Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
On 10/1 I made a transaction where I opened Chase Pay, chose the Freedom card, and clicked the Samsung Pay option. The transaction processed normally, but today it posted as 1x points only. I am sure others will try, but for me this did not work to trigger the 5x bonus category.

And two data points for issues that already seem settled in prior posts: Costco Gas purchase on 9/30 did yield 5x, and a Costco Gas purchase on 10/1 got 1x.
I had the opposite experience. I opened Samsung Pay directly (after linking to Chase Pay) and used it for a small test purchase on 10/1, today it posted with 5x.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Man, this Chase/Samsung Pay thing is going to be confusing for at least a few days to see how to trigger the 5%.

I can also confirm that if you don't open Chase Pay first (which appears to have not worked for at least one person), but go straight to Samsung Pay, the Chase Pay logo is now already co-listed with the Chase cards. However, this does seem to indicate that you have already activated Chase Pay for your card portfolio.

Further, I got the targeted use Chase Pay with Samsung Pay (via the longer Chase Pay > Pay > Samsung Pay) for $25 promotion which seems to require the longer method so I will need to use that for my own efforts over the next two weeks.

A reddit person has said the longer method did work for a NFC at a vending machine transaction in the past day to trigger the 4x bonus.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:18 am

Chase Pay didnt go through at my Wal Mart

I went to WalMart on 10/1 and tried to by their VGC with Chase Pay. I have an iPhone and I had my chase pay loaded up but they said the QR code wasn't going through. They later informed me that the Chase Pay option "wasn't up and running yet".

Am I doing something wrong here?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jedaero
I went to WalMart on 10/1 and tried to by their VGC with Chase Pay. I have an iPhone and I had my chase pay loaded up but they said the QR code wasn't going through. They later informed me that the Chase Pay option "wasn't up and running yet".

Am I doing something wrong here?
To use Chase Pay, you have to activate Chase Pay within "Walmart Pay". Only Walmart Pay can scan its own QR code on the payment terminal.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RedSun
To use Chase Pay, you have to activate Chase Pay within "Walmart Pay". Only Walmart Pay can scan its own QR code on the payment terminal.
Which doesn't work on iPhones.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:54 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
You can also try to purchase online. I bought an Uber GC last night with Chase Pay on walmart.com to meet another bonus point offer.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:04 am

so no dice with walmart pay with my iphone. sucks to my ...-mar

any other way to get vgc this quarter?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by jedaero
so no dice with walmart pay with my iphone. sucks to my ...-mar

any other way to get vgc this quarter?
Buy it through Walmart.com and just select Chase Pay on checkout. Personally I don't think the fee is worth it unless you're trying to meet a sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
I had the opposite experience. I opened Samsung Pay directly (after linking to Chase Pay) and used it for a small test purchase on 10/1, today it posted with 5x.
Hmm, I guess I will try just going through Samsung Pay next time to test it out. It does show the Chase Pay icon when i open it in Samsung Pay.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Bonus points for Costco.com purchase on October 1 didn't show up for me...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Which doesn't work on iPhones.
This is correct. Chase Pay is missing in Walmart Pay. I bought a Galaxy phone for this purpose.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Buy it through Walmart.com and just select Chase Pay on checkout. Personally I don't think the fee is worth it unless you're trying to meet a sign-up bonus.
The VGC fee is about 1.2 to 1.5% $. Why this is not worth it? Explain?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Because organic spend cost is 0%.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:22 pm

Walmart doesn't charge 1-1.5% on their website...they charge 3.44% on the $200 cards. So $1500 will cost you $51.60 for 7,500 points. I rather do organic spend or no fee gift cards.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by jep8821
Bonus points for Costco.com purchase on October 1 didn't show up for me...
This is a definite call or secure message situation to request the bonus credit manually because the list of 5% merchants for the quarter includes the website. I know that costco.com is an entirely different category than the club stores. I am sure if your transaction failed, all other Chase Freedom customers also failed.

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
Hmm, I guess I will try just going through Samsung Pay next time to test it out. It does show the Chase Pay icon when i open it in Samsung Pay.
I just did my first digital wallet transaction for the quarter via the long method (Chase Pay to Pay to Samsung Pay to PIN to NFC). The instant notification on the completed transaction amount was from Samsung Pay, but when I open the Chase Pay app, it shows the transaction as Pending - Chase Pay. That has to be good news so far. The website and regular Chase Pay app has no detail of that sort (just the usual pending with no click detail). If it doesn't post as 5x, I will definitely seek retro credit for these types of transactions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.