Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you apply, you will be denied the card. If you really want the card, you could always ask Chase to upgrade your Freedom back to a CSR.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Dianne47
The new rule for changing over from CSP to CSR is: switch CSP to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (to keep Ultimate Rewards points) and then wait "2 full billing cycles or 46 days for the previous card to completely close out [huh?] to apply for the CSR card."
Cardholder must have had a minimum of $10K credit on the CSP to be eligible to apply for the CSR.
So let's say the limit is $16K and your Chase limits-to-income ratio has been exhausted, how are the Freedom and Reserve adjusted to say $6K and $10K respectively?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:17 pm

if you apply and approved will you get the bonus?, unsure if family member had card within 24 mos (although it appears it's now 48 mos)?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bernyx
if you apply and approved will you get the bonus?, unsure if family member had card within 24 mos (although it appears it's now 48 mos)?
For Sapphire applications, if it's been <48 months since your last Sapphire signup bonus, you will not be approved for the card.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:54 pm

Determining Chase Sapphire Bonus Eligibility

As you may know, Chase increased the length of time that it takes to be re-eligible for a bonus (to 48 months) for a Sapphire Card:
This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months.
I'm looking to open a CSR. I was approved and opened a CSP on 11/01/2014 but have since closed the account according to my own records. I'm trying to determine my eligibility for the CSR bonus and despite a visit to the branch (they told me they've purged the card from their systems) and several phone calls, no one seems to be able to get their answer straight or have any records as to when I last received my CSP bonus. I know I'm at least within a month or two within the exact cut off because I did receive the bonus taking into account the amount of time it took me to reach the spending requirements when I had the CSP, but I want to apply for the card ASAP while technically meeting the requirements of the new card. It's also unclear to me the dates 48 months is calculated from/to (account opening of the CSR, the date I meet the spending requirements for the CSR).

They recommended that I write in to the Correspondence Team, but I'd rather not wait for this/waste my time and postage. Is there any way to determine this information easily? Or since they claim that they have purged the card from their system, am I good to go? It just frustrates me that they implemented this time restriction but when I try to get answers, no one seems to know at Chase.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nathanmock
As you may know, Chase increased the length of time that it takes to be re-eligible for a bonus (to 48 months) for a Sapphire Card:

I'm looking to open a CSR. I was approved and opened a CSP on 11/01/2014 but have since closed the account according to my own records. I'm trying to determine my eligibility for the CSR bonus and despite a visit to the branch (they told me they've purged the card from their systems) and several phone calls, no one seems to be able to get their answer straight or have any records as to when I last received my CSP bonus. I know I'm at least within a month or two within the exact cut off because I did receive the bonus taking into account the amount of time it took me to reach the spending requirements when I had the CSP, but I want to apply for the card ASAP while technically meeting the requirements of the new card. It's also unclear to me the dates 48 months is calculated from/to (account opening of the CSR, the date I meet the spending requirements for the CSR).

They recommended that I write in to the Correspondence Team, but I'd rather not wait for this/waste my time and postage. Is there any way to determine this information easily? Or since they claim that they have purged the card from their system, am I good to go? It just frustrates me that they implemented this time restriction but when I try to get answers, no one seems to know at Chase.
I've moved your post to the appropriate thread. Check out the posts & feedback here. You're probbaly going to have to wait til ~ Mar/Apr of next year since you took a long time to meet your min. spend. The 48 months is measured from the date you received your bonus pts. If you don't know that exact date you'll have to estimate.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 30, 2018 at 5:08 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I've moved your post to the appropriate thread. Check out the posts & feedback here. You're probbaly going to have to wait til ~ Mar/Apr of next year since you took a long time to meet your min. spend. The 48 months is measured from the date you received your bonus pts. If you don't know that exact date you'll have to estimate.
So there's no way to find out the exact date rather than go by an estimate? How about the to date--Is the 48 months date calculated to when I meet the minimum spend or when I open the account? I want to take advantage of the $300 annual travel credit for this year as well as next calendar year so I'm trying to get approved before the end of the year. If it's the former, maybe I can delay the spend for a bit.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:48 am

I just called into Chase and got some new information, albeit a bit contrary to what I believed or have read on their product page. The rep informed me that if I apply for the card and get approved, that means I will be eligible for the bonus. She also told me that the travel credit was based on calendar year (not anniversary year as listed on the product page) and that I would have to spend $300 in travel, and then the $300 would be reimbursed for purchases after that--something I have never heard before! Is there any truth to this or was the rep simply misinformed?

Last edited by nathanmock; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I just called into Chase and got some new information, albeit a bit contrary to what I believed or have read on their product page. The rep informed me that if I apply for the card and get approved, that means I will be eligible for the bonus. She also told me that the travel credit was based on calendar year (not anniversary year as listed on the product page) and that I would have to spend $300 in travel, and then the $300 would be reimbursed for purchases after that--something I have never heard before! Is there any truth to this or was the rep simply misinformed?
I would believe the data points here over what a CSR tells you. Part of what she said is true though: IF you are approved for the card you will get the bonus. Chase has been very consistent on that. If you don't mind a HP that leads to a rejection you may as well apply. Worst that can happen is they say NO and you've wasted a HP. Then wait til next Mar/Apr and apply again. Your call.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Chase will not approve you for a card unless you qualify for the bonus; therefore, if approved, you would receive the bonus after meeting MSR.

For cards issued prior to May 2017, the travel credit was based upon calendar year. For cards issued after that, the travel credit is based upon cardmember anniversary year.

The travel credit is a reimbursement in the form of a statement credit that is issued after you make qualifying travel purchases using the card as the method of payment.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:51 pm

When I asked about the travel credit, the first rep claimed that there was a $300 cliff of sorts...spend $300 in travel first before any reimbursements in travel are made. I asked her when this has been in effect since...she said since last year. I called another rep who said reimbursements in travel occur immediately. Who is right? Im apt to believe the later since Ive never hear of the first until she told me about it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:57 pm

When I asked about the travel credit, the first rep claimed that there was a $300 cliff of sorts...spend $300 in travel first before any reimbursements in travel are made. I asked her when this has been in effect since...she said since last year. I called another rep who said reimbursements in travel occur immediately. Who is right? Im apt to believe the later since Ive never hear of the first until she told me about it.
The travel credits post within a couple of days of the charges posting to your account. They post as they occur, not after you've met the $300 threshold.

(Is your computer equipped with "Google"?)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The travel credits post within a couple of days of the charges posting to your account. They post as they occur, not after you've met the $300 threshold.

Yes, as I had stated, this what was contrary to what I had believed all along which is why I was surprised the Chase folks can't get their facts straight.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:52 am

Yes, as I had stated, this what was contrary to what I had believed all along which is why I was surprised the Chase folks can't get their facts straight.
Seriously, if you want accurate answers to your questions, ask them here. Don't call Chase. It's a waste of your time as you can already see.

If you still have a Chase login for a bank account or another Chase credit card, you may still have your old closed CSP in the account somewhere. If so, you can look at old statements to find out the date that you received your signup bonus. As others have said, you will not be approved for a CSR until 48 months after that date.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Seriously, if you want accurate answers to your questions, ask them here. Don't call Chase. It's a waste of your time as you can already see.

If you still have a Chase login for a bank account or another Chase credit card, you may still have your old closed CSP in the account somewhere. If so, you can look at old statements to find out the date that you received your signup bonus. As others have said, you will not be approved for a CSR until 48 months after that date.
How do I go about checking my points history? I've visited the Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal but the card doesn't show any more for obvious reasons..is there a global log somewhere for points issued to my account in general?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.