Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need to cancel flight - best option to salvage those points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Spent points in getting one way American Airlines tickets from MIA-RDU ... and now I will have to cancel ( long story short, flying on Avianca from MIA-MAD, and they changed the return flight schedule which now has us landing in Miami very very late - effectively missing the final leg ( and since it is a separate ticket, Avianca does not need to do anything, and rightfully so).
Anyway - so if I cancel the tickets, then Chase Ultimate Rewards give me a credit voucher for $275 pp. But - when I go to use it ( and I can only use it via American), I will have to pay $200 as change fee per ticket. That leaves me with a whopping $27 per person I can play around with.
So the only option - purchasing one way MIA-RDU ticket ( no points left so i now pay cash). I am ok with paying for the tickets, it is about $200...oh well.
BUt - my question to you - are there any suggestions on any other options I have with the credit they are going to issue me? Trying to explore everything before I call them saying cancel, and give them the credit voucher which I probably wont end up using...
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Desirees
Spent points in getting one way American Airlines tickets from MIA-RDU ... and now I will have to cancel ( long story short, flying on Avianca from MIA-MAD, and they changed the return flight schedule which now has us landing in Miami very very late - effectively missing the final leg ( and since it is a separate ticket, Avianca does not need to do anything, and rightfully so).
Anyway - so if I cancel the tickets, then Chase Ultimate Rewards give me a credit voucher for $275 pp. But - when I go to use it ( and I can only use it via American), I will have to pay $200 as change fee per ticket. That leaves me with a whopping $27 per person I can play around with.
So the only option - purchasing one way MIA-RDU ticket ( no points left so i now pay cash). I am ok with paying for the tickets, it is about $200...oh well.
BUt - my question to you - are there any suggestions on any other options I have with the credit they are going to issue me? Trying to explore everything before I call them saying cancel, and give them the credit voucher which I probably wont end up using...
Thank you for your suggestions.
A little confused... $275-$200 = $27??

I had a similar situation once but had booked with Amex points for a $257 ticket. I canceled, and when I called American to use the voucher, they said a $200 change fee + another $50 fee (can't remember what it was for, but I think it was because I had booked third party) applied. So I had $7 credit, which I just abandoned.

How long until the flight? Not to cheer for a natural disaster, but it's hurricane season. If one barrels towards Miami near your flight date, you might get a change/cancellation waiver. It's not worth waiting on booking your new flight since last minute prices would be ridiculous, but if your remnant credit will only be $27, I'd consider just paying for your new flights now and waiting til last minute to cancel your old flight, hoping for a change/cancellation waiver by then. Personally I'd probably never use $27 towards a flight since I'd rather just redeem points for the flight cost.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus,AAdvantage,Skymiles
hope for a schedule change and get the whole ticket refunded or if you show up within, I m not sure, 2 or 4 hours after the original flight and claim the flat tire rule they will put you stand by on the next available flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.