Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards transfers to KE (Korean Air) ENDED August 25, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards transfers to KE (Korean Air) ENDED August 25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
This is really frustrating. KE had some great redemption and also a big blow to service to Asia/Pacific as they had great route map. Hoping Chase can find an alternative to bring on board. Side note: annoying such short notice....
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sigma6
....if they jack up award prices suddenly, I won't have another means of earning huge amounts of points without another CC partner.
Korean Skypass is a Marriott transfer partner. If I understand the new Marriott redemption structure correctly, and ignoring category bonuses, $30,000 spent on a Chase Marriott or American Express Starwood card will earn 60,000 new Marriott points, sufficient to transfer for 25,000 KE miles.

Korean Skypass is also a Hyatt transfer partner. $33,333 spent on a Chase Unlimited card will earn 50,000 UR points = 50,000 Hyatt points = 25,000 KE miles.

Neither of these paths is as cost effective as the current partnership, but you will have a reasonable path if you need to top off the account later.
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 15, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mia
Korean Skypass is a Marriott transfer partner. If I understand the new Marriott redemption structure correctly, and ignoring category bonuses, $30,000 spent on a Chase Marriott or American Express Starwood card will earn 60,000 new Marriott points, sufficient to transfer for 25,000 KE miles.

Korean Skypass is also a Hyatt transfer partner. $33,333 spent on a Chase Unlimited card will earn 50,000 UR points = 50,000 Hyatt points = 25,000 KE miles.

Neither of these paths is as cost effective as the current partnership, but you will have a reasonable path if you need to top off the account later.
Good points! I didn't know about the Hyatt avenue. The one exception with the Marriott cards, is Premier Business version only earns 1 point per dollar outside of the bonus categories. But it, and the other SPG/Marriott cards also have welcome bonus offers that can be a boost as well. Though be sure and study the byzantine rules if you have any existing cards:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...it-card-rules/

In theory there are the two USBank SkyPass cards...though the standard card's regular welcome bonus offers fluctuate regularly from 30K to as low as 5K IIRC, but some folks have received targeted mailers for up to 45K...but I don't think it has category bonuses besides for KE purchases. There is a new $450 "premium" version - it's not the most compelling offering...a 30K signup bonus, travel credit & a few other perks, although it does have 2X miles on airline, hotel, and car rental FWIW.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:14 pm

Speculative transfer now?

I earn about 250K UR points each year - current stash is about 350K. I do SE Asia often. Are Korean Air rewards significantly better value than other UR partners that go to Asia?

I think SQ discounted is 88K one-way in J. Of course CX using AS miles is also 55K in J.

Does Korean restrict to R/T awards? Or is that just for partner award bookings?

Enough to recommend stashing some points there before they stop the partnership?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It was either their choice or they didn't do enough to keep it from happening. Either way it's on them.
And when will you be cancelling your Chase UR based cards?

Regards
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
I earn about 250K UR points each year - current stash is about 350K. I do SE Asia often. Are Korean Air rewards significantly better value than other UR partners that go to Asia?

I think SQ discounted is 88K one-way in J. Of course CX using AS miles is also 55K in J.

Korean Air has much better availability in first class than SQ.

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Does Korean restrict to R/T awards? Or is that just for partner award bookings?

Enough to recommend stashing some points there before they stop the partnership?
Korean allows one-way bookings on their own metal, but only R/T if partners are involved.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Korean Air has much better availability in first class than SQ.
Less true now than it was six months ago. KE availability has really declined. And SQ has a much better product.

That said, KE off peak pricing is pretty good and if you fly from one of their US gateways, it's still a very solid option in J or F.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Less true now than it was six months ago. KE availability has really declined. And SQ has a much better product.

That said, KE off peak pricing is pretty good and if you fly from one of their US gateways, it's still a very solid option in J or F.
My plans are flexible but if memory serves -
SQ J from BNK - SIN - LAX was 88K / 172K in J
In checking a similar flight on KE (maybe worse product) would be 60K / 120K in J

Since both are coming from UR points - it seems KE saves a lot no?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Just called in to see if I could get a hold, just in case, and nope.
Called back today and DID get a hold. 30 days to ticket it while the points move over.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... KE availability has really declined. ....
Perhaps this tells us something important about why they are leaving Ultimate Rewards. Too many many miles chasing the award inventory.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is very disappointing. This was a terrific partner and leaves a real gap in easy front of the plane availability to Asia.

Does anyone know off hand how many points it takes to fly USA-Korea-Vietnam in F one way? I hate to risk orphaning points there but on the other hand, I was really looking forward to booking that award in the next two years.
95,000 points one way off peak.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps this tells us something important about why they are leaving Ultimate Rewards. Too many many miles chasing the award inventory.
Actually, KE cut their releases dramatically earlier this year. It was really obvious, availability just fell off a cliff. Several of the bloggers commented on this.

It certainly seems likely this is part of an overall reaction by KE to the bloggers pumping KE F redemptions, but that's just speculation.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Actually, KE cut their releases dramatically earlier this year. It was really obvious, availability just fell off a cliff. Several of the bloggers commented on this.

It certainly seems likely this is part of an overall reaction by KE to the bloggers pumping KE F redemptions, but that's just speculation.
points bloggers are a cancer
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by scubadu
And when will you be cancelling your Chase UR based cards?

Regards
sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to criticize moves that negatively impact me without canceling my card.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Please forgive a complete newbie question. I've been saving Ultimate Reward points to get Korean Air's around-the-world trip ticket. I think they're the last airline offering this (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not quite ready to book – my itinerary isn't set. Should I transfer the miles over right now so I can get the ticket later? Or would I have to get the ticket now? Any advice on any aspect of this would be wonderful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.