Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you have a Sam's Club membership, it may be one of the more lucrative ways to get this quarter done since you can stack the 5x UR with 5% via Dosh, and 5% with Uber Visa Local offers (at least where I am).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Walmart doesn't charge 1-1.5% on their website...they charge 3.44% on the $200 cards. So $1500 will cost you $51.60 for 7,500 points. I rather do organic spend or no fee gift cards.
Of course that won't work. But the fee is about $5 to $6 and it is about 1.2% $ fee. We earning 5x UR points. Certainly work for a lot people if you do it right.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:40 pm

Looks like ChasePay using Samsung pay at any stores code as Chase Pay!

5x Freedom anywhere u can use Samsung Pay!!!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
Looks like ChasePay using Samsung pay at any stores code as Chase Pay!

5x Freedom anywhere u can use Samsung Pay!!!

This is how Samsung chase
pay should look like?

Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
On 10/1 I made a transaction where I opened Chase Pay, chose the Freedom card, and clicked the Samsung Pay option. The transaction processed normally, but today it posted as 1x points only. I am sure others will try, but for me this did not work to trigger the 5x bonus category.

And two data points for issues that already seem settled in prior posts: Costco Gas purchase on 9/30 did yield 5x, and a Costco Gas purchase on 10/1 got 1x.
CPay->SamPay transaction worked fine for me -- I did delete my card from SamPay and linked it again using CPay a few weeks back when the feature came out

$5.77 Sale
Description JEWEL-OSCO
Transaction date Oct 1, 2018
Posted date Oct 3, 2018
Method In person
Category Groceries

Rewards earned with this transaction
+ Bonus from 4Q 5% category: Chase Pay 23.08
+ 1% (1 Pt)/$1 earned on all purchases 5.77
Total points 28.85
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

But one thing. Samsung Pay can be used offline. But Chase Pay can't be used offline. So this Chase Pay + Samsung Pay can't be used offline. If that makes any difference.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rasheed
I just did my first digital wallet transaction for the quarter via the long method (Chase Pay to Pay to Samsung Pay to PIN to NFC). The instant notification on the completed transaction amount was from Samsung Pay, but when I open the Chase Pay app, it shows the transaction as Pending - Chase Pay. That has to be good news so far. The website and regular Chase Pay app has no detail of that sort (just the usual pending with no click detail). If it doesn't post as 5x, I will definitely seek retro credit for these types of transactions.
So I sent a secure message to Chase regarding the Chase Pay to Samsung Pay transaction not posting as 5x. I got the following response: “for you to receive 5.00% for a Chase Pay transactions you cannot Pay with Samsung Pay within the Chase Pay app. The transaction needs to be made only with Chase Pay.”

On Doctor of Credit they say that "the fine print specifically states purchases through Samsung Pay when linked qualify for 5% as well." I could not find this statement--anyone have a link to this?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
But one thing. Samsung Pay can be used offline. But Chase Pay can't be used offline. So this Chase Pay + Samsung Pay can't be used offline. If that makes any difference.
I'll try an offline test and report back when it posts

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
So I sent a secure message to Chase regarding the Chase Pay to Samsung Pay transaction not posting as 5x. I got the following response: “for you to receive 5.00% for a Chase Pay transactions you cannot Pay with Samsung Pay within the Chase Pay app. The transaction needs to be made only with Chase Pay.”

On Doctor of Credit they say that "the fine print specifically states purchases through Samsung Pay when linked qualify for 5% as well." I could not find this statement--anyone have a link to this?
Seems like there is a lot of confusion, even with the CSRs, about what iteration of Samsung/Chase pay will result in the 5%
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger

Seems like there is a lot of confusion, even with the CSRs, about what iteration of Samsung/Chase pay will result in the 5%
You'll just have to test on your own.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

GCs at Best Buy and Dept Stores?

Anyone having luck finding useful GCs at Best Buy and Department Stores?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
That'd heavily depend on what you personally find useful... My local Best Buy apparently hasn't carried Amazon GC for a few years (although BB in another state does) and said that VGCs might still be stocked occasionally.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I bought an Amazon GC the other day at BB because I was in the area and needed one as a gift. I may get some BB GC as Christmas gifts in December. But useful is dependent on the person.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger

i know someone who tried it through samsung pay only, who only earned 1x. but to my discredit, im not sure if he did it correctly or not. (ie adding the cards via chase pay vs adding it straight into samsung pay)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mroseman13
That'd heavily depend on what you personally find useful... My local Best Buy apparently hasn't carried Amazon GC for a few years (although BB in another state does) and said that VGCs might still be stocked occasionally.
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I bought an Amazon GC the other day at BB because I was in the area and needed one as a gift. I may get some BB GC as Christmas gifts in December. But useful is dependent on the person.
Amazon or eBay GC would help to max the Citi Dividend CC. I'm going to save Freedom for the Chase Pay. It is far more flexible.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:24 pm

In the offers below, does anyone know if the $50 purchase to earn the first bonus ALSO counts as one of your five purchases to earn the second bonus? Or do you need to make five separate transactions - six total - using your Reserve and Chase Pay to earn all 2,500 points?

Use Chase Pay® with your Chase Sapphire Reserve® card and make a minimum purchase of $501 Footnote at ShopRite® stores or ShopRite.com from 10/1/18-10/31/18 to receive 1,000 Ultimate Rewards® points.

You can earn 1,500 Ultimate Rewards points when you use Chase Pay with your Chase Sapphire Reserve card five times (minimum purchase of $25 each use) at ShopRite or any other participating retailer this quarter.2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.