Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The threshold for a Chase denial is having opened five or more credit card accounts *across all banks* in the last 24 months. Might that be the case? This includes be an authorized user on cards.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Lurkerdan
I just applied for the CSP and got denied, and I'm trying to figure out why. It's not because of 5/24 (I'm actually at 3/24). I was denied by them 2 1/2 years ago because of 5/24, could that be it? Have excellent credit overall, don't have any Chase cards, and never have received the CSP bonus. What other reasons could there be? Is there anything I can do?
Did you open and subsequently close the CSR, by chance? If so, you'd need to wait 48 months since you received that bonus to qualify for another new Sapphire card.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I had CSP few years back and then closed it. Not sure if I closed it during 2015 or 2016.
How can I find out when I closed that card and when I received the bonus? I don't have card anymore and credit history will only show last digits but not name of card, right?

Last edited by mia; Apr 30, 2019 at 6:12 pm Reason: Please do not post the same question in more than one thread.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by desikid
I had CSP few years back and then closed it. Not sure if I closed it during 2015 or 2016.
How can I find out when I closed that card and when I received the bonus? I don't have card anymore and credit history will only show last digits but not name of card, right?
Your credit report will tell you on what date the card was opened; add roughly 100 days or so to that date to approximate the date you received the bonus.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by desikid
Credit reports generally group closed accounts separately from open ones, so given it’s a Chase card and you know the approximate year, such a narrow search should yield few hits.

Last edited by mia; Apr 30, 2019 at 6:13 pm Reason: Remove reference to cross-post.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:43 am

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had a recent experience with closing CSP account and applying for CSR to be eligible for 50,000 sign-up bonus points. I didn't receive any bonus within the last 48 months and I canceled my CSP card two weeks ago. Would anyone know about the required minimum time before I can apply for CSR to receive the sign-up bonus? Thank you in advance for any insights.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by gripdr
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had a recent experience with closing CSP account and applying for CSR to be eligible for 50,000 sign-up bonus points. I didn't receive any bonus within the last 48 months and I canceled my CSP card two weeks ago. Would anyone know about the required minimum time before I can apply for CSR to receive the sign-up bonus? Thank you in advance for any insights.
You need to wait at least 30 days after cancelling CSP.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Shuffling my Chase cards around...good strategy for me?

Hello everyone - I am well under 5/24 and want to apply for the Sapphire Reserve for the bonus and ongoing travel benefits. I would plan to use this to essentially put all of my everyday spending for the near future. Would definitely use the travel credit each year to help offset the annual fee. Problem is, I am a current Sapphire Preferred holder (one of my oldest cards at ~10 years) and know you can't hold both at the same time. My spouse currently has the old Chase Ink business card that gives 5X on office supplies and we typically rack up points on that too and consolidate into my Ultimate Rewards account each month.

Would this strategy work for me with the intent of getting the Reserve?
  • First, I would transfer my pile of Ultimate Rewards points from my account to my wife's which is tied into her Ink Plus. This would be a sizable transfer as we are saving up for a big family European trip.
  • Next, I would call to downgrade my Preferred card to either the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited products to preserve my history and convert to no annual fee
  • Finally, I would apply for the Sapphire Reserve as a new card, obtain the bonus, and eventually transfer the UR points back from my wife's account to mine.
Solid plan of attack...or am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Sounds like a solid plan to me.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You don't even have to do step one, you can just downgrade your card, the URs stay with it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You don't even have to do step one, you can just downgrade your card, the URs stay with it.
OK, thanks. Wasn't sure about how the downgrade worked. I thought for some reason that the Freedom products did not allow for transfer between family members unless you had one of the Sapphire cards active. Guess I'm just a little apprehensive given the UR account balance I have on there right now. I appreciate the input.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
.... I thought for some reason that the Freedom products did not allow for transfer between family members unless you had one of the Sapphire cards active.
Transfer has a specific meaning at Chase. Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash cannot Transfer points to airline or hotel partners, but these cards can still Combine points with another member of the same household.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Also makes sense to go ahead and use the downgraded card alongside the CSR. It’s a little fiddlier but worth doing for the extra points.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Also makes sense to go ahead and use the downgraded card alongside the CSR. It’s a little fiddlier but worth doing for the extra points.
Yes, agree with that. You have a preference between these two Freedom ones?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Transfer has a specific meaning at Chase. Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash cannot Transfer points to airline or hotel partners, but these cards can still Combine points with another member of the same household.
Thank you for correcting my error. So long as I can combine with a spouse, I will skip step #1 above, and just do #2 and #3 as quickly as they will let me. Once I get my Reserve, I will transfer all of the available credit from the Freedom as my Preferred as a pretty healthy $65K limit today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.