Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling CSR- But What's Next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by festriaqua
Thanks for the tip! I did that and was able find the 50K offer for the Gold! ...Then I scrolled down the page and saw A 75K OFFER for the Plat

Life is full of surprises

Can you share where you went/clicked?! Were you logged into the AMEX site?

I can't spring on the 60K Plat offer, but 75K is a maybe!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

You need to work on your budget and spending on a spreadsheet. It is a rather simple practice. We all get different life styles.

If your style is relatively simple, get the Chase CSR. AmEx MR system is complex and is not easy without some dedication to the reward games.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Agreed. What I meant was on a point per dollar basis, without consideration to the actual value of each point.
Currently 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott points. 2 points under the new structure may look twice as much on the surface, but rather a devaluation.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Business Platinum 100k offer is widely available, but the card differs significantly from the personal version. Benefits are similar, but the rewards have important variations.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I have both the CSR and the AMEX Plat. As has been mentioned, the Plat has wonderful benefits, but unless the CSR, only so-so rewards structure for anything but flights. I like the Plat for the benefits, and wanted to keep it. I ran the numbers, and found that I “make a profit” on the CSR even after the fee, because of earning point bonuses for dining and cruises (and of course the $300 credit) that get no bonuses on the Plat. So at least in my mind, I’m justified in keeping both. Except for very expensive flights, I actually use the CSR instead of the Plat even for air fare because of the better insurance benefits. As a result, I only have non-travel and non-dining expenses on the Plat, but AMEX doesn’t seem to mind. I think there’s an argument for both cards, or at least for exchanging AU status for you and your spouse.

I had the Ritz Carlton card as well, but cancelled it. Unless you can stay at Ritz Carlton regularly, I don’t think the card justifies itself. If you can do that, based on locations and expense, I suspect it would be great! Though in my opinion not a substitute for the Platinum card. As always, YMMV.

On the Ritz Carlton card, I was always able to get the travel credit comped easily buying upgrades to economy plus seats on Delta. Having to call is admittedly a nuisance.

Last edited by Mike B; Jul 15, 2018 at 11:29 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike B
On the Ritz Carlton card, I was always able to get the travel credit comped easily buying upgrades to economy plus seats on Delta. Having to call is admittedly a nuisance.
I've never called to receive the travel credit - I use Chase's secure messaging, and it's always credited by the next day.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jiaogulan

If OP can wait for a few months, might be able to get the 100K offer instead. Last two years, it has popped up around Thanksgiving.

Personally, I find Amex Plat has the most utility. Their benefits are fairly easy to use, must have for free entry to SkyClubs, and have gotten some decent mileage out of using Concierge for random things. It's also Amex's top card, which keeps them happy as well while I go after all their bonuses
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had the Ritz Carlton card as well, but cancelled it. Unless you can stay at Ritz Carlton regularly, I don’t think the card justifies itself. If you can do that, based on locations and expense, I suspect it would be great! Though in my opinion not a substitute for the Platinum card. As always, YMMV.

The RC card has a couple of use cases that make it worth keeping outside of having paid stays there, but admittedly they're pretty specific. If you use the $100 Visa Infinite flight discount program even a couple times a year it can be worth it, though this requires you travel paid with at least 2+ tickets. Also if you want to get multiple Priority Pass memberships for a spouse, kids, etc. the RC is a great card since they don't charge for AUs.

The travel credit is a bit annoying to have to call/SM but I've never had a problem buying SW gift cards and getting them reimbursed.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jiaogulan

I found a link in incognito for a 50K Amex Gold offer, clicked on "apply" and waited for the page to time out. Then, on the timed out page I went to the top and clicked on "view all cards" and the 75K offer was there. I tried this method a couple of times, on different devices, browsers and with different offers (mainly trying to see if a 100K offer would appear), but the 75K is the highest I was able to find. I think there is a guide in the FT Amex section detailing this trick...

I ended up applying for the Platinum card through the 75K offer. I'm not too greedy and am fine with a lower offer; but, the 60K bonus just didn't seem like they were trying hard enough...

I have both the CSR and the AMEX Plat. As has been mentioned, the Plat has wonderful benefits, but unless the CSR, only so-so rewards structure for anything but flights. I like the Plat for the benefits, and wanted to keep it. I ran the numbers, and found that I “make a profit” on the CSR even after the fee, because of earning point bonuses for dining and cruises (and of course the $300 credit) that get no bonuses on the Plat. So at least in my mind, I’m justified in keeping both. Except for very expensive flights, I actually use the CSR instead of the Plat even for air fare because of the better insurance benefits. As a result, I only have non-travel and non-dining expenses on the Plat, but AMEX doesn’t seem to mind. I think there’s an argument for both cards, or at least for exchanging AU status for you and your spouse.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
If OP can wait for a few months, might be able to get the 100K offer instead. Last two years, it has popped up around Thanksgiving.

Personally, I find Amex Plat has the most utility. Their benefits are fairly easy to use, must have for free entry to SkyClubs, and have gotten some decent mileage out of using Concierge for random things. It's also Amex's top card, which keeps them happy as well while I go after all their bonuses
Thank you all! I have been reading a lot on the benefits of having BOTH CSR and the Platinum and is now thinking to keep both, at least for 1 year, to test the waters. I really like the 3x earning on the CSR and how easy it is to use it. I just wished they are more proactive at adding/improving the card's benefits on a regular basis...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.