Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
I appreciate the suggestions. I'm more likely to put the card away for a quarter than to buy GCs for now. And good point re: closing the card, my thinking was more motivated by reaching 5/24 and wanting some wiggle room.
Closing an existing card won't help you with the 5/24. If there is no cost to you, just keep the card open and you learn how to use it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Purchases at Costco in October coded as 5x. Purchases at Costco gas did not.
But I suspect if you purchase a Costco Cash Card it would be coded as 5x. Said Cash Card can be used at Costco gas station I believe. Just need an extra step.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
Yes, that's exactly the thing, I just haven't figured out how to be creative (without doing GCs). What are your top two tips for a non-MS person like me?
Are there really no items you could conceivably buy at department stores over the next couple of months? For instance, Macy's sells all kinds of stuff, and you can buy it online via Chase's shopping portal. That gets you even more points per dollar - 5X for the category bonus plus I think 2x or 3x for starting at the Chase portal.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's not a coincidence that department stores are a fourth quarter category. Holiday shopping is when department stores do a disproportionate amount of their annual sales volume. Wide range of merchandise, liberal exchange policies, and broad geographic footprint makes them comfortable places to buy gifts for people when you do not really know what your sister-in-law likes.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
I had an issue using Walmart Pay with Chase Pay today. I went to the register and scanned the QR code like usual, the Walmart app said I was connected but the register did not acknowledge that I was. It wanted me to pay with a physical card.

So I decided to try a self check system as that is what I normally use. Again, it said I was connected on the app but not on the self check kiosk. It wanted me to pay with a physical card.

The managers didn't understand why it was working that way. I paid with the physical card so I probably won't get the bonus, though I didn't receive an alert on the app with my e-receipt so it was indeed communicating with the self check properly.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Noctilum
I had an issue using Walmart Pay with Chase Pay today. I went to the register and scanned the QR code like usual, the Walmart app said I was connected but the register did not acknowledge that I was. It wanted me to pay with a physical card.

So I decided to try a self check system as that is what I normally use. Again, it said I was connected on the app but not on the self check kiosk. It wanted me to pay with a physical card.

The managers didn't understand why it was working that way. I paid with the physical card so I probably won't get the bonus, though I didn't receive an alert on the app with my e-receipt so it was indeed communicating with the self check properly.
If you get Samsung device, you can scan Walmart QR code and use Walmart Pay with Chase Pay as your card. iPhone won't work.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RedSun
If you get Samsung device, you can scan Walmart QR code and use Walmart Pay with Chase Pay as your card. iPhone won't work.
Or, in that case, just use Samsung Pay and be done with it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:49 pm

I do not think Walmart takes any digital wallet other than Walmart Pay. No Apple Pay, no Samsung Pay. Only Walmart Pay. Inside Walmart Pay, you can set Chase Pay in the place of a CC.

samsung pay works at Walmart using MST
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briang191
samsung pay works at Walmart using MST
Yes I forget that. Samsung Pay can be used as any CC with magnetic strip....
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:10 pm

Yes I forget that. Samsung Pay can be used as any CC with magnetic strip....
i think chase pay + Samsung pay works at Walmart as well.
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
I use a OnePlus 5T. I have never had an issue using Walmart Pay with Chase Pay all year until yesterday. I will try a different Walmart just in case the store was having issues.

EDIT: Well, I tried a different Walmart and same issue. I don't think it has anything to do with Chase Pay though since the problem is occurring well before its time for payment to be made. I unlinked Chase Pay and reinstalled the Walmart app just in case. Still no go. None of the store associates knew what to do for me.

Last edited by Noctilum; Nov 11, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
If you have a Sam's Club membership, it may be one of the more lucrative ways to get this quarter done since you can stack the 5x UR with 5% via Dosh, and 5% with Uber Visa Local offers (at least where I am).
Did you actually receive DOSH when using Chase Pay via Samsung Pay?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:01 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
For anyone with multiple Freedom's do you think split payment would work on this?

https://www.costco.com/Wheels-Up-Mem...100454512.html

$3500 costco cash card and $5000 flight credit and 75000 UR points!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigshooter
For anyone with multiple Freedom's do you think split payment would work on this?

https://www.costco.com/Wheels-Up-Mem...100454512.html

$3500 costco cash card and $5000 flight credit and 75000 UR points!
You think someone can get 10 Freedom cards? Each card is only $1,500/quarter and it is 7,500 URs.

I do not think Costco allow you to pay with 10 cards, if you manage to get them.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I do not think Costco allow you to pay with 10 cards, if you manage to get them.
Use Costco cash cards. Much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.