Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards transfers to KE (Korean Air) ENDED August 25, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards transfers to KE (Korean Air) ENDED August 25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:53 am
Community Director Emerita

I've spent some time studying the airline award chart, trying to determine what awards I'd likely want over the next two to three years. I've just done my final transfer. If I haven't called it right, I can augment with points from Hyatt or Marriott at a future date.

Originally Posted by RebelWithACoz
I'm not quite ready to book – my itinerary isn't set. Should I transfer the miles over right now so I can get the ticket later? Or would I have to get the ticket now?
I'm not familiar with the ticket that you want, but you do not need to transfer points and immediately use them. Korean Airlines has a 10 year expiration policy. You can use your points any time in that window.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Just transferred over enough for a RT USA-SE Asia flight + the change fee of 3k just in case.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by JHake10
+ the change fee of 3k just in case.
Smart! I didn't think of that.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:58 pm

I bit the bullet and transferred 480k UR over yesterday. Hasn’t deposited yet. Hoping more points can open doors to get the 3 of us onto the same flights in some variation of either biz or first class. The route I’m aiming for only has 787-9, so the first class and biz class seats are the same! Didn’t want to use more points for first class seats like that but I guess it’s only a slight premium but may mean we can all be on same flight. Didn’t transfer extra points for potential ticket cancellations. I guess I’ll deal with that if/when the time comes via Marriott transfer.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think I'm getting old. I ended up deciding not to transfer any and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe I' never fly KE again, but that's okay - I've had enough fun at their expense already! I'm sure other good opportunities will pop up for my UR, even as this game gets harder to win.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

Skypass to Hawaii

I am new to this site and the grind in general, but I see the vast experience around me. I transferred almost enough UR points to get Four economy tickets on Korean to Hawaii from mainland US. Online and on phone, there is no availability all next summer. Is this normal? I’m thinking I made a mistake. Also, I’m open to any suggestions.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by EZTraveler
....no availability all next summer.....
Are you searching for four seats or for any seats? These would be flights operated by Delta?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:02 pm

Skypass to Hawaii

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Are you searching for four seats or for any seats? These would be flights operated by Delta?
Yes, I am trying to get four in economy together. From what I have read, I get the general feeling that four together may be difficult. But I am very new at this and I learned of Chase and Skypass breaking it off at the last minute. Ultimately, I would like to pump out enough miles to do it in first class but honestly, I know my family would be so so happy if we could even do it in economy.

And yes, my understanding is that it would be with Delta but I just got a great idea... I could drive to Toronto... if I understand the way things work... that would open it up to other airlines too, maybe?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:11 am
mia

If your party is two adults and two children you should research availability for "2" seats, and consider the possibility of booking separate flights (1 adult + 1 child on each). You should be able to do this on the Korean Airlines website, no need to call to do preliminary search.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:22 am

I couldn’t find one when school is out. I am wondering if the award seats are not set out 11 months in advance. I’ll keep checking. Thanks for the pointers and the welcome!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I am new to this site and the grind in general, but I see the vast experience around me. I transferred almost enough UR points to get Four economy tickets on Korean to Hawaii from mainland US. Online and on phone, there is no availability all next summer. Is this normal? I’m thinking I made a mistake. Also, I’m open to any suggestions.
Award availability varies and will change frequently. And as you noted the more tickets you need together the more challenging. Keep checking and be as flexible as feasible.

Yes, I am trying to get four in economy together. From what I have read, I get the general feeling that four together may be difficult. But I am very new at this and I learned of Chase and Skypass breaking it off at the last minute. Ultimately, I would like to pump out enough miles to do it in first class but honestly, I know my family would be so so happy if we could even do it in economy.

And yes, my understanding is that it would be with Delta but I just got a great idea... I could drive to Toronto... if I understand the way things work... that would open it up to other airlines too, maybe?
That wouldn't provide more airline choices in this instance, but checking other origin airports may provide different award availability, so it's always worth checking. What airport are you searching from now?

The same holds true for your destination, e.g., if you're going to Maui but can only find award space to HNL, you could do that and then buy cash tickets to OGG (leaving sufficient time buffer). Inter-island flights are fairly affordable if you book ahead and/or watch for sales, IME.

I couldn’t find one when school is out. I am wondering if the award seats are not set out 11 months in advance. I’ll keep checking. Thanks for the pointers and the welcome!
DL opens up award bookings starting at 331 days in advance, so through 06 Aug 2019 as of today for example. That doesn't necessarily mean award seats will release on that day, of course. If or when award seats are released is dependent upon what the airline is forecasting. There's never a guarantee.

This thread on the KE forum may be useful to you. Good luck!

East Coast US to Hawaii on Korean for 25K points
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:45 am

i did learn that DL dominates the route from Toronto too but Air Mexico was also a candidate if you want to add another half day. Also, yes it is a KE points on SkyTeam booking (almost definitely going to be DL) so while the value is great, it’s so good that I’ve probably got some competition. DL serves 4 Hawaii ports and I have been checking them all. Anyway, it’s good to hear that I am approaching this right, and that my guess as to when awards are available is not way off. I am new.... I keep hearing about people getting around the world for free... my goal was half price to Hawaiifor my family from Ohio.... not too crazy. I’ll stick with it and hopefully something will come through.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:45 am

I did my last 225k on the 23rd. Posted and redeemed for 3 J class flights from SFO-ICN-CEB for next summer.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:46 pm
mia

Question about the Skypass VISA has been moved to the thread discussing that card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred......-miles.html
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Korean Air Gone. Now What?

My absolute favorite use of UR points was using them for flights abroad in F as there was always availability with KE. But now that KE is gone, I’m stuck with where to park my points. I’m not too familiar with the other programs except United. But since their redemption rates are ludicrous, does anyone have any other suggestions? I’m interested in fairly priced F and J international travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.