Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I have a bad feeling that this will eventually apply to all Chase cards in the future.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...ry-workaround/

Last edited by mia; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:39 am Reason: Clean link
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
None of this is surprising. It's pretty clear that Chase intends for the welcome bonus to attract new users that will use their products. Even though all of the internet deal hunters feel entitled to churn whatever they want, that's not the case. These people just ruin it for everyone.

I'm glad I can sit here and earn big returns from my CSR, CF, and CIC while the whiners complain about unjustly being 5/24.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
None of this is surprising. It's pretty clear that Chase intends for the welcome bonus to attract new users that will use their products. Even though all of the internet deal hunters feel entitled to churn whatever they want, that's not the case. These people just ruin it for everyone.

I'm glad I can sit here and earn big returns from my CSR, CF, and CIC while the whiners complain about unjustly being 5/24.
IMO If Chase goes 48 months on all it's cards it's going to bring more and more people ( maybe even someone like myself who has never done MS) into the MS and 5x points hunting which will no doubt also bring new rules to that show.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Yikes! They are getting tough with the rules. The new Marriott/SPG sign up bonus rules were thorough and well thought out to weed out the bonus seekers.
With 48 months between, I only hope they implement an eligibility calendar like Amex did, because most people don't use the timeanddate counter like the people on the forums do.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There are still "24 month" links around. Not sure how long they will last.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyer4512
IMO If Chase goes 48 months on all it's cards it's going to bring more and more people ( maybe even someone like myself who has never done MS) into the MS and 5x points hunting which will no doubt also bring new rules to that show.
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic exactly. MS is getting people banned from using Chase products.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I'm not quite sure I follow your logic exactly. MS is getting people banned from using Chase products.
I understand completely. He's basically saying people will have nothing to lose by burning that bridge.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:44 am

This seems to be the direction Chase is going, especially with the increasing crackdowns on anything remotely looking like MS. This just further discourages heavy, or even moderate, churning by users.

The flip side is it may end up being more beneficial for users keeping their card(s) for longer periods of time. Either by less reduction in benefits than if they hadn't put these in place, or by an expansion of benefits/rewards. (OK, the second may be laughable, but still plausible no matter how slim of a chance.)

The direction it seems the major players are headed is to get people in the door and keep them there. So what was once a broad strategy across many programs and many facets therein, is now heading towards a scenario where you really, really need to focus on where you plan to use points (meaning through which partner, etc) and then concentrate on products to get the most points for that partner.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I phoned Chase this morning as I was planning to switch my CSP to Freedom, wait a week, and apply for the CSR card. Here's what the phone lady (who seemed sharp) told me.

• The new rule for 48 months between cards actually goes into effect in September, but she didn't know exactly when in September.
• The 48 months is from the date the cardholder was credited with the previous bonus, not from the previous card opening date.
• The new rule for changing over from CSP to CSR is: switch CSP to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (to keep Ultimate Rewards points) and then wait "2 full billing cycles or 46 days for the previous card to completely close out [huh?] to apply for the CSR card."
• Cardholder must have had a minimum of $10K credit on the CSP to be eligible to apply for the CSR.

These changes are disastrous for me, now I cannot apply for the CSR until July of next year. I have large expenses coming up in October and November (that I would've put on the new CSR card) plus a 5-weeks trip to Europe with many train tickets and 30+ days of hotel stays in May of 2019. Basically, the Chase "new rules" will cost me a roundtrip business class ticket for my next long trip in the near future, it will now take me additional years to earn enough points.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
This will be a huge letdown for my new strategy. I was planning on rotating through Chase co-branded cards getting a new signup bonus every 6 months for a different card then cancelling later, and by the time I came back around to the same card 24 months would have already passed so I could get the bonus again.

Looks like I will have to do the math and schedule my apps now if the co-branded cards move to 48 months, looks like I would still have the same strategy but instead getting a new card every 8-10 months or so.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
These features are standard:

• The 48 months is from the date the cardholder was credited with the previous bonus, not from the previous card opening date.
• Cardholder must have had a minimum of $10K credit on the CSP to be eligible to apply for the CSR.
...but this would be new:

• The new rule for changing over from CSP to CSR is: switch CSP to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (to keep Ultimate Rewards points) and then wait "2 full billing cycles or 46 days for the previous card to completely close out [huh?] to apply for the CSR card."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:57 am

So for someone that hasnt had the CSR before, should I go ahead and apply to get the 24 month language?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jsm172
So for someone that hasnt had the CSR before,....
Have you had Sapphire Preferred? If yes, when did you receive the new account bonus, and when did you close or downgrade?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you had Sapphire Preferred? If yes, when did you receive the new account bonus, and when did you close or downgrade?
No, I've only had the chase freedom. Neither the CSR or CSP yet
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jsm172
No, I've only had the chase freedom. Neither the CSR or CSP yet
It makes no difference whether you use a 24 month offer or a 48 month offer, because they refer to the time since your previous bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.