Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking paid ticket (TLV-NYC-TLV) for my mom. Possible issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

I am debating if and how to book an international ticket (tiv-nyc-tlv with stop in EU ) for my mom.. Ticket will be booked for her to be flying by herself .

The if question - if there is an issue then will she have a problem dealing with it because she isn't the one who paid for the ticket or no such thing as long as her name is on the ticket ?

The how question - points wise I think my best course of action is either to book through delta using gift cards I buy with ink (5 points) or use my csr. Main reason to use csr is the protections and flights delay. Question is again.. Will those apply to her if she is flying by herself and she is not card holder?

Last edited by philemer; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:18 am Reason: fixed routing error
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One constant is that as the passenger, the ticket belongs to your mother. Who pays for the ticket and how are irrelevant. The ticket owner is and remains the passenger.

As to all of your other concerns, those will be dependent on the carrier, the protections she requires and your concerns. By way of example, when you say, "stop in the EU" do you mean a connection to change flights or do you mean a stopover to spend time at some particular city?

What carrier(s), what route and what concerns?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info often1.

Only a connection (albeit I did see good fares where you have an 8 hour connection - not sure if that matters for you answer)

Air France booking though Delta using Delta gift cards or directly from Air France using CSR. That will greatly depend if book using CSR will grant her any protections... Which I hope you know the answer for ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have seen a statement that the card used to purchase the ticket must be presented to pick up the ticket or boarding pass. Sorry I'm vague on the details; I mention it only so that someone more knowledgeable can address the issue.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:41 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by serpens
I have seen a statement that the card used to purchase the ticket must be presented to pick up the ticket or boarding pass. Sorry I'm vague on the details; I mention it only so that someone more knowledgeable can address the issue.
Some airlines impose this as a security measure in certain cases, but it will be disclosed during the booking process & there’s a procedure for providing third party authorization (typically providing ID and filling out a form either in person or via fax).
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:45 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
As long a some portion of the ticket is paid for with your CSR, your mother would be covered by the CSR’s trip cancellation and interruption insurance - but not the trip delay insurance.

Full terms here:
https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...9d9c3f0ff07c16
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonei

Some airlines impose this as a security measure in certain cases, but it will be disclosed during the booking process & there’s a procedure for providing third party authorization (typically providing ID and filling out a form either in person or via fax).

We'll that's spooky. How and who do I contact to verify? Might be a bit of a complex oversight... Buying ticket with gc on delta for an air France ticket which stops in Europe

On a different topic that was mentioned here - do if I book a flight with gc an a portion is with csr - if I fly I'll be getting full set of protections?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Practically speaking, your mother is on an aircraft operated by an EU carrier and then onwards on an EU carrier departing from the EU. While there may be minor vagaries, AF will have an obligation to rebook her in case of a misconnect, and also to take care of her hotel (if overnight) and meals (as appropriate). Similarly, AF will be responsible for the fair market value of her checked luggage up to a maximum of approximately $1,650.

While there are occasional advantages to credit cards, if the goal is to get your mother to TLV in one piece and with her essential needs taken care of if there are delays, don't let the form of payment be the determinant here.

I might have a different view if EC 261/2004 did not apply or if this were other than a simple connection to a fairly frequently-served final destination.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Practically speaking, your mother is on an aircraft operated by an EU carrier and then onwards on an EU carrier departing from the EU. While there may be minor vagaries, AF will have an obligation to rebook her in case of a misconnect, and also to take care of her hotel (if overnight) and meals (as appropriate). Similarly, AF will be responsible for the fair market value of her checked luggage up to a maximum of approximately $1,650.

While there are occasional advantages to credit cards, if the goal is to get your mother to TLV in one piece and with her essential needs taken care of if there are delays, don't let the form of payment be the determinant here.

I might have a different view if EC 261/2004 did not apply or if this were other than a simple connection to a fairly frequently-served final destination.
OK great thank you.

I made a mistake here BTW. I'm booking her tlv - nyc - tlv...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tonei

Usually it's disclosed during booking but there have been cases mentioned on FT occasionally - and I encountered it myself once - where no such disclosure was made during booking and yet the airline insisted on seeing the card at check in. I seem to recall DL will warn you during booking but can't recall for sure. If in doubt, the OP can always just give their mother the card to carry along if need be.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bklgafly
Air France booking though Delta using Delta gift card....
I think this will work only if you book a Delta codeshare flight operated by AF. If you book the AF flight number I do not think Delta will accept the giftcards as payment.

eGifts and Cards may only be used for travel on Delta Air Lines marketed flights, including those operated as Delta Connection® and by Delta Air Lines codeshare partners with a Delta Air Lines flight number.
https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPur...D_eGift_Launch[*]Denomincations
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great info everyone

Most likely I'll book with csr the entire thing .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.