity to get some URs to stock up....
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:50 pm

I’m surprised at the debate about this. FTers are generally so good about understanding rules. As a few have noted, the tax treatment is not hard or unknown. Credit card points awarded based on spending, whether an initial bonus, or just regular point accrual, are considered purchase price rebate, i.e, a price discount, and thus not taxable bc it doesn’t represent income. On the other hand, amounts offered for signing up for a bank account are treated as interest income. That makes sense, bc you haven’t bought anything to offer a discount or rebate on; rather, you’re being paid (in points rather than money) for giving the bank the use of your money, which is exactly what interest is in the first place.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:42 am

Does IRA balance with YouInvest count towards 75K balance? Their small print does not mention IRA specifically, so I was wondering...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xbohdpukc
Does IRA balance with YouInvest count towards 75K balance? Their small print does not mention IRA specifically, so I was wondering...
IRA is part of the brokerage account, taxable, IRA and trust. Excluding employer sponsored retirement, such as 401K etc. HSA is also not included. Business account is not part of this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
This account is a no-brainer, even for those who don't have $75k to stash in the checking/investment account.

Just think about it.... You have $10,000 in the account to invest. You get free checks, unlimited free trades (to profit from in the stock market), waived overdrafts, free wire transfers, no FTF's on your debit card, zero non-Chase ATM fees, unlimited ATM reimbursements, etc., all for $25 a month.

My current direct deposit is to Charles Schwab, but my overall profit gain is better with the Sapphire Checking account - especially because I trade frequently and keep stocks short term to profit.
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
It's interesting, and if I can move my Roth IRA over for a few months then maybe I'll do it for the bonus, but so far I haven't seen anything that would seriously tempt me away from Schwab for checking and Vanguard for investing. But then, I haven't traded an individual share in years so I may just not be the target market here.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
This account is a no-brainer, even for those who don't have $75k to stash in the checking/investment account.

Just think about it.... You have $10,000 in the account to invest. You get free checks, unlimited free trades (to profit from in the stock market), waived overdrafts, free wire transfers, no FTF's on your debit card, zero non-Chase ATM fees, unlimited ATM reimbursements, etc., all for $25 a month.

My current direct deposit is to Charles Schwab, but my overall profit gain is better with the Sapphire Checking account - especially because I trade frequently and keep stocks short term to profit.
I just wonder why people do not like free stuff, but continue to pay Fidelity, E*Trade and Schwabs to trade? Even if $5 or $7. It still costs $$. The brokers can never compete with the large banks since they have to earn trading commissions, not like banks that make more $$ from your deposit.

If Fidelity or Schwabs ever offer free trades (even 100/year), I'd stay with them. But they only do that for the promotion.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by txflyer77
It's interesting, and if I can move my Roth IRA over for a few months then maybe I'll do it for the bonus, but so far I haven't seen anything that would seriously tempt me away from Schwab for checking and Vanguard for investing. But then, I haven't traded an individual share in years so I may just not be the target market here.
What do Vanguard and Schwab offer that Chase can't do? Free ETFs?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
What do Vanguard and Schwab offer that Chase can't do? Free ETFs?
In Vanguard's case, a corporate structure better aligned with their customers' interests than that of most other firms. Vanguard has no shareholders—it is owned by its customers. I trust them far more than I trust Chase.

This is clear in their fee structures: I've never paid much attention to JP Morgan's mutual funds, but a quick glance shows fees commonly above 0.75% or even 1%, whereas Vanguard's equivalent funds charge less than 0.05%.

And yes, free ETF trades when trading their house ETFs. Same as most fund providers.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

In Vanguard's case, a corporate structure better aligned with their customers' interests than that of most other firms. Vanguard has no shareholders—it is owned by its customers. I trust them far more than I trust Chase.

This is clear in their fee structures: I've never paid much attention to JP Morgan's mutual funds, but a quick glance shows fees commonly above 0.75% or even 1%, whereas Vanguard's equivalent funds charge less than 0.05%.

And yes, free ETF trades when trading their house ETFs. Same as most fund providers.
I think you are perfectly correct with your assessment. You have not traded a single stock over years. Chase investment is a brokerage. You benefit by trading stocks (or ETFs). If you only do mutual funds, them better stay with a mutual fund company, like Vanguard or Fidelity. In general, the ETFs have lower fees than mutual funds. I do not want to start a discussion of investment products...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.