Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Man Buys $60K Tesla with Ink Business Preferred & Plastiq...Earns 3X Points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man Buys $60K Tesla with Ink Business Preferred & Plastiq...Earns 3X Points!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Happy
Had he not talked to somebody at the media,
He could have did it again and again. That's why if I had a choice I'd rather be rich than famous.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had he not talked to somebody at the media, just how the media would know and the bragging become so widely publicized?
Fine. More specifically, his act of buying the Tesla wasn't likely the issue. It was his bragging.

Many, many people made very large purchases under this 3x deal. His was just the one spotlighted in the media.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Thank god I made the choice to pay off the rest of my car last month. It would have been a tough road to 5k spend for 3x points otherwise.

General rule of anything good: someone always ruins it for everyone.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Had he not talked to somebody at the media....
It seems he wrote about it for a blog in early June. The link in the CNBC article no longer finds the blog article, but a cached copy is here:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Ah. Everyone's favorite blog.

Not surprised that they took this content down.

Edit: Across all of my Inks, I've never had Chase let me go beyond the credit limit by a nickel. Having now read this article, I see he charged this all at once - and it was almost double his CL. Seems a little suspicious to me, but that's only based on my own experience with Chase. Even if I've paid extra in advance on the card, I've never been able to make a single charge that's larger than my CL.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Doesn't even need to transfer to come out ahead.

He's got 4.5c/point if he just uses the UR points to book travel through Chase's portal.
Er.., CSR pays 1.5c/point through the portal. I think you mean he gets 4.5c/dollar at 3x points/dollar.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Er.., CSR pays 1.5c/point through the portal. I think you mean he gets 4.5c/dollar at 3x points/dollar.
Yup. That is indeed what I meant.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 am

If I could buy a tesla like that I wouldn't care much about the points honestly lol
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
If I could buy a tesla like that I wouldn't care much about the points honestly lol
I agree overall. However, from reading the cached article, he is a mega points nerd and he probably saved quite a while, and him and his spouse share the car. So while he is clearly well off, he isn't as much of a hotshot as one might imagine. Good on him for getting the car, and leveraging Plastiq for the points, but the article and how he writes about it is just cringey.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you live in LA for any amount of time, you'll soon learn that people's cars are not at all representative of their wealth.

When you see a $90,000 car pull out of a rundown apartment building at 8 AM on their way to work, you get that the driver may not have made the best life choices.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
It seems he wrote about it for a blog in early June. The link in the CNBC article no longer finds the blog article, but a cached copy is here:<br /><br /><a href="https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t0QvDlJqYXkJ:https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/its-electric-how-i-earned-180985-points-purchasing-a-60000-tesla-with-a-credit-card/+&amp;amp;cd=4&amp;amp;hl=en&amp;amp;ct=clnk&amp;a mp;gl=us">https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t0QvDlJqYXkJ:https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/its-electric-how-i-earned-180985-points-purchasing-a-60000-tesla-with-a-credit-card/+&amp;cd=4&amp;hl=en&amp;ct=clnk&amp;gl=us</a>
<br /><br />Correct but that was limited in the blogsophere. Chase would not notice it unless it has dedicated resource to monitor potential abuses. That is why the 3x thru Plastiq even though being written up by virtually large and small blogs thru out the time it worked, it continued to work, until this is being broadcasted to the whole nation.<br /><br />But the date he bragged to media, there are numerous National medias reported that story, from CNBC to MSNBC to other names I dont remember any more. IIRC, even our local network station mentioned about it briefly. <br /><br />When I heard that from our local channel, I felt a bit sad for those who used it to pay their mortgages, car loans, student loans, tuition, apartment rentals, you named it even though myself never use Plastiq but many do. Now because someone wanted his 5 min fame, this avenue is permanently lost.<br /><br />The blog article since been deleted from the blog but of course Google cache makes it permanent, so his fame lived on, though not what he would have liked to see.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 24, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.