Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Chase take back miles if travel insurance refunds expenses?

Old Jul 11, 18, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Buying airfare on a flight helped me meet the criteria for 80,000 bonus chase ultimate points but now a month or two after rec the Chase ultimate bonus miles I will have to cancel my trip due to health, fortunately I had purchased trip insurance so I will not lose money on the airfare but my question is sometimes Visa in the past offered trip insurance, and may still do, had I gone that route and sought the Visa trip insurance as a remedy, instead of private trip insurance, would chase take back the bonus miles?
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dearelliot View Post
Buying airfare on a flight helped me meet the criteria for 80,000 bonus chase ultimate points but now a month or two after rec the Chase ultimate bonus miles I will have to cancel my trip due to health, fortunately I had purchased trip insurance so I will not lose money on the airfare but my question is sometimes Visa in the past offered trip insurance, and may still do, had I gone that route and sought the Visa trip insurance as a remedy, instead of private trip insurance, would chase take back the bonus miles?
I'm not sure why they would. The trip cancellation insurance coverage is provided pursuant to an insurance policy that Chase (or maybe Visa) purchases. If you made a successful claim, you would not normally see a credit appear on your Chase credit-card account; instead, you would receive a settlement check from the insurance company.

Since you would not be receiving a statement credit on your Chase account, your minimum-spend requirement would remain satisfied.
bgriff likes this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I'm not sure why they would. The trip cancellation insurance coverage is provided pursuant to an insurance policy that Chase (or maybe Visa) purchases. If you made a successful claim, you would not normally see a credit appear on your Chase credit-card account; instead, you would receive a settlement check from the insurance company.

Since you would not be receiving a statement credit on your Chase account, your minimum-spend requirement would remain satisfied.
this is correct, if your claim is approved, they send u a check. It does nothing with your credit card company.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is insurance comes with the Chase card benefits, your insurance reimbursement is paid either by an ACH or by a check. On the claim approval email you are given a direct link to make the choice of payment method.
It does not go back to your original form of payment.

On the other hand, the refund from an airline on canceled flight due to whatever eligible reasons, would go back to the original form of payment, ditto for prepaid hotel stays.
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Okay so as it turns out, I was not aware that the airline refunds the tax, of $510.00 which will reduce the total amount I charged during the 90day period for Bonus miles, to below the $5000 required level. So now I will have a credit to the my Chase credit card account, I am now unsure what chase will do. Two things have happened, 1 I was awarded the 80000 bonus Chase ultimate rewards miles, and 2 I did transfer them to my United Airlines miles program. but I still have another 100K miles in my chase ultimate rewards program that 80000 miles may be in jeopardy.